Postby Dom1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:13 pm

haha, yeah he does look a bit like john charles :D 

i hope you werent comparing there talent :p
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:15 pm

Listen bluenose read about him then come back

In an Italian poll of football journalists he was voted the greates ever foreigner to have played in Serie A. Have a think about the players that have played there

The poll was about two years ago BTW
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:16 pm

oh shut up :D , your not honestly comparing him to Garrincha ??
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Postby Dom1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:17 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:If you look at his feet you can imagine how good he'd be at turning a fullback.

(there's a gay innuendo smart ****** comment coming from somewhere)

usually taff or alans job for the smart ****** comments  :D
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:17 pm

John Charles apparently was a top, top player in Italy, as Taff points out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dom1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:20 pm

im not sayin that he wasnt!
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:23 pm

Dom1 wrote:oh shut up :D , your not honestly comparing him to Garrincha ??

No different styles although you belittled his name.
I aint no Welsh crazie but afer he died a lot of people here felt guilty as he was never appreciated in Britain.

They had banners and minute silence in Turin after he died.

Im telling you he was absolute class. And in the Welsh sports personality awards he gave an award to "Brian Giggs" 
:laugh:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:24 pm

i suppose they are completely different players and he was class, not like garrincha though!
when you're 4-0 up..
Dom1

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:25 pm

taff wrote:
Dom1 wrote:oh shut up :D , your not honestly comparing him to Garrincha ??

No different styles although you belittled his name.
I aint no Welsh crazie but afer he died a lot of people here felt guilty as he was never appreciated in Britain.

They had banners and minute silence in Turin after he died.

Im telling you he was absolute class. And in the Welsh sports personality awards he gave an award to "Brian Giggs" 
:laugh:

He was a magnificent player, my grandad loved him.

If only players these days played with the same grace and sportsmanship as big John.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:31 pm

I dont want to hark on but my mate works in BBC Sport and did a documentary on him.

When Del Pierro saw him he got his autograph book out and waited to speak to him.

In an intervew with the Juventus chairman on how much he would be worth now he replied 100 million pounds

They asked him what would you do if there was another JC i the world and he said Id carry him on my back to Turin.

When my mate was doing the doc it took him two months to get an interview with Ryan Giggs going through differnt agents etc but when he phoned JC he told him cant speak and he hung up.  Twenty minutes later JC called him back saying sorry mate I never miss Coronatin Street  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:52 am

John Charles was one of the greatest sportsmen ever.  I did a presentation on sportsmanship a few years ago in school and I used him as an example, the major example I used was the one where during a match against Turina (or whatever the other team from Turin was along with Juventus was called) he dribbled past a defender and the goalie slipped, so he had an open goal, but when he passed the defender the defender slipped as well and actually broke his ankle.  John Charles put the ball into touch (and he had an open goal from about 20 yards!) so that the defender could get treatment.  Is there any player in the world who would do that today?

On the topic though, Robinho is class, he's great to watch when ESPN do the Brazilian league.  If PSV are in for him though then why couldn't we, though I suppose they would be cashed up from the sale of Robben and Kezman.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:16 am

Starbridge42 wrote:On the topic though, Robinho is class, he's great to watch when ESPN do the Brazilian league.  If PSV are in for him though then why couldn't we,

I don't think that we as a club have any connections on Brazil or South America. I have never heard of us being linked with any South American transfers.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:33 am

From what I have read today, Robino has almost certainly been purchased by Chelsea for 10 million pounds with him only joining in 2008/08 season. From january 2005 onwards, he will be loaned to Benfica as for now he will not get a work permit in the UK due to him not having played at the requisite minimum number (or rather %) of the games within the the past 1 or 2 years (if I am not mistaken it is playing in 75% (otr is it 25%) of the national squad matches from the time he was first capped or something like that).

If this is so, it is quite a gamble by Chelski - suppose he plays for Benfica and gets a horriffic injury that sidelines him for a year and Brazil caps several more new starlets that he never gets the minimum no. of games to qualify for a work permit by 2007/08, then he still can't play for Chelski. Well, it is their sugar daddy's money to gamble and throw away...:D
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:34 am

Do we have scouts over there?  Its just baffling to think we wouldnt when a significant percent of the worlds top footballers come from South America.  If we really wanted to seek top talent we'd have a large number of scouts in Brazil, Argentina, and the rest of the south america.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:35 am

Starbridge42 wrote:Do we have scouts over there?  Its just baffling to think we wouldnt when a significant percent of the worlds top footballers come from South America.  If we really wanted to seek top talent we'd have a large number of scouts in Brazil, Argentina, and the rest of the south america.

But how many cut the mustard in the English top flight?

I can count them on one hand.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion