Samuel eto'o - I don't normally do this but...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I heard it mentioned the other week that he was klose (get it??? :D *) to signing for Bayern. I haven't heard any confirmation of this though so I could be wrong.

* I'll get me coat. :down:
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat May 12, 2007 10:27 pm

I think Dinho will leave Barca for AC Milan and Eto will stay
puroresu

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:38 pm

puroresu wrote:I think Dinho will leave Barca for AC Milan and Eto will stay

I'll be over the moon if we dd sign eto'o but deep down I think it's simply just a dream. I think that Barcelona would be much more affected by the loss of eto'o than Ronaldinho.

Although he's their top scorer this season I think the big toothed one has caused quite a bit of disruption at the camp nou this season. He's been the centre of a lot of behind the scenes arguments and when you here of him barely doing more than the minimal training you can see why some of the other players are allegedly falling out with him.

At full fitness eto'o is one of the most potent strikers in the world, hence the dream of signing him. Barca have missed him this season and ronaldinho has been way off form and at times has looked to be a hindrance on the teams play. They can be making one of their trademark sweeping counter attacks only for the ball to come to Ronaldinho who then takes the pace out of the attack so he can try to pull off some trick. He is undoubtedly one of the best players ever seen in football but seems to be going a bit stale at barca. I'd have to agree with you puroresu that Ronnie will be the one sold; to AC Milan for 100m euro's if rumours are to be believed.

However you just never know and for now I'll keep dreaming of seeing Sammy Eto'o in the red no.9 next season.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Sat May 12, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Looks like Milan could be in for him aswell

Who ever wins gets him :D

Ancelotti will be spreading his net far and wide over the summer, with the Rossoneri coach also admitting he is a fan of Barcelona superstars Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o, as well as Marseille's French international Franck Ribery.

"Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Shevchenko are three world-class players who would improve any squad," added Ancelotti.

We will see.......
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:57 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:

I'll be over the moon if we dd sign eto'o but deep down I think it's simply just a dream. I think that Barcelona would be much more affected by the loss of eto'o than Ronaldinho.

Although he's their top scorer this season I think the big toothed one has caused quite a bit of disruption at the camp nou this season. He's been the centre of a lot of behind the scenes arguments and when you here of him barely doing more than the minimal training you can see why some of the other players are allegedly falling out with him.

At full fitness eto'o is one of the most potent strikers in the world, hence the dream of signing him. Barca have missed him this season and ronaldinho has been way off form and at times has looked to be a hindrance on the teams play. They can be making one of their trademark sweeping counter attacks only for the ball to come to Ronaldinho who then takes the pace out of the attack so he can try to pull off some trick. He is undoubtedly one of the best players ever seen in football but seems to be going a bit stale at barca. I'd have to agree with you puroresu that Ronnie will be the one sold; to AC Milan for 100m euro's if rumours are to be believed.

However you just never know and for now I'll keep dreaming of seeing Sammy Eto'o in the red no.9 next season.

If Ronaldinho is sold for anything like 100m euros my auntie's my uncle.

The fact that Ronaldinho has had a slight dip in form of late doesn't mean he should be sold, just because he has gone a little 'stale' doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon. If rumours are to be believed it is Eto'o who is at war with everyone at the club, not Ronaldinho, that is only IF these rumours are true.

It was Ronaldinho who effectively revived Barcelona to their title winning years. They were nowhere near success during the gaspart era and Van gaal's second spell was a disaster. Ronaldinho arrived in 2003, before Deco, Eto'o et al joined. He was the catalyst for their success along with a few other savvy signings like davids on loan. Just because they are not performing well right now doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon, this guy has done so much for Barcelona it is unbelievable.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:02 pm

Dundalk wrote:Looks like Milan could be in for him aswell

Who ever wins gets him :D

Ancelotti will be spreading his net far and wide over the summer, with the Rossoneri coach also admitting he is a fan of Barcelona superstars Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o, as well as Marseille's French international Franck Ribery.

"Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Shevchenko are three world-class players who would improve any squad," added Ancelotti.

We will see.......

Ancelotti has made a statement of fact, he's not said....

'I want to sign Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Schevchenko'

Aidy Boothroyd could also say:

'Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Schevchenko are three world class players who would improve any sqaud'

It doesn't mean he is going to sign them!  :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby puroresu » Sat May 12, 2007 11:06 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:

The fact that Ronaldinho has had a slight dip in form of late doesn't mean he should be sold, just because he has gone a little 'stale' doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon. If rumours are to be believed it is Eto'o who is at war with everyone at the club, not Ronaldinho, that is only IF these rumours are true.

It was Ronaldinho who effectively revived Barcelona to their title winning years. They were nowhere near success during the gaspart era and Van gaal's second spell was a disaster. Ronaldinho arrived in 2003, before Deco, Eto'o et al joined. He was the catalyst for their success along with a few other savvy signings like davids on loan. Just because they are not performing well right now doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon, this guy has done so much for Barcelona it is unbelievable.

I dont think Dinho is finished or could be getting sold cos his form this season hasnt been as good as previous years.  I think Dinho himself may feel he needs a change of surroundings and with the big fee Barca can get it might just be right for both parties. I think he will go for at least £40 mil.  Even if Barca win La Liga I think Rijkaard knows that the side needs refreshing and this group of players have probably gone as far as they can.
puroresu

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Are you saying Aidy Boothroyd would not be able to sign them players??

At the end of the day if AC Milan's manager comes out with something like that, well that means they will be in for them.

Imagen if Rafa had said that, these pages would be full of speculation right now.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Dundalk wrote:Are you saying Aidy Boothroyd would not be able to sign them players??

At the end of the day if AC Milan's manager comes out with something like that, well that means they will be in for them.

Imagen if Rafa had said that, these pages would be full of speculation right now.

That's nonsense, it's typical speculation.

A journalist goes up to him Ancelotti and says 'what do you think of these three players'

He replies...

'I think they would improve any squad'

All of a sudden it is interpreted as he is in for these players, it's absolute nonsense.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:24 pm

puroresu wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:

I dont think Dinho is finished or could be getting sold cos his form this season hasnt been as good as previous years.  I think Dinho himself may feel he needs a change of surroundings and with the big fee Barca can get it might just be right for both parties. I think he will go for at least £40 mil.  Even if Barca win La Liga I think Rijkaard knows that the side needs refreshing and this group of players have probably gone as far as they can.

So Puroresu you think Barca want to sell the two time World player of the Year?

How do you know he might want a change of surroundings? Have you spoken to him, are you best mates?

Answer: No

It is all nespaper-speculation driven.
LFC2007

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 12, 2007 11:33 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Are you saying Aidy Boothroyd would not be able to sign them players??

A journalist goes up to him Ancelotti and says 'what do you think of these three players'

He replies...

All of a sudden it is interpreted as he is in for these players, it's absolute nonsense.

Fair enough but Rafa would never come out with anything like that, he knows he is at a big club and it will draw attention.

Ancelotti knows this as well, he has been in this game far to long and fair ply to him he has played the game well.

In my eyes its a shrewd move by him.

When do you usually here a manager come out and say this about 4 or 5 of the worlds best players  ???

A legal free way of letting the player know a big club is interested in him
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:38 am

Dundalk wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

He replies...

Fair enough but Rafa would never come out with anything like that, he knows he is at a big club and it will draw attention.

Ancelotti knows this as well, he has been in this game far to long and fair ply to him he has played the game well.

In my eyes its a shrewd move by him.

When do you usually here a manager come out and say this about 4 or 5 of the worlds best players  ???

A legal free way of letting the player know a big club is interested in him

I've heard plenty of managers say they think such and such a player would improve my squad. It's fairly common, especially on the continent.

It's a simple question from a journalist and a simple reply from a manager.

If a journalist asked Rafa 'Would you be interested in signing Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Schevchenko'.

He would probably say 'I think they are fantastic players with lots of quality'

All Ancelotti has done is to add on the end 'they would improve ANY squad'.

Those five words suddenly prompt the media and speculators like yourself to read more into it.

Ancelotti may be interested in signing one of these players, but interest form managers is nothing new. I'm sure Rafa would also be interested in signing one of these players at the right price, as would many other top managers.

It is speculation gone mad.
LFC2007

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 am

LFC2007 wrote:
puroresu wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:

So Puroresu you think Barca want to sell the two time World player of the Year?

How do you know he might want a change of surroundings? Have you spoken to him, are you best mates?

Answer: No

It is all nespaper-speculation driven.

Agreed LFC2007 that Ronaldinho was a major catalyst in the revival of Barca's fortunes over the last couple of years but it's a little unfair on the likes of Eto'o, Deco, Puyol and co to hand all of the plaudits to Ronaldinho(I know you aren't saying he did all himself BTW). After all they didn't regain the title 'til the season when eto'o, deco & giuly all arrived(2004/05).

The 100m euro's is not my personal belief of what kind of transfer fee Ronaldinho will command. It comes from a supposed comment by Joan Laporte if I remember correctly, that some sort of deal was on the table and was yet to be decided upon.

I agree with PURORESU's point that with a sizeable offer for Ronaldinho, Barcelona may just feel the time is right to cash in on him. There's been talk of the current squad coming to the end of it's 'CYCLE' and that things need refreshing. One way Barca may fund this is the sale of Ronaldinho. There is no doubt that Ronaldinho will eventually re-discover his golden touch so whether or not he decides to do that at Barca or somewhere else remains to be seen.
I still believe though that his departure from Barca would be less damaging than Eto'o leaving as they have one or two other half decent creative players in their squad.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun May 13, 2007 12:54 am

Okay here is the full article

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Milan will do everything in their power to bring Andrei Shevchenko back to Italy, even if the coach admits a transfer looks unlikely at present.

The Ukrainian striker remains a revered figure at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza and, following a difficult campaign at Chelsea, has been linked with a return to the club where he won the UEFA Champions League and the European Footballer of the Year award.

Chelsea, in contrast, have not seen the best of the striker as he has scored just four league goals in a season where he has been roundly criticised for his contribution to the club's cause.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani recently gave credence to speculation by revealing the Rossoneri were keeping a place in their squad open should Shevchenko seek a return over the summer.

Whilst Ancelotti admits he is desperate to see Shevchenko don the Milan shirt once more, the coach was warned that financial considerations could make any move unlikely.

"Adriano Galliani made our position very clear," Ancelotti told a press conference.

"It remains a difficult operation financially, even if Milan will do everything possible to bring him back.

"He is owned by Chelsea and their intentions are the main factor here."

"
Franck Ribery is also a player I like very much. He is a dynamic figure and had a great World Cup
."

Meanwhile, Milan have moved to play down speculation that Kakha Kaladze could be sold in order to prise Chelsea-owned Brazilian defender Alex from PSV Eindhoven.

"Kaladze, as our other big players, is not for sale," Galliani told the Italian press.
"All of our big players are confirmed and their sale will never be negotiated."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:01 am

I agree with you about some of these points Rushie. But they were abysmal between the years 2000-2003, they only turned it round when Laporta arrived and brought in new management, a star player (as all the presidents promise during election) being Ronaldinho and a few more who supplemented the revival e.g. Davids. They were never going to win La Liga in that year anyway, Rafa was still at Valencia!

Ronaldinho was the major stepping stone to their revival. In the years preceding the revival they finished 4th, 4th, 6th, then the arrival of the new manager and Ronaldinho saw them climb to 2nd, just five points off Rafa's Valencia.

After the 03/04 season, they then added the other players you mentioned and secured the league title.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion