Serious question - Why not Martin O'Neill?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Homebooby » Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 am wrote:Is he funny? Has he got a good sense of humour?
In his tv appearences he always comes across as dour and boring
???

So Ian Holloway it is then? Strange comment Thommo. Lot of respect for you and your views, but you've lost me.
Homebooby

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Why would we want a long ball merchant? Might as well go for Big Sam.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 pm

MON has been able to take pretty much any club that's hired him, and done as well as they possibly could, with little or no money.  I think he's one of the best managers in the game, and I was really hoping the US would try for him instead of just hiring Klinnsmann (not that I had my hopes up).

With that said, I think his talent is using what he has to work with, not making really great transfers or adjusting to change.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am

Homebooby » Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 am wrote:Is he funny? Has he got a good sense of humour?
???

So Ian Holloway it is then? Strange comment Thommo. Lot of respect for you and your views, but you've lost me.

Shankly- funny man, dry, witty, ironic and sarcastic. King of the one liners
Paisley- funny man, witty, ironic. Observational but gentle humour
Fagan- funny man, witty, ironic, quiet but sharp. Could see the funny side of things
Dalglish- funny man, sharp, witty, bright. Could be cruel but with an enourmous sense of fun
Souness- not so funny, quite serious and concerned with image and his own ego. Could see the humour in things but not as witty as his predecesors
Evans-  quite witty and sharp but not funny. Nice guy, genuine but not someone who made you laugh
Houllier- sophistcated, dry, witty, but not funny. Had a good sense of humour but too rigid and serious
Rafa- funny man, dry, witty, sarcastic (remember the comment about Robben when Pepe had shoved him) and ironic. Had a cheeky, sly sense of humour
Hodgson- No. Nice enough man but would hate to be stuck next to him for any length of time. Not funny at all
Back to KK etc

Out of those managers who were the most successful? The funniest, thats who!
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 am

Igor Zidane » Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm wrote:COS HE IS F.UCKIN DOGSH1TE

I honestly could not put it any better than Ser Zidane has done here.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 am

Thommo's perm » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am wrote:
???

Fagan- funny man, witty, ironic, quiet but sharp. Could see the funny side of things
Dalglish- funny man, sharp, witty, bright. Could be cruel but with an enourmous sense of fun
Souness- not so funny, quite serious and concerned with image and his own ego. Could see the humour in things but not as witty as his predecesors
Evans-  quite witty and sharp but not funny. Nice guy, genuine but not someone who made you laugh
Houllier- sophistcated, dry, witty, but not funny. Had a good sense of humour but too rigid and serious
Rafa- funny man, dry, witty, sarcastic (remember the comment about Robben when Pepe had shoved him) and ironic. Had a cheeky, sly sense of humour
Hodgson- No. Nice enough man but would hate to be stuck next to him for any length of time. Not funny at all
Back to KK etc

True, lets go for Lee Evans, we cant fail !!
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 am

Homebooby » Mon May 21, 2012 8:31 am wrote:
Lando_Griffin » Mon May 21, 2012 2:11 am wrote:Because O'Neill is a total sh*thouse and has been since his playing days.

Hey Lando, what's been sh1thouse about him then in your eyes? A lot of people seem to have a negative opinion of him, but there's little substance to the case put forward other than people didn't like him as a player and some opinion that he plays route 1 footie the whole time. I am just a little surprised at this negativity towards him in comparison to up and coming and perhaps less proven managers.

I am not a huge fan of his, but look at the background

Has won the 1st division and the European Cup twice as a player
Capped 64 times for his country
Captained his country
Took Wycombe Wanderers up 3 divisions in 5 years and won the FA trophy twice with them
2 league cups and another final with Leicester plus giving them European football each time. Midtable management 4 seasons in a row with a team that was never the greatest.
With regards loyalty and jumping, he stayed and saw out his contract despite the opportunity to jump to Leeds.
Celtic - 3 league titles, 3 scottish cups and a league cup and took the team into CL football 3 times.
Leaves the club was to look after his wife which is hardly bastardlike material.
Premier League manager of the month 7 times
SPL manager of the month 9 times
SWFA manager of the year 3 times.

Like I said, I am not married to him, but at the same time, I would hardly call that ***** either. Considering most on this board are talking about someone who is tried and tested, I don't follow how he is dismissed out of hand. Considering the state and status of the club currently, I think that he has a lot of merit.

He has a limited ability to get physically able players to utilise their strength and determination to out-muscle the opposition. He blatenty coaches his forwards to hit the deck at every given opportunity as free-kicks are the only situation from which his teams are likely to score.
Yes he's a very good cup-team manager but we've just sacked someone for the same ability. We need to rebuild and whilst O'Neill would make us hard to beat, he wouldn't take us anywhere near the top no matter how long he was given as no ale-house team will win the Premiership in this era.
And I almost forgot: Wasn't he Nottingham Forest's captain when they were our direct rivals, along with the bitters? Unless I imagined it, shall we see if Roy Keane fancies a crack?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 am

Thommo's perm » Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 pm wrote:
???

Back to KK etc

Have to admit you have me chuckling as I read this....never really thought of it in these terms before. So who's your front runner based on these criteria?
Homebooby

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

Kharhaz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 pm wrote:True, lets go for Lee Evans, we cant fail !!

You didn't understand what he said did you? He said FUNNY. Lee Evans is not funny - at all.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 22, 2012 10:50 am

Roger Red Hat » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am wrote:
Kharhaz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 pm wrote:True, lets go for Lee Evans, we cant fail !!

You didn't understand what he said did you? He said FUNNY. Lee Evans is not funny - at all.

not even remotely funny :no
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 am

Homebooby:
"Have to admit you have me chuckling as I read this....never really thought of it in these terms before. So who's your front runner based on these criteria?"

AVB: Dont know if hes funny. He was under immense pressure from the begining to the end, so he was always serious. Did like his meerkat impressions on the line though
Martinez: seems pleasant enough, afable, approachable. But havent seen him come out with any put-downs or one liners
Rafa: already mentioned
Guardiola: funny man. Quick, sharp, sarcastic, ironic. Says he wants a break so not in the running
Cappello: No. Humour by-pass. No appreciation of fun. Boring
Mourinho: funny. Very egotistical but proven winner. Sharp, sarcastic, ironic. Has a tendency to sulk and will stay with madrid
Ancellotti: quite funny. Quiet but always thinking. Sometimes serious but humerous when he wants to be

Cant think of any more potential candidates. Have a go yourself?
Thommo's perm

Postby neil » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 am

Lee evans IS funny
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am

neil » Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am wrote:Lee evans IS funny

Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Just going through the list of last seasons premiership managers and saw a right bunch of miserable basrads :D

It does seem to be going the way of youth, rather than experience and whilst I understand the logic...I question the logic. Assuming that it is an open playing field for all ages, I find it surprising that Dutch managers such as Jol and Hiddink are not in the frame. It could be because I live over here that I relate to them more than other might, but they have wry and dry senses of humour that I appreciate. I realise Hiddink in particular is quite loyal to the contracts he has signed and is only 4 months into an 18 month contract, but given his track record, I am surprised he is not popping up more in discussion.

I genuinely don't think AVB is strong enough to deal with the situation he will face at Liverpool. He didn't handle the media any better than Kenny and i think he needs to toughen up elsewhere.

Am a big Rafa fan as I have said many times I think he actually 'got it' and I credit him for keeping the spirit alive when times were really rough. I have my doubts about going backwards again though.

Of all the others, as much as most people on here will flame me for it, I have always liked Mourinho and I think had he not gone to Chelsea initially we would have had a different view of him. I think he is good and proven and would relish the opportunity of taking on both Man U and City. I would have confidence in him and I think he would win the club over personally.
Homebooby

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 pm

neil » Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am wrote:Lee evans IS funny

as funny as dog sh!t mate. just my opinion though, i don't like him but i'm old enough to remember it all the first time round, Norman Wisdom
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion