San jose - Defender signs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Liverpool have completed the capture of Athletic Bilbao defender Mikel San Jose.

The 18-year-old central defender becomes Liverpool's second signing of what has been a quiet pre-season, after the two clubs struck an accord over a €400,000 (£270,000) fee.

San Jose is highly thought of at the Basque outfit and was expected to progress to the club's second team next season, after a series of mature displays in junior sides.

Bilbao concede they were loath to let a player of promise leave, but have wished him well as he sets about a fresh challenge on Merseyside.

"For us it is bad news, but Mikel has decided on the choice of Liverpool and it was impossible for us to fight against a European giant," read a club statement.

San Jose is now looking forward to the opportunity to link-up with his compatriot Rafa Benitez (pictured) at Liverpool.

"It was a surprise for me but I have decided to accept the chance at Liverpool," said San Jose.

"I am very excited but now I know that I have to work more each day to get in the first team."

** This could be a good signing in a year or twos time he could break into the first team and do a carragher, stay there for ever.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 pm

"do you know the way to san jose....." :p
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Elchris » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:37 pm

Lee J wrote:** This could be a good signing in a year or twos time he could break into the first team and do a carragher, stay there for ever.

Remember antioni barragan
Elchris

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:40 pm

fair point lol
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:50 pm

This is very old news isn't it, 3 months ago or something? Maybe the talks took long time.

San Jose is a promising future prospect, but, to be honest, I think he wasn't the best in the Lezama youth system defenders. No way near Liverpool's first team IMHO, I guess he'll play in the reserves.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:51 pm

it's just been put on the sky www. not heard of him before, rafa rates him though
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:28 pm

As usual, we're building for the future, which is a very good thing. The only thing that slightly irks me is that we see very little evidence of these players breaking into the first team. Out of the two squad that has won 2 FA Youth Cups, how many will get a chance in the first team? Of course the premiership standard is very high, but those high standards must come from somewhere. It's good to get him and its good to have an active youth setup with a high quality, but are we getting players who are good enough?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:33 pm

yeah I see what your saying, wish we could maybe see one or two players emirging from the acdamy on a regular basis

cant beat growing home grown talent that later flourishes into world class players worth millions.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Even if these youth players don't make it into our first team, we still tend to make a tidy profit on their sales, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Elchris wrote:
Lee J wrote:** This could be a good signing in a year or twos time he could break into the first team and do a carragher, stay there for ever.

Remember antioni barragan

Didnt we make a few hundred thousand on him ?

I know thats only small change but it was better than nothing and there was always the small possibility that he could of become a first team player, so well worth a punt with these kind of players imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Do not really see much point in recruting a young Spaniard when we have an excellent youth team already.

I think we signed a whole bunch of talented young foreign players in January and this just seems a bit of a waste of cash right now.

I hate to bang on about the Spanish obsession but honestly there must be another market we can dip into.

Quite frankly I would sooner they invested this kind of money into our own or other youth development projects in the local community than take a gamble on this young kid from Spain.

I realise its a world game now but the chances of this kid becoming a first team regular are less than the lads we have at the club already.

Its more likely he will be homesick and cry to go home before he gets a sniff of first team football.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:21 pm

parchpea wrote:Do not really see much point in recruting a young Spaniard when we have an excellent youth team already.

I think we signed a whole bunch of talented young foreign players in January and this just seems a bit of a waste of cash right now.

I hate to bang on about the Spanish obsession but honestly there must be another market we can dip into.

Quite frankly I would sooner they invested this kind of money into our own or other youth development projects in the local community than take a gamble on this young kid from Spain.

I realise its a world game now but the chances of this kid becoming a first team regular are less than the lads we have at the club already.

Its more likely he will be homesick and cry to go home before he gets a sniff of first team football.

Have to agree, i dont understand the constant diluting of are young talent i cant see how it helps imo and these young lads seem to get a chance ahead of home grown talent. Its a good job we have the transfer window cus one thing about Rafa he feckin love's a signing.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Rush Job wrote:
parchpea wrote:Do not really see much point in recruting a young Spaniard when we have an excellent youth team already.

Have to agree, i dont understand the constant diluting of are young talent i cant see how it helps imo and these young lads seem to get a chance ahead of home grown talent. Its a good job we have the transfer window cus one thing about Rafa he feckin love's a signing.

Its like a shot to nothing really and exactly what we should be doing!
Lets be honest the our Youth Academy is not producing top class talent or anything near it,like the rest of English teams we are finding home grown talent is rare and very hard to find!

So why not buy a young lad from abroad and give him a chance?
Raffa and his team obviously see something in the player that has promise.The money we paid is peanuts in footballing terms and can only be a gamble worth taking.Even if the lad matures and progresses enough to be a squad member it will be money well spent.If he makes his way to regular first team appearances it will be great business and a total snip.

Worst case scenario he will prove not good enough(very likely) and be moved on maybe for a profit!

I dont see the problem with us giving chances atal.....And i dont see the point in saying Not what we need either!

We know nothing about the lad,he deserves a chance and good luck to him for his red career whether it may be short or long!
The Grudge

Postby Sabre » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:48 pm

[quote="The Grudge"][/quote]
I agree the previous two posters and I disagree the grudge this time.

No matter how much foreign talent you bring, in a youth team you'll be lucky if you promote tp the first team of a top club 2 or 3 players of a given generation.

IMHO a Liverpool kid should never give up the hope of playing for Liverpool F.C. that's a firm belief I have about football. I'm not against to buy 3 or 4 top quality youngsters of abroad, but the core of the team must be of the Liverpool's surroundings.

IMHO to spot a future Carraguer or a future Terry is very difficult at some stages and by filling the squad of San Jose's we are avoiding this.

I know an archenemy of Athletic Bilbao who watches every single game of their team from first team, to the youngest lads, he's a maniac of football and watches football no matter if it rains or makes 30 degree celsius. He's surprised Liverpool are signing up San Jose because he reckons that former CB of that team like Andrinua, Karanka or Alkorta were better.

If we have to gamble with a foreign lad, it has to be a very promising one. If we fill the club with many promising yet not too impressive lads, we're paying a high price, the price of a kid of Liverpool thinking there's not room for him in the local club.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Sabre wrote:
The Grudge wrote:

I agree the previous two posters and I disagree the grudge this time.

No matter how much foreign talent you bring, in a youth team you'll be lucky if you promote tp the first team of a top club 2 or 3 players of a given generation.

IMHO a Liverpool kid should never give up the hope of playing for Liverpool F.C. that's a firm belief I have about football. I'm not against to buy 3 or 4 top quality youngsters of abroad, but the core of the team must be of the Liverpool's surroundings.

IMHO to spot a future Carraguer or a future Terry is very difficult at some stages and by filling the squad of San Jose's we are avoiding this.

I know an archenemy of Athletic Bilbao who watches every single game of their team from first team, to the youngest lads, he's a maniac of football and watches football no matter if it rains or makes 30 degree celsius. He's surprised Liverpool are signing up San Jose because he reckons that former CB of that team like Andrinua, Karanka or Alkorta were better.

If we have to gamble with a foreign lad, it has to be a very promising one. If we fill the club with many promising yet not too impressive lads, we're paying a high price, the price of a kid of Liverpool thinking there's not room for him in the local club.

Its all well and good saying that Sabre but the very reason Raffa is looking abroad is because the academy is producing players that are good but not good enough!

We have no option if we want to plan for the future but to try and spot talent whether it be from Liverpool or Spain its irrelevant.Every supporter loves a local lad like Carra or Gerrad making it through the ranks,its great to see.
But if the talent is not there we have no option but to look elsewhere.

I can appreciate your point of local lads wanting to play for their heroes.But sadly the way things are at this time if we fill LFC with local talent we would be playing in the local league!
The Grudge

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion