Set pieces

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby steven-lfc-forever » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:34 pm

dont you think now that are set pieces should be top quality

we have gerrard riise hamann and ciise to strike for goal

and in the box hyypia, crouch, morientes

imagine if we got figo to cross for them 3....

what you think about are corners and free kicks this year ???
steven-lfc-forever

Postby rafasredmen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:41 pm

I think we need to settle on a penalty taker sooner rather than later.I'm sure i remember Stevie G saying that was it for penalties last season after missing,Xavi missed in the final and Didi missed last night so who's the man for the job?
rafasredmen

Postby Afroman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:44 pm

It depends who plays Morientes can strike a a ball and so can Garcia which one is etter
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:48 pm

didnt reina take penatlies for his old club? just something i heard that he can at least do for shootouts. dont want him up the wrong end of the pitch if hes gonna miss and keep the ball in play
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:49 pm

firstly, its OUR set pieces, or OUR corners. can't believe so many people write ARE for this.

*takes off good english tsar hat*

and yes, obviously our set pieces should be of the highest quality - but they should be anyway. we have two of the best deliverers of the ball in alonso and gerrard, hamman is also pretty good with the dead ball, we also have one of the fiercest strikers of the ball in riise.

i think we'll see more goals from headers from corners for sure. people aren't going to get caught out by the deep corner to an unmarked riise for much longer.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:51 pm

even the best deliverers of the ball can miss from 12 yards ???
destro

Postby Afroman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:57 pm

They shouldn't miss, if any thing it should be saved
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 pm

i dnt get why gerrard takes corners... alonso's always look MUCH more dangerous, and gerrard would be more useful on edge of the box.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby jeffiroquai » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:01 pm

Cisse should be taking the pen's.  Xavi/or and Figo the corners.  Gerrard/Riise/Figo the Free's.
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:13 pm

I just wish they would stop playing silly bug.gers when it comes to set pieces. Does anyone remember that time Baros tried to be sly by tapping the ball when no-one was watching and then someone else ran up to it and started dribbling towards the goal? What's the point? And when we have a free kick on the edge of the area, why don't we just get Gerrard or Riise to thump it or Alonso to float it, instead of tapping it around and spreading it to a runner? It might work one time out of ten. Pointless really.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:31 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:I just wish they would stop playing silly bug.gers when it comes to set pieces. Does anyone remember that time Baros tried to be sly by tapping the ball when no-one was watching and then someone else ran up to it and started dribbling towards the goal? What's the point? And when we have a free kick on the edge of the area, why don't we just get Gerrard or Riise to thump it or Alonso to float it, instead of tapping it around and spreading it to a runner? It might work one time out of ten. Pointless really.

dont know if you've noticed but teams tend to throw a few heads in front of the dangerous free-kicks.

we appeared to create some maverick set pieces last term,I say keep it up,obviously we need to burst an onion bag now and again for the sake of variety
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:41 pm

neil wrote:dont know if you've noticed but teams tend to throw a few heads in front of the dangerous free-kicks.

you don't say? All I am suggesting is that with talent like Stevie G and Alonso, we should, for something a bit different, just try a normal free kick. Lesser players from lesser teams have joy with it, why do we have to fart about trying to draw the wall out. Do our players not have this ability? Of course they do. And if Riise or Didi hit one towards a wall I bet a few would duck (and if they didn't they'd probably get taken off with concussion and fewer teeth). I have no problem with innovation, but in some situations, why not try and be normal. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be normal.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:43 pm

Gerrard preferre's to have the ball rolling with free kick's like Riise does, don't think he's too hot with dead ball situation's and a wall 10 yard's in front. I know for sure Bolo Zenden can hit a good dead ball free kick, as can Alonso. For penalties I think Cisse should step up and be the main man, from what I seen he put's them away nicely. Believe it or not, Carragher is a very good spot kicker as well.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:48 pm

bring back gary mac
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby rafasredmen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:19 pm

Well so far Cisses' getting the vote for penalties, not too many left to try anyway.
rafasredmen

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion