RYAN BABEL to join Hoffenheim

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Alonso14 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 am

Raj_Xedos wrote:
mungi wrote:yeh torres isnt exceptionally fast. but his accelaration is unbeliveable. and when ur around the box u only need that extra couple seconds to get the shot away.

Mungi.....

do you watch any liverpool games...??? torres isnt fast.......your a joke!

I think we all agree Torres is fast. Faster then your average Prem footballer. He's just not Henry fast.

Don't overestimate just because he's a red.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:40 am

Bad Bob wrote:In addition to Saint's explanation about the wind in the other thread (which was spot on, BTW), you may have noticed in the last few weeks that Reina likes to hit them long to Torres for quick counter attacks against defenders that have pushed up.  Has nowt to do with Crouch.

It's a very interesting tactic Bob, I've noticed it myself and I wouldn't have thought that the likes of Andy Gray will pick up on it until we score a really important goal and it becomes glaringly obvious. It seems to me that we tend to use it the most if we are up against a full-back who likes to have a bit of a go. Soon as Reina gets it he volleys it into the channel very flat so it gets there quick. They're backing Torres to get himself into a one on one with a centre-half if the punt is accurate enough, and of course even it is isn't it keeps the full-backs honest.

You'll notice Gerrard peeling off and getting into top gear as soon as Reina winds up, and they've rpobably got a few patterns of play for when Torres gets on the ball. It's an interesting take, quite route oneish and English and I must say I quite like the ploy. There probably isn't a midfielder in World football who could track Gerrard from the edge of our box to the edge of theirs when he's got up a head of steam, and Torres by himself is a bigtime handfull for the centre half. We might even get a chance to give it a shot at the weekend. Particularly if they start switching the wingers around as they do sometimes, and evra gets a bit ambitious. I'd fancy Giggs would probably fill in for the Frenchman and track back, but fantastic player that he is, Ronaldo might not and that would be the chance for the little ruse.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 am

Reina is the quikest goalkeeper in the premiership for getting the ball out quick. Watch him run like a complete nutter as soon as he catches the ball...genius.

As for Babel, hes being blooded in well enough (except on the wings) and i tend to back him as last goalscorer nowwhich makes me a fair bit of money
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 pm

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:In addition to Saint's explanation about the wind in the other thread (which was spot on, BTW), you may have noticed in the last few weeks that Reina likes to hit them long to Torres for quick counter attacks against defenders that have pushed up.  Has nowt to do with Crouch.

It's a very interesting tactic Bob, I've noticed it myself and I wouldn't have thought that the likes of Andy Gray will pick up on it until we score a really important goal and it becomes glaringly obvious. It seems to me that we tend to use it the most if we are up against a full-back who likes to have a bit of a go. Soon as Reina gets it he volleys it into the channel very flat so it gets there quick. They're backing Torres to get himself into a one on one with a centre-half if the punt is accurate enough, and of course even it is isn't it keeps the full-backs honest.

You'll notice Gerrard peeling off and getting into top gear as soon as Reina winds up, and they've rpobably got a few patterns of play for when Torres gets on the ball. It's an interesting take, quite route oneish and English and I must say I quite like the ploy. There probably isn't a midfielder in World football who could track Gerrard from the edge of our box to the edge of theirs when he's got up a head of steam, and Torres by himself is a bigtime handfull for the centre half. We might even get a chance to give it a shot at the weekend. Particularly if they start switching the wingers around as they do sometimes, and evra gets a bit ambitious. I'd fancy Giggs would probably fill in for the Frenchman and track back, but fantastic player that he is, Ronaldo might not and that would be the chance for the little ruse.

Spot on, mate.  We've seen him hit it up to Torres in the right channel for the Fulham goal and we've seen him knock it flat up the left channel for him on a couple of occasions (I think against Porto if I recall) so it can be used to exploit whichever fullback has been caught upfield.  Great, great way to isolate Torres with a CB and with the ball at his feet.  Just another way El Nino has provided a different dimension for us. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 am

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Spot on, mate.  We've seen him hit it up to Torres in the right channel for the Fulham goal and we've seen him knock it flat up the left channel for him on a couple of occasions (I think against Porto if I recall) so it can be used to exploit whichever fullback has been caught upfield.  Great, great way to isolate Torres with a CB and with the ball at his feet.  Just another way El Nino has provided a different dimension for us. :nod

Bit of a shame we couldn't get it going yesterday, particularly against Evra who pretty much monstered Benayoun and spent more time running past Arbeloa than he did tracking Yossi backwards. Unfortunately, the ball never really ended up in Reina's hands that often, and the impressive Anderson and to a slightly lesser extent Giggs covered in for the Fenchman very well.

I did suggest at half time introducing Lucas and switching Gerrard to the right and I'm surprised Rafa didn't have a go with the ploy. It would have stopped Evra's gallop for one thing, and would almost certainly have given us more quality into the box, particularly important once Crouch was on.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:46 pm

I think there was further evidence yesterday that long term, Babel will be the best partner for Torres. In his brief appearance Babel showed what he is all about which is pace, power and creativity. He offered more of a goal threat in the 20 minutes or whatever he was on for then the rest of the team combined for the full 90.

This is the reason for me why a winger is more important than a striker in January or in the summer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:48 pm

The_Rock wrote:The thing is when babel usually comes on...the other team is pressing at the other end...so he has a lot of space to run with the ball.

When he starts the match, he kinda struggles because the  marking is tight. He then looks very ordinary.

To be fair...i am still not sure about babel. But one thing is for sure...he ain't a left winger. Rafa should play him upfront.

I heard a stat that all five of his goals have come as sub when he comes on and plays up front

I was not shocked that Kewell was first off and that could only mean Aurelio or Babel on the wing. Crouch came on and proved his height was easy enough for the manc CBs to deal with and win the ball, so why not attack them with pace instead?!?!?!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Owzat wrote:I heard a stat that all five of his goals have come as sub when he comes on and plays up front

Now, that would be an interesting stat to verify.  A cursory check doesn't quite bear it out, though.  In the Bolton and Newcastle games, he came on for Kewell at LM and there were still two strikers on the pitch with him for the rest of the game, suggesting he was deployed as a winger when he scored those goals.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Bigmick says

Bit of a shame we couldn't get it going yesterday, particularly against Evra who pretty much monstered Benayoun and spent more time running past Arbeloa than he did tracking Yossi backwards. Unfortunately, the ball never really ended up in Reina's hands that often, and the impressive Anderson and to a slightly lesser extent Giggs covered in for the Fenchman very well.

True the bit about Evra, that was the consequence of we making dissappear Ronaldo, much like they tried to make dissapear Gerrard. How many times was involved Ronaldo in the first half when we were closing spaces? next to zero. Cráp game of him? not necessarily, we simply did a good work there.

As for Babel I'm not in the he's a striker brigade yet, I think he can be a good wing man. I agree those who say he has a dribling, he dribbles more with his legs, than with his waist. I especially liked him for his power in one run he made in the second half. I think he could play as striker, but I can see why he's played as a winger too.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Sabre wrote:I agree those who say he has a dribling, he dribbles more with his legs, than with his waist.

always a bonus  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 am

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:

I did suggest at half time introducing Lucas and switching Gerrard to the right and I'm surprised Rafa didn't have a go with the ploy. It would have stopped Evra's gallop for one thing, and would almost certainly have given us more quality into the box, particularly important once Crouch was on.

was thinking exactly the same thing BM. And I thought he'd bring on Leiva when he brought on Babel.

Evra killed us.

Though Riise got as much of the ball in the 2nd half but couldnt deliver a decent cross. Too busy always thinking about getting into a shooting position.

Bleeding LFC leftbacks. Its been our achilles heel position ever since Aaln Kenndy
tel

Postby tel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:29 am

Babel was a bought as a striker.

The thinking is he needs time to adapt to the English game.

He does not. Kuyt needs time because he has no talent.

babel has talent.
tel

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:11 am

With Crouchie out 3 games, I would think Babel will get his chance to partner with Torres in a strong side coming up
JoeTerp

Postby hello_red » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I would think that playing Babel on the flanks is a good way of letting him settle in.

I hope he gets a chance with Torres, our counters would be terrifying.

Theres a chance he could be as good if not better than Torres in a couple of seasons. Yep  :glare:
But have the ability to play together.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafas-Y-Fronts » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I am unsure about Ryan Babel at the moment in all honesty.

He looks very awkward on the ball and although he can produce moments of magic......still tends to remind me somewhat of Djibril Cisse which is not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination!

He has scored a few lovely goals so far this season and maybe he just needs to relax more when on the ball and let his ability come to the fore.
Rafas-Y-Fronts

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion