Sg: little chance to win the cl - Appropriate statement?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:03 pm

I really like SG as a player. His work rate is second to none,  I also know how much he loves the club and didn't want to run his contract down and become a free agent (which would have been a disaster for us).

but i think all of this "will he or won't he go" talk is no good for the club. It doesn't allow Benitez to plan for the future for one thing. We have a lot to thank SG for and when he goes in the summer as i'm positive he will, we will be able to thank him for the millions he has made us. It will be for the best i'm sure.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:10 pm

A.B. wrote:This is what frustrates me about Gerrard. He shouldn't have this attitude as he's the captain.

The problem is that he listens to his advisers.  I'm sure that he is prompted to say these things.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:22 pm

Benitez is starting to show us glimpses of his steel. I think he needs SG to get us 4th spot but I would imagine that at the end of the season it will be quick whether he stays or goes.

He also has to show the rest of the squad who runs the show so my prediction would be that early on regardless of who he plans to buy sell etc the SG situation will get resolved sooner rather than later as per the Owen situation
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:41 pm

taff wrote:Benitez is starting to show us glimpses of his steel. I think he needs SG to get us 4th spot but I would imagine that at the end of the season it will be quick whether he stays or goes.

He also has to show the rest of the squad who runs the show so my prediction would be that early on regardless of who he plans to buy sell etc the SG situation will get resolved sooner rather than later as per the Owen situation

:cool: Spot on Taff, hes said today he was exremely angry at the loss at Brum, and theres no messing about the bush with Rafa either, Owen, Le Tallec.
I also think if he had another Midfielder available plus Alonso, we may have even seen Gerrard dropped as I can imagine hes sick of all this talk aswell.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:47 pm

I think its a case of we need him at this moment in time.  I would love him to stay and there is too much written and said about him but I get the feeling that come the end of the season its your either with me or your not

Benitez was honest about the Owen affair as he did try to play the innocent well they sold me

He's started to publicy say if he's not happy about something

The only thing with SG is he has not hidden the fact that if he doesnt think were gonna go somewhere he will leave and if thats the case the message to other class players is their best player doesnt think its worth staying there so if he goes I expect a nasty war of words as RB has to attract other players and convince them were worth coming to

Now if that means dragging SG's name through the mud then it will be let battle commence time as RB's job is to win things with us

Nobody will come out of this good and I hope it doesnt happen but my gut feeling is the summer is gonna be nasty but were gonna end up with one man in charge of the club
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has put a downer on things ahead of tonight's match by saying that the club has little chance of winning the Champions League.

Although he could be right, we'd expect a more positive attitude from the skipper at least until after the match is out of the way.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, Gerrard said: "Let's be realistic, there are some fantastic teams left in the Champions League. We are just going to try to stay in as long as possible but we realise that maybe it is not our year this year."

The Liverpool skipper has gone on record numerous times saying how important it is for him to play in the Champions League so the club will be hoping to make progress in the hope of persuading him to stay at Anfield.

Gerrard added: "It's big couple of months for Liverpool. We're fighting for the fourth spot for the Champions League for next season but we are still involved in two cup competitions, which are very important.

"We are confident we can upset Chelsea in the Carling Cup final and get to the last eight of the Champions League because, financially, it is big for the club and, personally for myself, it is very good."

Steven gerrard did say this ,i heard it from his mouth word for word on radio five live this afternoon,i coudnt believe what i was hearing,i was ****** gobsmacked.still am.
jack66

Postby jack66 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Its a deafetest attitude and must rub off on the other players.
jack66

Postby jack66 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:18 pm

Sorry defeatest:p
jack66

Postby jack66 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:25 pm

Try again,DEFEATIST.What a w@nker
jack66

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:04 pm

Thats twice he's said it before our CL matches.......cant wait till summer to see how much we get for him, the potential is huge, and we should have got a lot more for Owen if Houllier sold him at the first whimper that he wanted to leave. Once a player has any doubt, he should be off loaded, simply because he isnt playing for the shirt anymore, rather thinking about where he will be come transfer windows.

Ridiculous that Stevie be reading a magazine while the team fight tooth and nail on the pitch. Your a joke.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:26 am

I think he was wromg to say this but it is not the end of the world. Perhaps it was a poor attempt at a bit of reverse psychology - if so it worked!!.

We could win the CL, many avergage sides have won it in the past - the most recent i can think of being Red Star Belgrade a few years ago i am sure there are more - after all Monaco reached the final last year were and are very average as a football team.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:10 am

The captains comments were ill timed and unessesary even if he was expressing an honest opinion. crazy thing is they were probably better than any team talk Rafa could have given.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:26 am

Anfield rapper wrote:I really like SG as a player. His work rate is second to none,  I also know how much he loves the club and didn't want to run his contract down and become a free agent (which would have been a disaster for us).

but i think all of this "will he or won't he go" talk is no good for the club. It doesn't allow Benitez to plan for the future for one thing. We have a lot to thank SG for and when he goes in the summer as i'm positive he will, we will be able to thank him for the millions he has made us. It will be for the best i'm sure.

No mess , If i was rick parry, I'd be trying my best to skin Abramovich's pockets. I'd say "you want him" ? cough up 50 miliion! Cheers.!
Iceman69

Postby Santa » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:40 am

The team's performance and win tonight have really put the socks into Stevie's big mouth for we played well and got a result without him (...again!) His ill timed statements before tonight's game and the vital Olympiakos game is not the conduct befitting a LFC captain and a born and bred Scoucer. If he's trying to get the fan to go against him so he can use that as a reason to leave...well don't bother for the statistic and the performance tonight showed that we are no one-man team.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leonantoni » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:23 am

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:
leonantoni wrote:

Steven an idiot ?

What are you on Liverpool 4 EVA ??? Huh ????

NEGATIVE OR NOT, we wouldn't even be in the CL if it were for SG >>> You STUPID SH*T.

We wouldn't be talking about the CL now, just be in the UEFA Cup.

GET SOME PILLS INTO YOUR HEAD  :p 

:angry:

leonantoni, you FU(KIN W*nk*R, id smash your FU(IN face in if you where here.

Yeah STEVEN GERRARD is not only an idiot he is a FU(KIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

He's not bigger than this club you know

NOW PI*S OFF

HEY PRETTY BOY U TALK FULL OF SH*T

I ASK U ONE QUESTION ??

IS HE SHAGGIN YOUR OLD LADY ?

OR YOUR WIFE ?

OR YOUR SISTER?

YOUR NEICE ?

GRAN ?

:D

Settle now........
leonantoni