Robbie keane was a red thread - Lasting memories of robbie

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Madmax » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:53 am

Mods think you should lock this topic now.. pointless subject!!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 am

Yep,it is certainly looking like an embarrasing thread after tonight's result and Gerrard's injury.

Keane could have been the perfect player to play in the hole behind Torres.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 am

keane has gone - In his own words he is now back "home" . Time to move on .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Sounding like a bit of a t.it now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....er.html

Robbie Keane still baffled by Liverpool cold shoulder
Tottenham are urging everyone heading to White Hart Lane on Sunday "to wear something out of the ordinary'' and Robbie Keane will lead the way.

By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 8:03PM GMT 06 Feb 2009
Robbie Keane still baffled by Anfield cold shoulder

Donning boots and a football strip will make a welcome match-day wardrobe change after being left out in the cold by Liverpool.

Keane is a popular, respectful individual who rarely criticises anyone, and stressed on Friday that he did not want "a feud'' with Rafael Benitez, but he clearly feels aggrieved at his treatment by the Liverpool manager during seven unhappy months at Anfield.

Wearing a badge promoting Tottenham's "World Orphan Week" initiative, which involves fans sporting esoteric garb for Sunday's north London derby, Harry Redknapp's new captain sat in the Spurs training ground, relieved to be working for a manager who appreciated him but still stunned by how things unfolded under Benitez.

"You're probably as baffled as I am," said the Irishman, shaking his head.

"I was never late for training. I worked my socks off. I know for a fact that in my career I have done a job for the team. As long as I am given that opportunity, I will score goals. I don't have to prove myself to anybody.''

A naturally polite person, Keane's frequent use of the word "fact" on Friday raised a few eyebrows; the word is now synonymous with Benitez following the Spaniard's "that's a fact" outburst at Sir Alex Ferguson. Asked whether he felt match-fit, Keane smiled: "Obviously I feel fresh – and that's a fact!''

Guilty of a sly dig or not, Keane deserves sympathy. On arriving at Anfield for £20 million, Keane was informed by Benitez that he would be utilised in his preferred position.

"He told me he wanted me as a second striker with [Fernando] Torres,'' mused Keane. "But unfortunately Torres was injured so we only played a few games together.

"I was playing as a lone striker and everyone knows I am not a target man. He used me left wing sometimes, which is not my game. I played out of position a few times."

Out of position, out of favour, out in the cold: Keane's very public demise at Anfield was excruciating to behold and bemusing. Those promoted in his stead, like David N'Gog, were not in the class of an experienced forward watching from the stands or from home.

"If you look at my record compared to most of them [like N'Gog and Ryan Babel], I think it's probably a little bit better. I was disappointed because I love to be involved, I love to play, and to have that taken away is disappointing.

"I just want to be treated as the same as everybody else.'' When Steven Gerrard then tore a hamstring at Everton on Wednesday, Liverpool cried out for somebody like Keane to race on and play the second-striker role in support of Torres.

"I was just disappointed for Stevie,'' Keane observed diplomatically.

He shrugged when informed that Benitez had been grilled at Goodison over the folly of offloading Keane.

"And? That's not my problem now, is it? I am not concerned about Liverpool. I wish the lads, Rafa and the staff well. I made some good friends there and Carra [Jamie Carragher] and Stevie are great lads, two great professionals."

If Carragher, Gerrard and Torres manage to drive Liverpool to the title, Keane will qualify for a winner's medal, but he would not keep it. "Not at all. My brother is a Liverpool fan so I'd probably. . ." Keane tailed off, hinting he would give the medal to his brother but then remembered something about his sibling. "He's a Tottenham fan now.''

The numerous questions fired at Keane on Friday probably do not even match the number he wants to ask Benitez. Did Benitez enlighten Keane on why he was being left out? "No."

Wouldn't an explanation from Benitez have been civilised? "Get the train up to Liverpool and ask him.'' Did Benitez clarify why he was being sold? "No."

Did he feel a pawn in the power battle between Benitez and Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry? Keane paused, shook his head again and reiterated his disbelief at his treatment.

"I've never been left out of a squad, ever, in my career. I believe I could have brought a lot to that squad. I respect Rafa for the way he picks his team, unfortunately I just didn't fit into the way he wants to play football. With a different manager there, possibly it could have worked.''

Benitez's comment that Keane struggled with life at a "big club" drew a tart response from Redknapp. "Big club?!" spluttered the Spurs manager, thinking about Keane's CV.

"Robbie's played for Inter Milan. Leeds were one of the biggest clubs in the country. Tottenham are a massive club. He can make it anywhere, he is that good a player.

"Only a certain few players have got his fantastic enthusiasm. Look at Carlos Tevez for Manchester United against us: he was full of energy, full of movement and when he lost the ball he chased after it like kids do in the playground. Robbie plays that way.

"Even in training he's been bright and sharp. He's scored a couple of fantastic goals in training already. It gives everybody a lift. Woody [Jonathan Woodgate] and [Jermaine] Jenas have been ringing him. They all wanted him back because they knew we needed him."

Keane smiled at all the compliments spilling from a manager's mouth. It has been a while, after all, since he felt so loved. "Harry has a record of having a great relationship with his players,'' Keane said.

"He speaks to the players. When he gets a player in, he certainly gives them an opportunity and that's something I'm relishing.

"I'm training with a smile on my face again. Because of the recession, I was renting up there and I kept my house down here. Maybe it was fate. Obviously I am back where I belong."
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 am

Don't know about a t!t, sounds like a nice fella to me. Nothing in the interview alters my opinion of him. It is perhaps a bit worrying from the interview that the manager didn't even try by the sounds of it to explain to him where he was goign wrong. Maybe it was worth a shot after spending 20 million quid on him but maybe not. Probably the modern way is just not to pick him and not to bother yourself explaining why.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 am

Keane had enough chances.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:20 am

bigmick wrote:Don't know about a t!t, sounds like a nice fella to me. Nothing in the interview alters my opinion of him. It is perhaps a bit worrying from the interview that the manager didn't even try by the sounds of it to explain to him where he was goign wrong. Maybe it was worth a shot after spending 20 million quid on him but maybe not. Probably the modern way is just not to pick him and not to bother yourself explaining why.

Just seems pretty bitter to me now, lots of sneaky little jabs at us there, sounds like he's hinting he's not even a Liverpool fan either

" As long as I am given that opportunity, I will score goals. I don't have to prove myself to anybody.''

Nah doesn't need to prove himself, he's a liverpool legend..even if he couldn't score from 5 yards.

Did he think he did well here or something
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:21 am

Alex G. wrote:Keane had enough chances.

On the occasions in the immediate aftermath of him scoring two goals in the previous match? It's an interesting opinion.

Regardless of anything to do with Keane, what do you think of the decision to sell him without a replacement? Don't tell me, tactical genius   :laugh:
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 am

bigmick wrote:

On the occasions in the immediate aftermath of him scoring two goals in the previous match? It's an interesting opinion.

Regardless of anything to do with Keane, what do you think of the decision to sell him without a replacement? Don't tell me, tactical genius   :laugh:

He sold him because he would have gotten more for him now than had he waited till the summer and as he wasn't planning on using him anyway (barring an extreme situation) he thought he may as well sell him now. Given that Rafa has to wheel and deal he done the right thing.

However now we have injuries that doesnt look so bad but I bet if we were still top and a few points clear not as many would be so smug and slating his decision to sell him.

He had his chance and yes Rafa took him off now and again but he missed so many sitters and fluffed chances he partly contributed to his own downfall.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am

bigmick wrote:Don't know about a t!t, sounds like a nice fella to me. Nothing in the interview alters my opinion of him. It is perhaps a bit worrying from the interview that the manager didn't even try by the sounds of it to explain to him where he was goign wrong. Maybe it was worth a shot after spending 20 million quid on him but maybe not. Probably the modern way is just not to pick him and not to bother yourself explaining why.

I can't say he's a tít either.

There are a couple of bits I don't like, but most of it is fair enough.

I certainly feel shocking he wasn't given a proper explanation for the reason of being sold.

the bits I don't like are this

"I just want to be treated as the same as everybody else.''

Except for the shocking selling of the player in the mid of the season, with no replacement, until that moment he was treated as everybody else me thinks.

That is, I don't think he was treated more harshly than when Crouch wasn't picked in his last season, or when Alonso was left out of the squad once and said he was sold. Rafa may be cold, but I don't see from outside special coldness towards Keane.

"I've never been left out of a squad, ever, in my career. I believe I could have brought a lot to that squad. I respect Rafa for the way he picks his team, unfortunately I just didn't fit into the way he wants to play football. With a different manager there, possibly it could have worked.''

This makes me think that Keane accepts not to play worse than other players like Alonso or Mascherano.

No matter Redknapp says Leeds was big and Tottenham massive, we all know Liverpool are a bigger club. You can ask any neutral fan in any country.

I also don't like that in case he wins the league he won't be happy for the fans. Or at least he haven't said so. It seemed to me Anfield supported him as well as anyone else.

So, I won't say he's a nice fella because there are signs of a difficult player to manage, but I can't say he looks like a tít, either.

In any case, I'm still shocked by all this and I think we'll regret it.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am

He was treated very very poorly.

2 days before the window closed, Rafa stated Robbie had a future at Liverpool.

The day after it closed, Rafa says Keane was not good enough???

Whatever way you look at it, Rafa is lying through his teeth. The real truth is yet to be disclosed imo.

I think this thread is gonna be active for quite a while considering Gerrard & Torres are both on the short term injury list.

To clarify a few things about Keane, I am going to select an excerpt from Jamie Kanwars topic regarding the subject from liverpoolkop.com in my next post.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am

s@int wrote:What I don't understand is when I said I didn't rate Keane before he came, there was only Stmichael agreed with me. Now suddenly everyone thought he was cr@p and never rated him. :D

Not me S@int, I thought/think his a good little player TBH. Just he never showed his true form IMHO here at LFC.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am

stmichael wrote:from football 365.com

:D

:laugh:  Simple yet sums it all up !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 am

Cut the spin, Rafa: Robbie Keane 'failed' at Anfield because YOU stabbed him in the back  by
Jaime Kanwar

Rafael Benitez's atrocious man-management 'skills' and negligent misuse of Robbie Keane are the real reasons the Irishman 'failed' at Anfield.

In April 2008, I wrote an article warning against wasting huge amounts of money on a top class striker:

Why Liverpool Cannot and Should Not Sign David Villa

Many of the things I argued in that article ended up coming true with regards to Robbie Keane. I basically argued that buying another top class striker was a mistake if:

a) He was not going to be played regularly
b) Rafa was going to persist with a 4-2-3-1 formation

The article stated:

If Liverpool were to sign David Villa - or a striker of comparable quality - such a player is not going be happy sitting on the bench waiting for Crouch-like cameo roles. A player like Villa needs to play regularly and should play regularly, or what’s the point of spending all the money?

In the article, I also argued:

If someone like Villa was to sign, and Liverpool continued to play with one up front, it would be a recipe for disaster. Somewhere along the line, either Villa or Torres would become dissatisfied with warming the bench. Alternatively, Rafa could try and accommodate both strikers by playing 4-4-2, but this would cause the team to become unbalanced again.

And what happened? 442 with Keane in the team didn't work, and when it didn't, Rafa basically discarded him.

There is an (unproven) conspiracy theory going around about how Rafa didn't want Keane and the transfer was all Rick Parry's doing.

NONSENSE.

No top flight team allows a Chief Executive to sign a £20m player without any input from the Manager, and anyone who actually believes this needs to get their head examined.

Rafa wanted Keane...and then in just 6 months, he almost managed to destroy the player's career and confidence.

I don't care what went on behind the scenes between Benitez and Parry - no player deserves to be treated with the level of disrespect Benitez displayed towards Keane. This is not the Liverpool way and I feel ashamed that a manager of the club could act in such a manner.

With the constant substitutions, playing on the wing, forcing him into an unfamiliar role/system and dropping him every time he scored goals, Benitez did everything he could to ensure Keane failed. Let’s take a look at the facts:

Appearances - 33
Substituted - 18 times
On the bench - 10 times

So - in 28 of Keanes's 33 appearances, he was either on the bench or substituted!

Furthermore, whenever he scored goals it never seemed to make a difference:

Oct 1: Scores v PSV
Dropped the next game

Oct 22: Scores v Atletico Madrid
Subbed next game after 59 minutes.

Nov 8: Scored 2 against West Brom
Subbed next game after 59 minutes

Dec 26: Scored 2 v Bolton
Dropped the next game

How exactly is a player supposed to settle in, build up confidence and gain an understanding with his team-mates if he is ALWAYS BEING SUBSTITUTED/DROPPED?!

Benitez's job is to utilise Liverpool's assets in the best way possible to benefit the TEAM. Did he do this with Robbie Keane? The answer is undoubtedly NO.

Now, I was not a fan of the purchase to begin with, but the fact is that throughout his career, Keane has been a consummate professional, and when played in the right role, he has delivered the goals and contributed to the team.

Yet all of a sudden, at Liverpool, this premiership proven player suddenly becomes a failure?! The hand of 'Rafa the destructor' is all over this mess, and it is not the first time.

Just look at his disgraceful treatment of the likes of Peter Crouch, John Arne Riise, Xabi Alonso and Sami Hyypia - Benitez has form when it comes to detrimental man-management, and the Robbie Keane fiasco is the latest example of this worrying trend.

In light of Benitez's demands to have complete control over footballing matters (*shudder*), serious questions need to be asked about his judgement in the transfer market. It is now clear he had no clue how to get the best out of Keane, which begs the question WHY SIGN HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

The fact that Keane has gone after a only half a season (!) is further testament to the fact that Benitez made a massive mistake, which could end up costing Liverpool dearly, especially since there is no one in the squad of any real quality to replace Keane.

Oh, I forgot - Liverpool have Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel and David Ngog as cover, three undisputed goalscoring geniuses.

In recent days, Benitez - in his infinite gall - has slyly tried to shift the blame to Keane for not doing the business at Anfield, instead of accepting responsibility himself. Thus, he has exposed himself as the ultimate hypocrite.

The same goes for a certain section of Liverpool fans, who have created a spurious myth about Keane having a 'Bad attitude', citing things like berating plyers who didn't pass to him or looking perturbed when he was subtituted for the umteenth time.

What a load of twaddle - Keane had every right to be unhappy at his repeated substitutions, especially at the hands of a manager who had clearly made up his mind not to give Keane any kind of respect.

And it's not like there are any other players in the team who berate other players when things don't go their way...hmmm, Gerrard anyone? Keane has been a model professional his entire career and now Liverpool fans - supposedly the 'best in the world' - are attempting to sully his reputation. Pathetic.

With the right Manager, Keane could have been a great player for Liverpool. Instead, he was unforgivably stabbed in the back by Benitez and then cast aside like a piece of rubbish.

Keane - and Liverpool - deserved a hell of a lot better.

Things will not change though. Benitez will continue to treat players badly and his tiresome, self-interested, publicly played-out politicking will continue to drag down the club.

Still, who cares - That is what Liverpool FC is all about, right?
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 am

2 days before the window closed, Rafa stated Robbie had a future at Liverpool.

The day after it closed, Rafa says Keane was not good enough???

I'm  dissapointed of this Rafa's words too, If I have to be honest.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion