Samuel eto'o - I don't normally do this but...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 am

Dundalk wrote:Okay here is the full article

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Milan will do everything in their power to bring Andrei Shevchenko back to Italy, even if the coach admits a transfer looks unlikely at present.

The Ukrainian striker remains a revered figure at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza and, following a difficult campaign at Chelsea, has been linked with a return to the club where he won the UEFA Champions League and the European Footballer of the Year award.

Chelsea, in contrast, have not seen the best of the striker as he has scored just four league goals in a season where he has been roundly criticised for his contribution to the club's cause.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani recently gave credence to speculation by revealing the Rossoneri were keeping a place in their squad open should Shevchenko seek a return over the summer.

Whilst Ancelotti admits he is desperate to see Shevchenko don the Milan shirt once more, the coach was warned that financial considerations could make any move unlikely.

"Adriano Galliani made our position very clear," Ancelotti told a press conference.

"It remains a difficult operation financially, even if Milan will do everything possible to bring him back.

"He is owned by Chelsea and their intentions are the main factor here."

Ancelotti will be spreading his net far and wide over the summer, with the Rossoneri coach also admitting he is a fan of Barcelona superstars Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o, as well as Marseille's French international Franck Ribery.

"Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Shevchenko are three world-class players who would improve any squad," added Ancelotti.

"
Franck Ribery is also a player I like very much. He is a dynamic figure and had a great World Cup
."

Meanwhile, Milan have moved to play down speculation that Kakha Kaladze could be sold in order to prise Chelsea-owned Brazilian defender Alex from PSV Eindhoven.

"Kaladze, as our other big players, is not for sale," Galliani told the Italian press.
"All of our big players are confirmed and their sale will never be negotiated."

I've read the article before on Sky.

The only player who he said he would like to bring back is Schevchenko, that's no surprise.

The others are ones he has said he thinks would improve 'ANY' squad, and Ribery is one has has said he admires, that's nothing new in football.

You're telling me with Gillardino, Ronaldo, Inzaghi, Oliveira and Borriello they are going to bring in Schevchenko AND one of the others?

I doubt it, I could see Schevchenko going back there but I don't see Eto'o or Ronaldinho going there this summer.

Financially it's not feasible, and in terms of their squad, Schevchenko is the one that would fit in.
LFC2007

Postby lio » Sun May 13, 2007 3:24 am

LFC2007 wrote:... The fact that Ronaldinho has had a slight dip in form of late doesn't mean he should be sold, just because he has gone a little 'stale' doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon. If rumours are to be believed it is Eto'o who is at war with everyone at the club, not Ronaldinho, that is only IF these rumours are true....

... dont be too sure mate, football is about expecting the unexpected  :D

Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard wants changes to his squad this summer, sparking fresh speculation that Ronaldinho will be put up for sale. The former European and World Player of the Year was the subject of a bitter fan protest this week after Barca's shock exit from the Copa del Rey, losing 4-0 to Getafe.

The supporters urged him to "go to Milan" and it seems that Coach Rijkaard - a Rossoneri legend himself - agrees.

"How many years can a team sustain itself at the top level? Three or four, then it is necessary to change, both within the squad and in its management," he told Catalunya Radio.

YNWA  :buttrock
lio

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 13, 2007 3:34 am

Eto'o and Villa and so forth will all be too expensive.

We have to more realistic about transfer targets.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I agree with you about some of these points Rushie. But they were abysmal between the years 2000-2003, they only turned it round when Laporta arrived and brought in new management, a star player (as all the presidents promise during election) being Ronaldinho and a few more who supplemented the revival e.g. Davids. They were never going to win La Liga in that year anyway, Rafa was still at Valencia!

Ronaldinho was the major stepping stone to their revival. In the years preceding the revival they finished 4th, 4th, 6th, then the arrival of the new manager and Ronaldinho saw them climb to 2nd, just five points off Rafa's Valencia.

After the 03/04 season, they then added the other players you mentioned and secured the league title.

I totally agree that they were abysmal before Laporte arrived. They were very much on the cusp of being a club in crisis for the best part of 5 years between the end of Van Gaal first reign and the arrival of Rijkaard & Laporte. At various times during that period they came close to slipping into relegation battles only to pull back from that, normally with a change of manager.

Indeed while I do agree that Ronaldinho was a major catalyst in the revival of Barca it can sometimes be forgotten that during that first season under Rijkaard they slipped to the lower reaches of La Liga and got thumped 5-0 by Malaga IIRC. This was only turned around with the arrival of Davids and a change in tactics (I think). It was after this that they went on an unprecedented run and were unlucky that Rafa was still at Valencia as you said  :D . You seem quite well up on your Barca knowledge so I'm guessing the above wasn't news to you.  :D

As for Samuel Eto'o going to Milan, I just can't see that happening in a million years. He's had alot to say about the racist chanting that he suffers in Spain and with there supposedly being just as bad a problem in Italy it wouldn't make much sense him going there.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sun May 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Eto just nearly scored an amazing goal.
puroresu

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:38 pm

Eto'o has looked superb tonight in the first 39 mins. HE has created a couple of good chances and nearly scored a sublime overhead kick, only to be denied by the keeper.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:39 pm

puroresu wrote:Eto just nearly scored an amazing goal.

Bugger, you beat me to it.  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KAKA22 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 pm

he'll be a Milan Player...:D :p
RAVA7      GO MILAN!!!
KAKA22

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 pm

KAKA22 wrote:he'll be a Milan Player...:D :p

:talktothehand
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:12 pm

lio wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:... The fact that Ronaldinho has had a slight dip in form of late doesn't mean he should be sold, just because he has gone a little 'stale' doesn't mean people should jump on the transfer bandwagon. If rumours are to be believed it is Eto'o who is at war with everyone at the club, not Ronaldinho, that is only IF these rumours are true....

... dont be too sure mate, football is about expecting the unexpected  :D

Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard wants changes to his squad this summer, sparking fresh speculation that Ronaldinho will be put up for sale. The former European and World Player of the Year was the subject of a bitter fan protest this week after Barca's shock exit from the Copa del Rey, losing 4-0 to Getafe.

The supporters urged him to "go to Milan" and it seems that Coach Rijkaard - a Rossoneri legend himself - agrees.

"How many years can a team sustain itself at the top level? Three or four, then it is necessary to change, both within the squad and in its management," he told Catalunya Radio.

YNWA  :buttrock

Of course things need freshening up, but selling your best players who have shown they can do the business? I don't think so.

We know Barcelona has a lot of political jousting off the pitch, there are sects of fans who probably dislike Ronaldinho for this reason, remember the fans who hate Laporta. Even after winning them a title they still hated him - it's politics. That is the nature of Barcelona. Ask Sabre, I'm sure he's better informed.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Rijkaard was not agreeing that Ronaldinho should leave he was merely pointing out that teams need freshening up from time to time....

it's the inherent speculator who interprets this as Rijkaard wanting Ronaldinho to leave.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Sun May 13, 2007 8:06 pm

There are certain amount of politics involving Barcelona as Laporta wiped out the radical fans of their crowd, the Boixos Nois --well done. Their not the worst radicals in Spain whatsoever, but Laporta put an example about how to deal the problem to other clubs, and it's his credit. I know Barcelona fans will say that they miss the warmth of that group in the pitch, but I still think it was a good idea. The radicals are still scattered around the stadium but as a group they were stronger.

But most of president surrounding Barcelona opposition is simply due to different groups of power beneath the club that covet the presidency, and think first on reaching there rather than the greater good of the club. LFC2007 reffers me, and I reffer to Barsa Murph to confirm this. Football clubs in Spain are like a heaven of the money washing, you only have to look at presidents of Villareal, Barcelona, Sevilla, Betis and Madrid and the kind of business they have apart from football. That's why it's so interesting.

Ronaldinho catalist?? Hmmmmmmmm, he played his part, but the unsung heroes are more important in the success yesteryear of Barcelona (Deco,Marquez and the likes).

Ronaldinho is the kind of player that can give you lots of money, and to be honest, his cost is much higher than his value. It's an espectacular player, but that can WALK literally in the pitch and dissapear. I was laughed here when I say yesteryear I'd pick Gerrard rather than Ronaldinho if I was making a super team. Of course I still think so.

Very good? definitely. Espectacular? Of course. Indispensable? I don't think so, and Barcelona could do a lot of good things with that money.

Rijkaards' words might not be talking about Ronaldingo especifically, but he's talking about one of the big names for sure. Aaaah, summer and it's intrigues

:)
Last edited by Sabre on Sun May 13, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Sabre wrote:Ronaldinho catalist?? Hmmmmmmmm, he played his part, but the unsung heroes are more important in the success yesteryear of Barcelona (Deco,Marquez and the likes).

Ronaldinho is the kind of player that can give you lots of money, and to be honest, his cost is much higher than his value. It's an espectacular player, but that can WALK literally in the pitch and dissapear. I was laughed here when I say yesteryear I'd pick Gerrard rather than Ronaldinho if I was making a super team. Of course I still think so.

Very good? definitely. Espectacular? Of course. Indispensable? I don't think so, and Barcelona could do a lot of good things with that money.

Rijkaards' words might not be talking about Ronaldingo especifically, but he's talking about one of the big names for sure. Aaaah, summer and it's intrigues

Deco and Marquez weren't at Barca until a season later, what I mean is that Ronaldinho in the 03/04 season took them to the next level, the previous three years they were 4th, 4th, 6th.

It was only when Barca consolidated on the signing of Ronaldinho with the likes of Deco, Marques, Larsson, Eto'o and guily were they able to make the step up to reclaiming the title.

So to sum up, Ronaldinho was a major factor in the turnaround of Barcelona, this season has been poor compared to his last three but his strike rate for what many consider him to be (an attacking midfielder) is excellent, something like a goal every other game. That's impressive. He doesn't win world player of the year twice in a row for nothing, this guy is effective if a little exorbitant at times.

It is unreasonable to compare Gerrard to Ronaldinho, no-one knows how Gerrard would fair in a Barcelona side nor do people know how Ronaldinho would fair in a Liverpool side. They play two very different styles of football in two very different leagues, and in different countries.

I am not classing him as indispensible, I am just saying he is a superb player, if a little poor of late, players have dips in form from time to time.

To think what Barca could do with the money is jumping the gun a little, it's assuming he is sold, and it's assuming there is an effective replacement in the market.

I personally can't see where you would find someone to replace that type of quality, he will rediscover his form,  it is just down to a bit of hardwork from himself and the managerial capabilities of Rijkaard.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Sun May 13, 2007 9:37 pm

I agree his a superb player, despite I can see things I don't like. About the turnaround, he played his part aswell yes, but as Rushie#9 pointed out correctly, Davids brought aswell a consistency they needed in the holding midfielder position (to my surprise, because I never rated Davids) and the turnaround came only when Davids came.

But football is a team sport and players cannot be analysed separately, perhaps Davids TRIGGERED the massive Ronaldinho we saw back then. Anyhow, both deserve to be mentioned, and yes, of course Ronaldinho played a very important part. The most important part aswell? maybe. Not sure.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun May 13, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hunterz » Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Hopefully rafa really bring in a world class striker,someone that can make wonders for us in front of the goal post.Or else all the hype about the transfer speculation all these while would seem rather silly.. :Oo:
hunterz

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion