Sami hyypia... - ...still got it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Has been a great player for us.

And altough he's had a couple of decent games for us, he cant maintain those performances at a sustained high level IMO anymore.
66-1112520797

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Has been a great player for us.

And altough he's had a couple of decent games for us, he cant maintain those performances at a sustained high level IMO anymore.

Exactly. The games we've been properly tested in we've conceded and/or lost. The most impressive result defensively was the 0-0 at Blackburn, I think some people are getting a tad carried away by 'to nil' wins over Besiktas, Fulham and Newcastle. Before that it was SIX games without a clean sheet and wasn't Sami on a hat-trick of own goals at one stage?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 pm

Everyone knows he has been a great player but I really think he is a liability now.

Unfortunately there can be no room for sentiment and the 2007 Sami is not good enough.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Owzat wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Has been a great player for us.

Exactly. The games we've been properly tested in we've conceded and/or lost. The most impressive result defensively was the 0-0 at Blackburn, I think some people are getting a tad carried away by 'to nil' wins over Besiktas, Fulham and Newcastle. Before that it was SIX games without a clean sheet and wasn't Sami on a hat-trick of own goals at one stage?

:D hat trick , they were less capable teams but Newcastle have a great strike force and should be exploiting the weak link in our def it is sami yea , due to his lack of pace but , i think that our defenders have started to gel especially carra and hypia . keeping clean sheets in the last three games , but there is still room for improvement , although i cannot see sami holding down the fist 11 spot with agger close to fitness , i feel that sami shud be given a run it against team like bolton , birmingham , sunderland , derby .. end of the season , i see sami leaving , sad to see him go but its for the best . he will always be a legend at this club
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Anyone still convinced Sami isn't past it? Come the latter stages, if we get there, those kind of lapses could cost us dear
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm

I think there is still room for Sammi, he's still great in the air and has great positional sense, he' ll never lose that, though he clearly seems to struggle with playing 2 games a week now. Earlier in the season when everyone was on his back i though it was harsh, everyone was blaming hyypia when Carragher was just as bad IMO.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:55 pm

While I wouldn't use "fantastic" to describe Hyypia's job during this Agger injury, I do use the word "good". He has shown we can rely on him. He scored two own goals, but those ones are more a matter of luck than anything. Speed? it wasn't never his forte, but I think he has shown he's more than ready to be used when required.

People insist much in his pace, but it's only fair to notice how much balls he touches with his head when he goes up to corners and situations like that. Much more than Carra for instance, and it's always a threat. I'm surprised he didn't score yesterday because Porto's defence of corners was an authentic joke. I was happy because we are scoring from corners which is something we were not doing. Those situations are very important, a decent job like Porto's can be ruined if you don't do the homework on this situations.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:07 pm

You have to have a little sympathy for Hyypia, he was probably expecting a nice gentle season with the odd game here and there against mainly lesser opposition or sides with no pace who play high balls into the box. Instead of which he has been asked to play 2 games a week against fast strikers and to be fair I think he has done a good job. I am not saying we havent missed Agger but not half as much as I expected.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Owzat wrote:Anyone still convinced Sami isn't past it? Come the latter stages, if we get there, those kind of lapses could cost us dear

I'm far from convinced he's past it and I wonder why you think it's so obvious?  You're the man with the stats so why not give us a sense of how many goals we've conceded since he's stepped in for Agger (first Porto match, if memory recalls)?

As Sabre' said, he's not let us down at the back and he's provided a bona fide goal threat on set pieces.  In fact, I was just thinking today how bloody lucky we are that he wanted to stay this summer and fight for his place.  I'd hate to think how we would have coped with Agger's absence without him.

I'm starting to think you have an irrational contempt for lanky, blonde players! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 pm

hes not lost it, great ambassador for us, one of our best buys ever... but hes not exactly one for the future... think this is is his last season...next he will be a bit player if he stays with us... which is a shame.

would like to see players like him stay on as coaches as he has got a LOT to offer
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeff capes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:01 pm

sami is god who came down and answer all our prayers when we had such loser clowns in defence.

i'll never forget the season we won the treble, the way he dealt with rivaldo with such ease .

we have to win the league before he is past it.

it would be a shame for a true liverpool legend not to win the league.

even if he becomes  past it i want him at liverpool to win that league title
jeff capes

Postby banana » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Hyypia is way past it. His dreadful mistakes against Porto could have lost us two goals. Besides poor passing he is a big liability with his lack of pace. There is a desperate need for a new defender in january to replace Hyypia. As long as Hyypia is in the team I always fear losing goals and games because of him.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:48 am

banana wrote:Hyypia is way past it. His dreadful mistakes against Porto could have lost us two goals. Besides poor passing he is a big liability with his lack of pace. There is a desperate need for a new defender in january to replace Hyypia. As long as Hyypia is in the team I always fear losing goals and games because of him.

Change the record mate, isn't that your first post in ages? Take a look at our defensive record the past 6/7 games and tell me it isn't excellent. Don't try and make out Sami is some sort of passenger, you can't get away with carrying players in your back 4. You never have shown him ANY respect.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 pm

banana wrote:Hyypia is way past it. His dreadful mistakes against Porto could have lost us two goals. Besides poor passing he is a big liability with his lack of pace. There is a desperate need for a new defender in january to replace Hyypia. As long as Hyypia is in the team I always fear losing goals and games because of him.

this from the guy who thought baros was a better player than owen. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Change the record mate, isn't that your first post in ages? Take a look at our defensive record the past 6/7 games and tell me it isn't excellent. Don't try and make out Sami is some sort of passenger, you can't get away with carrying players in your back 4. You never have shown him ANY respect.

No no, it's his SECOND post in a while... he also slated Kuyt in the Kuyt-thread after his performance against Newcastle. This I found a bit odd as well, seing as Kuyt had one of his best games in quite a while. Seems like Banana is only out to comment, when it's about slating one of our own players... what's up with that fella?
JamCar05

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion