Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 am

devaney wrote:
john craig wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:
maguskwt wrote:geez you ppl are as fickle as economy. I am disappointed with how Keane has started his liverpool career... but I'm not too worried about him. First of all he's got talent... he's got more talent than Kuyt. And now you guys aren't even complaining about Kuyt anymore. Second of all he's got great character. He works hard and has the right attitude. He's not a world class striker like Torres or Villa, but he's a very good striker with great character... HE WON'T BECOME A FLOP I GUARANTEE YOU THAT!

I really do hope you are right - just two words - INTER MILAN !! I know that the departure of Lippi caused problems for Keane but the bottom line was that he simply was not good enough. Ok it is early days but I am fed up with these so-called strikers taking an unacceptable period to start scoring. Crouchy took 19 matches in the prm. How long is Robbie going to take. His work rate is fine but really what are we getting for £20m at the moment in comparison to Nando who did not cost a lot more.

I like Robbie and I really do hope he finds his scoring boots because we need them. We have not won one game in a truly convincing manner this  season. We need to start destroying teams rather than winning by the odd goal.

Inter Milan?

That's an absolutely pathetic argument to throw up and is completely irrelevant here.

Keane was very young when he went to Inter and they already had half a dozen established International strikers at the club, Keane never got the chance to prove himself there.  Why you have brought that up only you will know mate.

Is it feck. If he was good enough he would have done well there. Good players can adapt. End of.

I remember watching him in pre season there. He missed 2 consecutive penatlies.

You're getting awful outspoken these days you cheeky little fecker.

End of?

Why don't you stick to what you're best at - abusing our players in the match threads during games like a spoilt 5 year old.

John - I have given you some compelling facts about Robbie Keane and you chose to respond to somebody else that agrees with my sentiments and you accuse him of behaving like a 5 year old !!

Robbie didn't perform at Inter and he didn't perform very well for most of the time he was with Leeds.

Robbie chose not to join Liverpool when he was a lot younger. Exactly what was that all about. He preferred the idea of Wolves Coventry and Leeds I suppose. Inter the only really big name he failed to impress and at Spurs he averaged less than 15 goals a season over 6 years.

We have paid more for Robbie than Michael Owen has ever been sold for and whilst their goal scoring records do  compare the clubs they have played for don't. Michael has done all his work at the highest level including Real Madrid. I just hope that it eventually works out with Robbie but I remain to be convinced.

Anyone who judges a 19/20 year old player on 6 games in a totally different foreign league is nothing but a yogurt.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 am

aCe' wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
desmdlow wrote:Have anyone notice most of our recent strikers have take a long time to score their first goal except Torres?? (crouchie, Kuyt and Keane) Does Benitez have something to do with it?? i wonder..

Yes its Rafas fault no doubt about it.
I reckon he tells them to be sh!t and what ever you do dont score.

:O

im sure rafa had alot to do with keane not scoring more goals..
sure keane hasnt looked anywhere as good as any would have expected him to but surely playing him alone upfront, benching him after he'd just scored, and taking him out of games even when we'r losing or chasing games couldnt have done him any good !

keane needs to step it up a bit and the next few games provide a pretty solid platform for him to build on but if rafa keeps treating him the way he has been i dont really think he'd be doing him or the team for all that matters any favors !

But theres many examples of us losing untill he goes off and then we find the goals, its up to Keane to make his self undroppable like Torres, Carra, Gerrard, Reina etc.
We`ll see a better Keane when Torres is back but as I said earlyer he just needs the confidence a couple of goals would bring.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:46 am

Yeah we have won games once keane has gone off a number of times - im sure if keane was doing the business that rafa wants him to do - ie score then he wont be taken off .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 pm

john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:John - I have given you some compelling facts about Robbie Keane and you chose to respond to somebody else

You haven't given me any compelling facts mate.  Facts maybe - in terms of his goalscoring record only.

You don't need to preach to me about Keane's goalscoring record (or lack of) throughout his career, I know all that, given the fact I am Irish I have always taken interest in Keane's career.  I have never argued against the fact that his goalscoring record isn't great and that only in his last season at Spurs can I remember him hitting the 20 goal mark.  Despite that I have always rated him as a player.

The only point I have argued against in this thread is that his perceived failure at Inter was significant.  It wasn't.  The fact he only made 6 first team appearances says it all.  They paid 12 million for him and stuck him in the reserves.  A 20yr old lad with only one season of Premiership football under his belt needs more than 6 games to prove himself in what was then a stronger league than the Premiership (at the time) all round, and a completely different style of football to boot. 

How many 20 year old players have successfully moved from the Premiership to a foreign club and flourished?  None.  How many players have come to the Premiership from Serie A at the age of 20 and flourished?  None.  Does the fact that Robbie Keane didn't manage to do it have any bearing on his performances 8 years later?  No.  He went abroad too young.

You criticise his goalscoring record since returning to the Premiership, and rightly so, but if you'd actually read any of my previous posts on the issue then you'd realise you don't need to debate that point with me.

And again, why are you bringing Michael Owen into this??

I simply said that criticising Keane's spell at Inter was daft, and it is, but don't turn this into a Keane bashing vs Keane happy clapper debate - because I am in neither camp.

John - We will have to agree to differ. You are now suggesting that no twenty year olds have flourished abroad. I am not talking about flourishing I am talking about him being an abject failure in Milan. There is a massive difference. If he had shown any potential in Milan he would have got his chance - he didn't.

As I have said I like Robbie and let's face it he was brought in to score goals. He hasn't so we get frustrated and criticise - it's human nature.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:10 pm

6 games is a bit harsh to judge someone thou isnt it ? how many players would of been judged a failure after playing just six games ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:15 pm

GYBS wrote:6 games is a bit harsh to judge someone thou isnt it ? how many players would of been judged a failure after playing just six games ?

Hmmm, Voronin, Josemi, Krompkamp, Sean Dundee, Carter, Picnic, Kvarme, Ferri, Diao, Cheryou, Gonzalez and so on.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm

The problem js he is very much a confidence player. To drop him now could have the worst effect on him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:47 pm

stmichael wrote:The problem js he is very much a confidence player. To drop him now could have the worst effect on him.

Rafa subbing him every game isnt gonna do him the world of good either.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Bam wrote:
GYBS wrote:6 games is a bit harsh to judge someone thou isnt it ? how many players would of been judged a failure after playing just six games ?

Hmmm, Voronin, Josemi, Krompkamp, Sean Dundee, Carter, Picnic, Kvarme, Ferri, Diao, Cheryou, Gonzalez and so on.

you cant compare keane to that lot really thou can you .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Bam wrote:
stmichael wrote:The problem js he is very much a confidence player. To drop him now could have the worst effect on him.

if he was playing better he wouldnt get subbed thou .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 pm

GYBS wrote:
Bam wrote:

you cant compare keane to that lot really thou can you .

I didnt say you could. But you asked how many players have been judged a failure after six games.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:55 pm

GYBS wrote:
Bam wrote:

I quoted Mike, because he said he was a confidence player. I know he hasnt set the world alight I started the thread ! But I'm saying it wont do a "confidence" player any good if he's being subbed every game.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:56 pm

true mate - but if we want to really challenge i guess we cant afford to let players play themselves into form .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:59 pm

GYBS wrote:true mate - but if we want to really challenge i guess we cant afford to let players play themselves into form .

In saying that we have done this with Xabi, Gerrard, Torres and Skertel in the past.

IMO to get the best out of Keane, or to help him find form. He needs a partner upfront, unlike Torres this isnt Keanes' game.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Bam wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Bam wrote:

I quoted Mike, because he said he was a confidence player. I know he hasnt set the world alight I started the thread ! But I'm saying it wont do a "confidence" player any good if he's being subbed every game.

Agreed.

I also think that if a confidence player, I don't know... takes a cracking long pass from Alonso superbly on his chest and executes a technically brilliant volley that sneaks inside, rather than outside the post, we might not be needing to have this debate either.

I think the margins for a player like Keane in his current situation are so narrow it's untrue.
Jimmy the Weasel

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion