Setanta live games

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:21 pm

I certainly won't be forking out an extra £9.99 a month for a couple of extra Liverpool games and the rest od the cr@p fixtures that $ky don't want. For the Liverpool games good ol' Football First and MOTD will suffice.

I Just don't see how this is better for the armchair fan. Yes we now have the choice of which provider to go to for live games, but when one of them is only showing the left overs that the other doesn't want and yet you still have to pay a subscription I just see as the fans being fleeced again. It's not really opening it upto to that many fans who don't have sky or cable as you need a certain type of freeview box to get the Setanta games that many don't have. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the E U bigwigs want to give the fans a better, fairer deal then make the premier league offer a small package of game to terrestrial broadcasters only.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:33 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:I certainly won't be forking out an extra £9.99 a month for a couple of extra Liverpool games and the rest od the cr@p fixtures that $ky don't want. For the Liverpool games good ol' Football First and MOTD will suffice.

I Just don't see how this is better for the armchair fan. Yes we now have the choice of which provider to go to for live games, but when one of them is only showing the left overs that the other doesn't want and yet you still have to pay a subscription I just see as the fans being fleeced again. It's not really opening it upto to that many fans who don't have sky or cable as you need a certain type of freeview box to get the Setanta games that many don't have. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the E U bigwigs want to give the fans a better, fairer deal then make the premier league offer a small package of game to terrestrial broadcasters only.

The EU gave terrestrial networks an opportunity to get games but they didnt bid high enough.  It will be unfair to networks such as setanta if it was made compulsory for
Terrestrial tv to get games and also it would mean less tv money.  I have no sympathy for terrestrial networks when it comes to sport.  I remember the outcry when Sky got all the cricket and people were moaning that the ashes wouldnt be on terrestrial tv.  What those same people failed to mention that without Skys money English cricket would be dead.  Same with Super League Rugby and darts.  Again it was sky which got the sports back on there feet.
puroresu

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:33 pm

I have sky, that's good enough for me. Match of the Day will be viewed when Setanta or 3pm kick offs take place.
Graeme Noble

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:44 pm

puroresu wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:I certainly won't be forking out an extra £9.99 a month for a couple of extra Liverpool games and the rest od the cr@p fixtures that $ky don't want. For the Liverpool games good ol' Football First and MOTD will suffice.

The EU gave terrestrial networks an opportunity to get games but they didnt bid high enough.  It will be unfair to networks such as setanta if it was made compulsory for
Terrestrial tv to get games and also it would mean less tv money.  I have no sympathy for terrestrial networks when it comes to sport.  I remember the outcry when Sky got all the cricket and people were moaning that the ashes wouldnt be on terrestrial tv.  What those same people failed to mention that without Skys money English cricket would be dead.  Same with Super League Rugby and darts.  Again it was sky which got the sports back on there feet.

You are right about Sky pumping lots of money into various english sports and that the terrestrial channels did have an opportunity to get some live footie but didn't pay for it. However what I was trying to get at (probably didn't word it right - in work when writing it) is that the EU claimed to be trying to make it a fairer more open playing field for the rights bidding and that the fans would have easier better access to live games. Had they really wanted to do that then the EU could have stipulated that a small number of games should be sold only to a terrestrial bidder.
As it is I don't see the new arrangements as being that much better for the fans but it sure as hell is better for the Premier League and its clubs. As they say, 'The rich just carry on getting richer' and feck the working fan.  :no
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:18 pm

Theres a guy who has a market stall near where i live, i was on there Sunday and saw these boxes i asked him what it was he whispered 'Its a magic box !' and that it gives you every cable channel for free ( apart from the price of the magic box obviously) . At the time i didn't see the point in getting one but now the more i think about it i will be there next Sunday
destro

Postby puroresu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
puroresu wrote:

You are right about Sky pumping lots of money into various english sports and that the terrestrial channels did have an opportunity to get some live footie but didn't pay for it. However what I was trying to get at (probably didn't word it right - in work when writing it) is that the EU claimed to be trying to make it a fairer more open playing field for the rights bidding and that the fans would have easier better access to live games. Had they really wanted to do that then the EU could have stipulated that a small number of games should be sold only to a terrestrial bidder.
As it is I don't see the new arrangements as being that much better for the fans but it sure as hell is better for the Premier League and its clubs. As they say, 'The rich just carry on getting richer' and feck the working fan.  :no

Good point.  I think the EU just wanted to break a monopoly.  They didnt care who else got games as long as it wasnt just one channel.  I'm just relieved Setanta aint tried no BS in raising prices now they got Prem games.
puroresu

Postby redmikey » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:38 pm

who will be signing up for lfc tv on sentana then,,

i think i will stick to arab tv up the pub unless it gets great reviews
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 pm

wow I never realized it was so complicated to watch football.  You can watch your local American football team every week for free in America if you still used an antenna, but regardless every game for you local team is shown on FOX or CBS. if you pay for sunday ticket on sateltite then you get ALL the games.  Much better system IMO.
JoeTerp

Postby hello_red » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:03 pm

JoeTerp wrote:wow I never realized it was so complicated to watch football.  You can watch your local American football team every week for free in America if you still used an antenna, but regardless every game for you local team is shown on FOX or CBS. if you pay for sunday ticket on sateltite then you get ALL the games.  Much better system IMO.

if the uk was to do that there would still not be enough money to cover what is now covered by sky etc subscriptions. your population size is three times ours so your sports are covered by this simpler system. wish we could do that though  :oops:
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:13 pm

I have Setanta as part of a package costing about 24Euro (£16 per month - about 50 channels)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:04 pm

I was going to snub the sentanta package, but LFC tv has swayed me a bit.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm

for me it depends on the content, ihave seen a bit of chav tv and it isn't worth watching, hopefully our will be run by Granada tv as they have an interest in the club
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby DavvaMak » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:20 pm

hopefully our will be run by Granada tv as they have an interest in the club

surely granada had to give up there shares to hicks/gillette.

a satellite dish and a decent reciever like a dreambox is pretty much all you need for watching footy if you can't get to the game. i never missed a single game last season, the only downside is david f'in pleat commentating.
DavvaMak

Postby Reg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Liverpool To Launch TV Channel

Liverpool have announced they will launch their own TV channel in September.

The club have agreed a three year deal with Setanta Sports and LFC TV will be available as part of a nine channel Setanta Sports package.

Chief Executive Rick Parry is excited about the development and told the clubs official site:

'We've been thinking about this for some time, but until Setanta came to us with an extremely attractive offer, I wasn't entirely convinced by the traditional model of club TV stations.'

'What's attractive about this package is it's available to all subscribers. The channel is effectively a free addition on top of what's available as part of the Setanta Sports pack.

'The channel heralds a new era for Liverpool Football Club. We always welcome the opportunity to engage with our fantastic fan-base and LFC TV will bring them closer to the club and the team they love, at what is a very exciting time both on and off the pitch.'
++

I chuckle when the schoolboys rant and rave that Parry should be sacked. The fella has worked his bowlocks off for the last 12 months as can clearly be seen with the string of announcements made in the past 4 months.

Good on yer Rick, well done mate.

Schoolboys, back in yer bedrooms and do your homework so you too can grow up to be like Big Rick.    :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:45 pm

At £9.99 a month including LFC TV it's a steal, you can't complain at that price.
weringo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion