Set pieces

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 pm

whoever is feelin confident shud take the pens.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 pm

Gary mac takes the best corners i'v ever seen the way he floated them in and then someone like hyypia just had to get their head on it and it was in.

Anyway last season we took too man short corners it was always gerrard corner short to garcia and he lost the ball. That is something that really frustrated me last season and probably why we didn't get many goals from corners because 1. the ball wasn't getting crossed in 2. Teams in the premiership always knew we were going to do short corners and sused it out.

Screw the short corners and do them properly!!!!!!!
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 pm

rafasredmen wrote:Well so far Cisses' getting the vote for penalties, not too many left to try anyway.

:D  :D  :D  Too true, maybe Reina will end up banging in penalties for us.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby steven-lfc-forever » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

i think it shud be riise or ciise taking penalties.......riise hitting a free ball from 12 yards as hard as he can should not miss the net.....either the keeper saves it or it shud be a goal
steven-lfc-forever

Postby A.B. » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:14 pm

Riise is horrible at taking penalties.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby neil » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:42 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:we should, for something a bit different, just try a normal free kick. Lesser players from lesser teams have joy with it, why do we have to fart about trying to draw the wall out.

I arrest my case
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:47 pm

I like the fact that Finnan took one last night, he could be good.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:27 pm

neil wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:we should, for something a bit different, just try a normal free kick. Lesser players from lesser teams have joy with it, why do we have to fart about trying to draw the wall out.

I arrest my case

The phrase is "I rest my case".  ???
All I was pointing out was a different option, no need to make this personal. Am I allowed an opinion on this subject? And I still don't understand what you are trying to say about my point.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:45 am

riise is gd? u got to be kidding mi, he miss the penalty in the finals. a great striker of the ball may not be a gd penalty taker, one with composure should take it, i think cisse should be the one.. strike with pace and accuracy.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby neil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:53 am

The Ace1983 wrote:The phrase is "I rest my case".  ???
All I was pointing out was a different option, no need to make this personal. Am I allowed an opinion on this subject? And I still don't understand what you are trying to say about my point.

firstly,I've only ever heard the phrase on the telly and thought it looked wrong as soon as I tapped my keyboard.
secondly,try not to take this personally,i have for years been sick of seeing thicko free kicks from hamman etc just hit the wall or some dude in the stand,suddenly we seem to have a few ideas and you suggest we should go back to the way it was.Thats all.  :)
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:50 am

neil wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:The phrase is "I rest my case".  ???

firstly,I've only ever heard the phrase on the telly and thought it looked wrong as soon as I tapped my keyboard.
secondly,try not to take this personally,i have for years been sick of seeing thicko free kicks from hamman etc just hit the wall or some dude in the stand,suddenly we seem to have a few ideas and you suggest we should go back to the way it was.Thats all.  :)

OK, we got our wires crossed. I know what you mean about those low, driven shots (typically from Hamman) hitting the wall and being fruitless. But that's not what I want. I would just like to see something a bit more Beckham-esque (without the silly haircuts, unless Cisse wants a go  :D  ) as I think we have the quality now to do so. I'm not saying that we should exclusivley stick to those either as SOME of our more innovative free-kicks have worked very well, but no-one likes to see waste and it has to be said that sometimes Gerrard, Alonso et al, are trying to be a little too innovative and instead of shots hitting the wall, we see passes charged down by opposing defenders. Traditional = good, Innovation = good, Waste = very bad.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:56 am

and if we get Figo-bingo ! :p
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:08 am

neil wrote:and if we get Figo-bingo ! :p

exactly. He can curl, drive and innovate.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:18 am

Ace, Neil i actually agree with you both.

Before Rafa we did waste so many free kicks when Hamann drilled them either straight into the wall or high and wide.
There were obvious exceptions...a Riise blockbuster against the scum and a Hamann cracker away at Fulham, also Danny Murphy scored a few.
Rafa has tried to change it, some have looked really clever and inventive and NEARLY created a goal, and i think given time we will see results.
But like Ace said there should be a bit of variety and we should be having direct shots from good positions some of the time as well...keep the opposition guessing.
Its the same with short corners, they should be tried every now and again just to keep the opposition on there toes...not every corner wasting a good attacking opportunity.
Penalties is a tricky one, i would give them to Cisse myself, i think its important to have a set penalty taker and not just ask someone who fancies it at the time.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:39 am

neil wrote:we appeared to create some maverick set pieces last term,I say keep it up,obviously we need to burst an onion bag now and again for the sake of variety

I said that to :grinning:

good thread this :)
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion