Sad beyond belief - Even the wife feels sorry for me

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:53 pm

I've been married a long time and brought my kids up to be proud reds.
I have never missed a home game (unless I have been dying) for over forty years (44 to be exact),
I've also seen countless away games including all our finals and enjoyed a great deal of happiness supporting the lads throughout Europe.
On my first date with my missus I took her to see Arsenal play at Anfield in 1966 when I hid from my mates in the KOP and took her to the more protective area of the paddock (now long gone).
I only went in the paddock once and told my missus if she wanted to go back again she would have to stand in the KOP with me - she did and romance blossomed.
In later years as my boys grew up we adopted more comfortable seats in the stands, from where I've watched the games ever since.
The reason I'm telling you all this is that even through some difficult periods (and always through the great ones) I've always come home after the match and talked and talked to my wife about the game. Bit of a ritual she puts up with really - but I appreciate it.
But after the game on Monday against Charlton I was distinctly quiet when I returned home.
I couldn't think of anything positive to say - couldn't name one player who had a good game.
I felt sorry for Stevie G who has carried the team all season and now looks knackered - even he has fallen under the mediocre influence at the club.
For Gods sake - even Middlesborough are playing more attractive football than we are!
It's been a long time coming but they are finally getting to me as well - even I feel down, miserable and mediocre.
I have never seen this great club looking so lost and lacking in imagination, flair and ability.
Even the wife is starting to feel sorry for me.
That's how bad it is!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:10 pm

oldredeyes wrote:On my first date with my missus I took her to see Arsenal play at Anfield in 1966 when I hid from my mates in the KOP and took her to the more protective area of the paddock (now long gone).

1966, crossing the mersey on the royal daffodil up to New Brighton with your bird.Beatles bangin out on your Dansette and the Reds building towards greatness.
Nowadays the ferries are long gone as have the Dansettes, the Reds are still there , where they are going no f*cker knows including Foolier.
Never mind old red, the wheel will turn.
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:15 pm

Lets hope it is soon - I'm not getting any younger woof!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:34 pm

Snap, oldredeyes. My girlfriend is feeling sorry for me too, she is trying her best to cheer me up. When I left the Kop after the match against Charlton...me and my old man were very silenced to walk to the car park then drop him off to his house then drive to my home too, i was ever so quiet.
Can't believe it, I never felt like that before in my life.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:12 am

I've been going to Anfield whenever possible since the mid/late 80s and for me it used to be a shock if ever we got beat at home. You could see it on everybody's faces filing out of the stands - bewilderement as to how could we, LFC, lose at Anfield?

Now it seems very ordinary to lose at home and the faces at Anfield seem to have lost the bewildered look and have taken on a dejected look of "oh well, there goes another 3 points". Sad times indeed and time for sweeping changes before we've got so poor we can't recover. :(

PS. Red Eyes, your missus sounds like a gem!
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:38 am

Thanks Woolly,
She's one in a million!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:52 am

My girlfriend, I have my suspicions, used to be a closet Manc supporter, but after 5 years of going out with me, I have persuaded her to leave the dark side!

She's not exactly a Pool fan (although no longer supports the the Mancs) but she's sympathetic to my plight.

After Monday I felt I had been hit my a bus. The worst feeling I have experienced since Houllier came here.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:30 pm

It should have hardly come as a shock to anybody losing at home to charlton.Bolton and southampton have won at Anfield already this season and deservedly so.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:14 am

Don't want to sound morbid or anything, but I've been having a look through the archives of this place and I used to love reading oldredeyes' posts.  He had been supporting the club since before Shankly was in charge and had some really interesting stuff to say.  He hasn't posted on here since 2004 though and I'd love it if he came back on here because he was a quality poster.

He said that he'd been to countless cup finals including the five European Cup finals we had played in at the time he was posting on here.  Like I say, morbid but I know the guy was old, and he could have just got fed up with this place as many other members have done in the past but I hope that he got to see last years miracle in Istanbul, either in the Ataturk or wherever he resides these days........
jonnymac1979

Postby simolonge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:37 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:He said that he'd been to countless cup finals including the five European Cup finals we had played in at the time he was posting on here.  Like I say, morbid but I know the guy was old, and he could have just got fed up with this place as many other members have done in the past but I hope that he got to see last years miracle in Istanbul, either in the Ataturk or wherever he resides these days........

Beautiful setiments johnmac.
simolonge

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:38 am

Well in Jmac.

Nice to know that this place has some compassion and sentiment.

I echo your post, but I'll be honest - if he stopped posting in 2004, I never chatted to the guy.

But I went to the match he made the thread about, and I can see why he felt that way.

Thank God for Rafa Benitez. :)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:13 pm

I remember Old Red Eyes he was quality true and honest as the day was long, Jonny it's not morbid mate, I remember when i first joined Super sub was a poster, JBG was a poster as he is again now Gaz was still knocking about, things a definately changed and the forum in times has gone astray some what, and even more so alot of people are afraid to post good honest post's for the fear of thier hard thought out work turning into a battle ground.

Bottom line is Old Red is still here in spirit like all those who have come before,but things are forever changinging we just have to move with it :)
Last edited by mistyred on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:55 pm

I didn't have the pleasure to know that poster.

I think messages are kept in a server for a good reason, to be remembered or to have a perspective. I also think that the main fun in a forum is reading posts. In this times in which there are lots of users trying to post a new thread no matter what, reading and remembering and acknowledging a post from the past says much and good things about the poster that has recovered it.

Hope that man is well.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:18 pm

old redeyes you are more than welcome here my friend.Its nice to know i'm not the oldest on here,i first stepped foot into Anfield in 1974  :laugh:

Come back often more people like you the better.......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:23 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Don't want to sound morbid or anything, but I've been having a look through the archives of this place and I used to love reading oldredeyes' posts.  He had been supporting the club since before Shankly was in charge and had some really interesting stuff to say.  He hasn't posted on here since 2004 though and I'd love it if he came back on here because he was a quality poster.

He said that he'd been to countless cup finals including the five European Cup finals we had played in at the time he was posting on here.  Like I say, morbid but I know the guy was old, and he could have just got fed up with this place as many other members have done in the past but I hope that he got to see last years miracle in Istanbul, either in the Ataturk or wherever he resides these days........

did he say why he left??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion