Rotation, - The 2008/09 season question.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:02 pm

bigmick wrote:Well I don't the think the win against Everton was due to the new found discovery of sensible team selections, but I must say it is nice for once that a poor perfomance was not followed by an extended bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip while we chopped and changed the positions, formations and line ups. We still aren't for me playing with anything like the fluency that us non-rotationists promised we would once we got sensible, but we are at least in the habit of winning games and closing them out a bit better.

Despite the fact we had a collective bad day at the office at Old Trafford, the truth is we weren't going to win the league anyway so yesterdays game was far more important. I remain extremely encouraged by Rafa's conversion to a settled pattern and a largely settled team, despite the fact that he is claiming in interviews that little has changed.

We are obviously going to get quite a stiff examination over the next few matches with Arsenal, and at least the win yesterday means that if Rafa really must have a little dabble, he can do it in the league game and it shouldn't be too disasterous. Funnily enough, we are at the stage of the season now where a little bit of sensible rotation here and there probably makes sense. Torres won't be fresher in the second leg of the Champions league tie because he only played half an hour in the Pompey and Birmingham games five months ago, but it might well make a difference if he doesn't play the whole ninety in this next league match.

I predicted a couple of months back that the other top of the table teams would begin to rotate more not less as the season rolled on, and particularly in Man Utd's case they have borne out the theory. They did it the other way around to us, a settled team for the first half of the season until they had well and truly established momentum before some resting as the players became tired later on, followed no doubt by a settled team for the run in. I suppose the fact that they've chopped and changed in the third quarter of the season and we've suddenly got quite sensible should at least allow the likes of Tompkins to profess at the end of the season that infact we've rotated only 0.0234 more players per game in which we played against a team with a ginger haired manager more than Man Utd. No doubt we won the "two legged" versions of the league meetings with said teams as well but that's another story.

I hope rafa is brave enough to go in with the same system but with the obvious inclusion of masherano for the next game. Perhaps Hyppia won't be needed although these days with Adebayor Arsenal do play much more direct than they used to, but I hope he continues to give the team the chance to keep grinding out results. Now is not the time to blink and go back to Rafa style.

Benitez looks to of settled on this formation mick, even if it is just for the duration of this season, it's a start at least. He's still making one or two changes here and there, Carra out to right back, Riise coming in for the odd game, but he does look to of got what he thinks is his best 11 now. I won't complain about that, alls I ask is he plays HIS, not mine or yours, but his best 11 constantly. He's getting there at long last.

Looking ahead to next season however, I see him chopping and changing again and this bollox excuse of "we're only in two competitions now so we don't have to rotate as much" is bollox hence it being a bollox excuse  :laugh:  The league cup doesn't start for us till mid October so we're only in two competitions up until then (10 weeks or so into to the season) but he doesn't keep a settled side to that point. The European Cup finishes for it's break around the start of December and the FA Cup doesn't start for another month after that, so why during that period isn't it a settled side. Obviously that's the busiest time of the year around Christmas and New Year but it still doesn't require 4 changes every game. Then the league cup finishes end of Feburary. So for two weeks in an entire season we could be in all four competitions at once. That's between Valentine's day and the start of March. Two weeks and it warrants the amount of rotation he makes. Not for me.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:04 pm

GBJH has a point, but some slate him for it at times
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Judge wrote:GBJH has a point, but some slate him for it at times

John's sound...... He's just a little strange with some of his ideas which have me rolling on the floor with laughter sometimes.... The old wierdo!  :p  :D

(Just taking the mick, John.  :laugh: )
ConnO'var

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Credit where credit is due, this time he has an excellent point.  I've often wondered about this 4 competitions thing, given the way the schedule works out.  I think a better way to look at it is to ask, at what points during the season, are we likely to be playing 2 games a week, most weeks.  This is key because, for Rafa, players in the modern game can't play 2 games a week for most of the season and have enough left in the tank come the run-in (some people obviously disagree with that but that's a separate debate).  So, when do we have sustained stretches of games twice a week?  Well, during the autumn, when we have league matches on the weekend and either CL group stage matches or League Cup matches midweek.  This wraps up by mid-December but then we're into the festive season, when league fixtures crop up only a few days apart in some cases.  But, come January, things die down a bit: the CL doesn't get going again until late February and FA Cup matches actually replace league matches on weekends.  By the time the CL gets going again, the League Cup is done and the FA Cup is fairly manageable.  Sure, there are always rescheduled league fixtures and international matches to consider too but the real heavy period of the season seems to be October through the end of December.  This might suggest that we could pick a more settled team in the first half of the season and rest tired legs a lot more in January and early February, provided people accept the strategy and stop freaking out when Rafa uses the squad for FA Cup matches.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Credit where credit is due, this time he has an excellent point.  I've often wondered about this 4 competitions thing, given the way the schedule works out.  I think a better way to look at it is to ask, at what points during the season, are we likely to be playing 2 games a week, most weeks.  This is key because, for Rafa, players in the modern game can't play 2 games a week for most of the season and have enough left in the tank come the run-in (some people obviously disagree with that but that's a separate debate).  So, when do we have sustained stretches of games twice a week?  Well, during the autumn, when we have league matches on the weekend and either CL group stage matches or League Cup matches midweek.  This wraps up by mid-December but then we're into the festive season, when league fixtures crop up only a few days apart in some cases.  But, come January, things die down a bit: the CL doesn't get going again until late February and FA Cup matches actually replace league matches on weekends.  By the time the CL gets going again, the League Cup is done and the FA Cup is fairly manageable.  Sure, there are always rescheduled league fixtures and international matches to consider too but the real heavy period of the season seems to be October through the end of December.  This might suggest that we could pick a more settled team in the first half of the season and rest tired legs a lot more in January and early February, provided people accept the strategy and stop freaking out when Rafa uses the squad for FA Cup matches.

these footy lads now are alot fitter and stronger than in the good ole days

they should be able to cope with the physical strains of the modern games and be able to play week in week out !
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:20 pm

ConnO'var wrote:

John's sound...... He's just a little strange with some of his ideas which have me rolling on the floor with laughter sometimes.... The old wierdo!  :p  :D

from nipper to old in a couple of weeks  :laugh: and it's me who changes me mind :laugh:
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

they should be able to cope with the physical strains of the modern games and be able to play week in week out !

The game is also much faster and requires more stamina than in the good old days.  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

from nipper to old in a couple of weeks  :laugh: and it's me who changes me mind :laugh:

:D

Nah mate.... I'm getting senile too!

:down:  :laugh:
ConnO'var

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:00 pm

getting senile con? who you kidding, you've been senile for the best part of two decades :laugh:
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:13 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

The game is also much faster and requires more stamina than in the good old days.  :;):

i fucking know that. dont be smart

thats the point im trying to make. they should be able to cope etc, regardless of how fast the game is. goes hand in hand

not so long ago people found it hard to run a mile in 4 mins, now it can be done in 3 and half

get my drift

theres no excuse for those players in football to manage to play more often, by todays standards
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 am

Bamaga man wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:GBJH you might as well have posted that in Chinese. :p

no chance mate, my english isn't great never mind chinese  :laugh:

I was saying that I have no idea what all that Crickett jargon meant

Dont worry Joe, Cricket is shyte anyway.  :sleep

And so say all of those who don't understand it  :O

Anyway good time to point out the TFC starts monday

http://www.fantasycricket.telegraph.co.uk
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

thats the point im trying to make. they should be able to cope etc, regardless of how fast the game is. goes hand in hand

not so long ago people found it hard to run a mile in 4 mins, now it can be done in 3 and half

get my drift

theres no excuse for those players in football to manage to play more often, by todays standards

Sorry mate but I've got to agree with Rafa on this one (excerpt of his interview with liverpoolfc.tv):

There's so much at stake in Champions League football. The stakes are so high so that does make it more difficult for players to recover both physically and mentally in time to recover for Saturday?

Yes. It's really difficult clearly, especially if you play at the high tempo and the pace of the game like the other day. It's not easy and we will need to check each player but at least we have a good squad.

Can the players be in top condition for this game?

It depends on each one. No, I don't think they will be ready for the game on Saturday and then the game on Tuesday. I think it will almost be impossible but it depends on each player.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 pm

He's preparing to drop players that what it means and i'm with him on his this . Sensible rotation is ok .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Judge wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

get my drift

Sorry mate but I've got to agree with Rafa on this one (excerpt of his interview with liverpoolfc.tv):

There's so much at stake in Champions League football. The stakes are so high so that does make it more difficult for players to recover both physically and mentally in time to recover for Saturday?

Yes. It's really difficult clearly, especially if you play at the high tempo and the pace of the game like the other day. It's not easy and we will need to check each player but at least we have a good squad.

Can the players be in top condition for this game?

It depends on each one. No, I don't think they will be ready for the game on Saturday and then the game on Tuesday. I think it will almost be impossible but it depends on each player.

Just to add to that from Balague's interview with Rafa:

Nowadays, in comparison to 20 years ago, we play 20 per cent more games in a season. Players run 15 per cent more than they used to and, even more importantly, they run 30 per cent faster.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:10 pm

yes they also run on carpet like pitches, healthy diets and in an age where the "hard" players are Robbie Savage and Joey Barton.

Try running on pitches knee deep in mud, after 40 ciggys and 10 pints the night before as well as being chased by Jimmy Case, Tommy Smith and Joey Jones. You'd certainly run fast if you had those three up your :censored:.

Lets take 1977 as a prime example. 42 league games (four more than nowadays) 8 fa cup games (2 replays, so really six, same as nowadays) 2 games in the league cup (is 7 if you got to the final...one more than nowadays because we join in round three nowadays rather than round two) and 9 in the european cup (4 less than nowadays if you take away qualifiers) So in 1977 we could of played 64 games (excluding replays). Next season if we win all four we'll play 63 games (excluding replays and qualifiers) Unless my maths teacher was a total idiot and taught me wrong 64 games in 77 is more than 63 games in 2008. Wouldn't you agree?
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion