RYAN BABEL to join Hoffenheim

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Rafas-Y-Fronts wrote:I am unsure about Ryan Babel at the moment in all honesty.

He looks very awkward on the ball and although he can produce moments of magic......still tends to remind me somewhat of Djibril Cisse which is not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination!

He has scored a few lovely goals so far this season and maybe he just needs to relax more when on the ball and let his ability come to the fore.

He is more skillful than djibrel cisse.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres 2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Babel is the new john barnes, and will be in 2 years time.

he has pace, is sharp, doesn't play with fear, and is 5 times better than Harry Kewell, who is ,IMO a "one trick pony".

left wing or just off the front two, would suit him best.

a star in the making. x
Torres 2007

Postby Torres 2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:56 pm

tel wrote:Babel was a bought as a striker.

The thinking is he needs time to adapt to the English game.

He does not. Kuyt needs time because he has no talent.

babel has talent.

lol.

kuyt needs a p45, not more time.

10m or so?

totally ineffective.
Torres 2007

Postby Bammo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Torres 2007 wrote:

babel has talent.

lol.

10m or so?

totally ineffective.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again:

who, realistically, do we replace Kuyt with if we sell him?

If there are decent, affordable and realistic options then you'll gain more support.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby big al » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Babel has pace and a powerful shot but he struggles with his first touch in the premiership. Rafa is grooming him and that will take time.  Have to say when he was pushed forward last night he appeared not to have a clue.  As for Kuyt, I have a feeling he'll score a few now Alonso is back and I love his work rate but have to say Rafa needs to get a world class striker who will fit in with Torres.  That means either a Dalglish type player creating and scoring goals or a lightening fast poacher like Rush. Come to think of it, has anyone found that fountain of youth yet.:D
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Torres 2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Bammo wrote:
Torres 2007 wrote:

babel has talent.

lol.

10m or so?

totally ineffective.

If there are decent, affordable and realistic options then you'll gain more support.

Erm...............................

Michael Owen Comes to mind for less than 9million?

SOrry do you have a short memory about just how clinical he was for LFC?

Duh!

Injured maybe right now, but a fit Michael Owen is the obvious answer, and should return in January.

Sacrifice Crouch, Voronin, or Kuyt. take yer pick.

Owen is 50 times the striker of Kuyt, and him + Torres up front, a real force.

Laugh all you like some of you die hards, but then cry when you feel silly when you think to yourself just what a prodigy he was.

in the current LFC side, he would do really well.

END OF.
Last edited by Torres 2007 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torres 2007

Postby Bammo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Torres 2007 wrote:
Bammo wrote:
Torres 2007 wrote:

babel has talent.

lol.

10m or so?

totally ineffective.

Duh!

Injured maybe right now, but a fit Michael Owen is the obvious answer, and should return in January.

Laugh all you like some of you die hards, but then cry when you feel silly when you think to yourself just what a prodigy he was.

END OF.

Firstly, Owen would cost more than £9m. Newcastle announced that clause has now expired.

Secondly, I agree, a fit Michael Owen would be great for Liverpool. The trouble is he isn't fit. In fact his last season free of serious injury was 2004-2005.

We could sign him and he could hit 25 goals a season, alternatively he could get injured and score 10 goals in 3 seasons like he has for Newcastle.

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:30 pm

Torres 2007 wrote:
Bammo wrote:
Torres 2007 wrote:

babel has talent.

lol.

10m or so?

totally ineffective.

Duh!

END OF.

I would never want Owen back at Liverpool, he's a damned disgrace and only plays for the money, they way he shafted Liverpool by leaving was disgusting. In any case I never rated him that highly, especially towards the end of his time at Liverpool when he developed the peculiar habit of standing behind the opposition defenders which is a curious strategy for a short-arsed pr1ck like him.  :D

In answer to whom could replace Kuyt or Crouch or Voronin, what about one of the youngsters, they couldn't possibly be any worse.
heimdall

Postby Bammo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:46 pm

In answer to whom could replace Kuyt or Crouch or Voronin, what about one of the youngsters, they couldn't possibly be any worse.

Is Lindfield ready for the first team? Anyone know if we have any young forwards worth a first team game?

I think most people will agree that we'd rather see a young player than an off-form or poor quality senior player. The trouble is, whoever plays needs to deliver goals immediately. We aren't a patient bunch anymore :D

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:01 pm

The answer to any problems which anybody thinks we might have (and in truth we haven't got any major ones) is not to start sticking youngsters in, that's just more silly talk.

As for the "who could we buy to replace Kuyt" question, I really must say that when he is at his most innefective (like against man Utd for instance) you could make quite a long list. It's probably just me, but I quite like Gabriel Agbonlahor from Villa. He'd cost money but he's a good player I think. Owen is obviously a much better player yet injury prone, while any of Spurs's four strikers would be an improvement. Kenwyn Jones from sunderland would score more goals and offer more threat, while I quiite like Cameron Jerome at Birmingham. Bellamy was and is a better bet than Kuyt, while Benjani at Pompey, Annelka from Bolton, Benni McCarthy from Blackburn and somewhat more bizarrely Marlon King from Watford would be options. You probably kind of get my point that for me anyway, the time is up for Kuyt.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:19 pm

bigmick wrote:The answer to any problems which anybody thinks we might have (and in truth we haven't got any major ones) is not to start sticking youngsters in, that's just more silly talk.

As for the "who could we buy to replace Kuyt" question, I really must say that when he is at his most innefective (like against man Utd for instance) you could make quite a long list. It's probably just me, but I quite like Gabriel Agbonlahor from Villa. He'd cost money but he's a good player I think. Owen is obviously a much better player yet injury prone, while any of Spurs's four strikers would be an improvement. Kenwyn Jones from sunderland would score more goals and offer more threat, while I quiite like Cameron Jerome at Birmingham. Bellamy was and is a better bet than Kuyt, while Benjani at Pompey, Annelka from Bolton, Benni McCarthy from Blackburn and somewhat more bizarrely Marlon King from Watford would be options. You probably kind of get my point that for me anyway, the time is up for Kuyt.

:D

While reading the extensive list of your proposals for an improvement, for a moment I thought that you were going to mention Morientes aswell. But seems Kuyt hasn't dissapointed that much, yet. :D

I don't think Kuyt is a bad player whatsoever, and for what is worth I preffer his goals with the árse and tough work for the team than what Voronin provides.

But I agree this is a top club and in top clubs there isn't much room for patience with players. I think it's a case of a good player that's too intimidated in a big club. Might be the most serious candidate to sell, but I won't join the posters who do not respect Kuyt as a footballer whatsoever, I do respect him.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 pm

I respect him too sabes, he obviously a nice fella and a good pro. There's very likely something in your observation about the intimidation of playing for a big club. It wouldn't be the biggest surprise to me if a club like Villa bought him and he was their top scorer. He's obviously a much better player than he currently looks, but he quite simply isn't quite good enough (though your correct, I do prefer him to Morientes FFS  :D ).

I just think a striker should instill a fear into the opposition. For Arsenal, Adebayor doesn't really have it for me though he's a good player and worth a place in their team. Van Persie certainly does (I really think he's an excellent player TBH who will get much better than he already is), while obviously Drogba does at Chelsea. Rooney, Tevez and Saha all have it for me at man Utd, while Torres has it in buckets for us.

It's that sense, that notion for an opposition fan that their dangerous, about to do something, about to score or make a goal. I don't think Kuyt even believes himself he is about to score or create a goal so he can hardly blame us for not believing it either.

As an aside, and only the fellas who go to the game would knwo this, does Dirk still do that four corners of the ground applause thing at the end?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:59 pm

bigmick wrote:The answer to any problems which anybody thinks we might have (and in truth we haven't got any major ones) is not to start sticking youngsters in, that's just more silly talk.

Would that include Lucas? or is your point more aimed at the fact that we dont have players like owen, fowler, mcmanaman that are naturally gifted?

Im not having a dig mind but it seems that the youngsters brought in from other clubs have more of a chance of breaking into the first team than home grown ones.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:05 am

No mate I'm not talking about youngsters as in young players, if you get my drift :D No, the other bloke was on about sticking Lindfield up front (aplologies to the young lad if that's not how you spell it) and that for me is just silly talk. By "youngsters" I mean kids who are not established first team players. There's a time for giving lads like Hobbs a go but it's not in the League, not now anyway.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:09 am

Comparing Kuyt to Babel with regard to Big Mick's comment about instilling fear in the opposition:

Babel has the natural gift of speed. (Apologies if I start to sound like a typical pundit) Defenders hate people running at them with the ball and this is something Babel does naturally, even when he's low on confidence. It's his default setting. When Kuyt has been confident, he too ran at defenders with the ball (it's been so long ago the only example I can think of is his debut :p ). He's low on confidence and has reverted to his default setting, which unfortunately is to drop deep and avoid getting in goalscoring opportunities - "if you don't have the chance then you can't miss it philosophy".

How do we get Kuyt's confidence up so he becomes an effective and dangerous player? Rafa could stick with him and hope he gets a lucky break - which I believe is why he gets picked so often...
or he drops him to give him a rest and plays Babel, Crouch or Voronin instead.

I'm sure I annoy many people on here by being in the middle when it comes to rotation but I think Rafa has to pick his 1st choice partner for Torres and stick with him for the Christmas period, regardless of his early form.

Basically Torres + Rafa's 1st choice should start the next 5 or 6 games.

For me, that would be Torres and Kuyt but only because weneed a midfielder who runs at defences and without Pennant we lack that. Kewell seems to be scared to take people on at the moment.

Bammo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion