Robbie keane was a red thread - Lasting memories of robbie

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 am

bigmick wrote:So (and I ask this in all seriousness) is it fair to say that the term "paddy" being seen as derogatory is a fairly recent phenomenon? Try saying that when you've got a Nuttals Minto in your mouth.

It's just I distictly remember Irish comedians using the term in jokes, "Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a pub, Paddy says....." etc etc etc.

I can't help thinking that sometimes we all allow oursleves to get offended by things are said in the most innoccuous way. That said, if it really is on the taboo list of words (alongside Nigger, Pakki, Yid etc) then I for one will tread carefully around it in the future. I can't remember the last time I used the term mind, it was probably when I was with a load of Irish people and they were using it.

It's a bit complicated Mick.Trading insults between friends is normal and i could accept a mate calling me a 'paddy'.

Calling me a 'fuc.king paddy' however would be a different story.

I'm a different generation to the young lads on here though.I'm the old school who had full body searches getting off the boat at Liverpool or Holyhead.Happened to me almost every trip.

Being a Dubliner around Anfield was a positive in those days though.The local lads treated us so well you wouldn't believe it.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 am

greenred wrote:
Bam wrote:

Anyone called me a 'paddy' to my face and i would make sure they didn't speak another word for several weeks.

Yeah alright .

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:58 am

this thread has gone off the tracks....
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:03 am

Bam wrote:
oreilly wrote:im irish and i dont consider being called a paddy offensive,  paddy to me is usually said by a happy american or brit - no harm ment, just a term of endearment --------- thats my view anyway

Good on ye lad.

Surely that is the key, how the person using the term meant it. Of course what a lot of people don't appreciate is the lack of understanding people who don't live in those places have, like the squabble started when someone from outside Liverpool joked about wheel theft in Liverpool. What people from inside Liverpool need to appreciate is that the 'joke' is common and not often taken offensively outside of Merseyside so it is what outsiders become accustomed to hearing/saying. So a bit of understanding from both sides is the best thing rather than animosity on what is, at worst, someone's ignorance.

Anyway, I see Keane and spudz couldn't score against 10 man Arsenal. I also heard Keane was b*tching about fitness/training. Perhaps he just lacks the "match fitness" Owen claims is a myth
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Bam wrote:
bigmick wrote:Quick question, is it Ok to call Taff, "Taff" since he actually has it as his name  ??? Because "Taff" as far as I'm aware is a geographic group nickname, ie those who come from Wales are sometimes called "Taffs". Just checking, and while we're at it can we clear up "scouser", "cockney", "Manc" (that must be OK surely, it's onamatapeic (well it isn't but you get my drift). Geordie and the like must be Ok, Brummie and all them? It's a bit confusing sometimes particularly when these little sub groups call themselves by these names, and use it in generic terms themselves but others aren't allowed to go there. A good example of that is n!gger, not that I am complaining about not being able to use it, it's a horrible word. A bit like c..., or crevice, that's a dirty word  :D, security on the other hand isn't.

Thanks Mick for that.

I'm a Cockney, well a Southerner, and dont get offended when we play Chelsea and everyone and their Mother shouts off 'Lets beat these Cockney K.unts'

Well fk off you cockney knt!! Joke !!!!!!! Couldn't help myself - probably get banned!

LOL  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Somebody agrees with me. Ffs that's got to be a first. Robbie couldn't hack the pressure. He looked a lot more comfortable playing for a future Championship club! Have a look at this link http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine....-o.html
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:32 pm

devaney wrote:
Bam wrote:
bigmick wrote:Quick question, is it Ok to call Taff, "Taff" since he actually has it as his name  ??? Because "Taff" as far as I'm aware is a geographic group nickname, ie those who come from Wales are sometimes called "Taffs". Just checking, and while we're at it can we clear up "scouser", "cockney", "Manc" (that must be OK surely, it's onamatapeic (well it isn't but you get my drift). Geordie and the like must be Ok, Brummie and all them? It's a bit confusing sometimes particularly when these little sub groups call themselves by these names, and use it in generic terms themselves but others aren't allowed to go there. A good example of that is n!gger, not that I am complaining about not being able to use it, it's a horrible word. A bit like c..., or crevice, that's a dirty word  :D, security on the other hand isn't.

Thanks Mick for that.

I'm a Cockney, well a Southerner, and dont get offended when we play Chelsea and everyone and their Mother shouts off 'Lets beat these Cockney K.unts'

Well fk off you cockney knt!! Joke !!!!!!! Couldn't help myself - probably get banned!

No mate, it seems you can call Bam what you want ....... and he gets banned  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:24 pm

I thought this was quite funny.

The real reason Keane went back to Spurs was because he fecked up the tarmac on Rafas drive way and was insulted when he seen the bench :D

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm

devaney wrote:
Bam wrote:

Thanks Mick for that.

i'm welsh ( yes i know the shame the shame  :D ) no i get called taff everyday i always have ever since i moved over to bristol and started working where i do, it doesn't bother me and it is only the people i work with who do it no one else ever calls me it

i have to say i know a lot of people who do get pi*sed off with it but the most don't worry about it
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:19 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
devaney wrote:
Bam wrote:

Thanks Mick for that.

i'm welsh ( yes i know the shame the shame  :D ) no i get called taff everyday i always have ever since i moved over to bristol and started working where i do, it doesn't bother me and it is only the people i work with who do it no one else ever calls me it

i have to say i know a lot of people who do get pi*sed off with it but the most don't worry about it

Well most people call me a Scandi &%¤$. The first part of which annoys me because I don't like being associated with the bloody Swedes and to a lesser degree Danes. I can't really complain about the second part though :p.
Not sure if there are any really derogatory remarks about Norwegians, I'm sure you lot can come up with a few though  :D
heimdall

Postby big al » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

I've been waiting for this discussion about Paddy or even Orish as one of the moderators here commented.  Theres more being taken and read into Keane leaving Liverpool than normal footballing matters.  Seems that a significant number of Irish people are p'd off that there national captain has left Liverpool.  I am very bemused by this.  I'm Northern Irish but always describe myself as Irish I ahve no other football allegiances other than Liverpool.  I love watching footbal even in the park but only as a neutral and if my dad was the manager of Liverpool and was'nt doing his job I'd be haapy for him to get the boot.  I don't think Robbie Keane is a bad player in fact if we'd bought him for 5 or 6 million I would have been happy to see him stay but put things in perspective, He cost 20million that = 4 fifths of Nando,  Perhaps 2 thirds of David Villa,  for what he cost and a babbel we could have a world class centre forward.  Robbie was a little fish in a big pond at Anfield back in London he'll be a big fish in a little pond and I think he'll be happier.  Lastly If Rafa wants to sell for the sake of the club you either have to grin and bare it or go and support someone else.  I remember the sale of Rushie, Keegan, Fowler and Owen to name but a few. The truth is no one or no national pride is bigger than Liverpool. So stop moaning and get behind the team.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:30 pm

:nod
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Zidane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Why hasn't this been locked yet ???
Zidane

Postby steviec » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm

supersub wrote:Now that the other Robbie Keane threads have run their course I thought it only fair to allow the Robbie fans the opportunity to bask in the glorious 6 months that Robbie Keane spent at Anfield.

Feel free to post your best moments

if Rafa felt that Robbie Keane wasn't up to it, then why the hell is Babel still there, and Kuyt (though he does get the odd goal) but he gives away the ball more than anyone in the team. He kept substituting Robbie, so how did he know he wasn't gonna score.  Robbie Keane is a wonderful player, the complete pro, and a brilliant footballing brain. If we lose the title this season, I will blame Rafa for this baffling sale and misuse of a talented player.
Save money on expensive binoculars by standing closer to the object you are trying to observe
steviec

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 pm

steviec wrote:If we lose the title this season, I will blame Rafa for this baffling sale and misuse of a talented player.

He is also great at doing this is Robbie :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DukONKOag
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion