Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 am

Is it reasonable to expect a good amount of goals from a 20M player? Yes, it is.

Is it reasonable to expect any English club selling us a key player for a reasonable price? Sadly, no, it isn't.

Why we got Riera cheaper? Because 8M is a little fortune for Espanyol, and it's not that much for Tottenham.

Is all this Keane's fault? No, it is not.

Has helped Keane with his build up in order we're top of the table? IMHO, most definitely.

Will I be happy if he continues without scoring? No I won't.

Do I expect he'll score more goals? Yes I do.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:06 am

Sabre wrote:Is it reasonable to expect a good amount of goals from a 20M player? Yes, it is.

Is it reasonable to expect any English club selling us a key player for a reasonable price? Sadly, no, it isn't.

Why we got Riera cheaper? Because 8M is a little fortune for Espanyol, and it's not that much for Tottenham.

Is all this Keane's fault? No, it is not.

Has helped Keane with his build up in order we're top of the table? IMHO, most definitely.

Will I be happy if he continues without scoring? No I won't.

Do I expect he'll score more goals? Yes I do.

Thats quite the interview Sabre  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:08 am

I know it looks that way :D . But if I express my point with simple grammatical structures like questions and answers, I feel more comfortable than trying to make complex english sentences that end up in a mess up that can't be understood.

So for once, I kept it gramatically simple and an interview mode is simple :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 am

Well in fairness I agree with almost all you said
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 am

maguskwt wrote:geez you ppl are as fickle as economy. I am disappointed with how Keane has started his liverpool career... but I'm not too worried about him. First of all he's got talent... he's got more talent than Kuyt. And now you guys aren't even complaining about Kuyt anymore. Second of all he's got great character. He works hard and has the right attitude. He's not a world class striker like Torres or Villa, but he's a very good striker with great character... HE WON'T BECOME A FLOP I GUARANTEE YOU THAT!

Your second point, to me at least seems to contradict the first. Your second point seems to describe Kuyt perfectly but then you could argue, and I will, that the first also applies to Kuyt. If it didnt then there would simply be no arguments.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 am

He will be good if Rafa stops deploying him as lone striker. it's just too much to ask imho.

Reina
Aberola  Cara Agger  Aurelio

SG Alonso Mash Riera

Keane
                Torres

This would be good :D
whylongball?

Postby Sarge » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:48 am

I am beginning to worry about keane. As the 20M we paid em, until now that is, the investment is definitely tanked.

I don't care at what position he's being fielded, but I for one do not rate him at all.

He's just another morientes in my book.

Prove me wrong dam.nit
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 am

john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:
maguskwt wrote:geez you ppl are as fickle as economy. I am disappointed with how Keane has started his liverpool career... but I'm not too worried about him. First of all he's got talent... he's got more talent than Kuyt. And now you guys aren't even complaining about Kuyt anymore. Second of all he's got great character. He works hard and has the right attitude. He's not a world class striker like Torres or Villa, but he's a very good striker with great character... HE WON'T BECOME A FLOP I GUARANTEE YOU THAT!

I really do hope you are right - just two words - INTER MILAN !! I know that the departure of Lippi caused problems for Keane but the bottom line was that he simply was not good enough. Ok it is early days but I am fed up with these so-called strikers taking an unacceptable period to start scoring. Crouchy took 19 matches in the prm. How long is Robbie going to take. His work rate is fine but really what are we getting for £20m at the moment in comparison to Nando who did not cost a lot more.

I like Robbie and I really do hope he finds his scoring boots because we need them. We have not won one game in a truly convincing manner this  season. We need to start destroying teams rather than winning by the odd goal.

Inter Milan?

That's an absolutely pathetic argument to throw up and is completely irrelevant here.

Keane was very young when he went to Inter and they already had half a dozen established International strikers at the club, Keane never got the chance to prove himself there.  Why you have brought that up only you will know mate.

Is it feck. If he was good enough he would have done well there. Good players can adapt. End of.

I remember watching him in pre season there. He missed 2 consecutive penatlies.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Kharhaz wrote:

Your second point, to me at least seems to contradict the first. Your second point seems to describe Kuyt perfectly but then you could argue, and I will, that the first also applies to Kuyt. If it didnt then there would simply be no arguments.

ok first of all... stop talking in riddles... unless your nick is "the riddler" in which case you can be "in character" and ppl will forgive you...  :D

second of all how does having "great character and attitude" which is my second point contradict with him having talent, which was my first point...  :glare:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:46 pm

bavlondon wrote:
john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:

I really do hope you are right - just two words - INTER MILAN !! I know that the departure of Lippi caused problems for Keane but the bottom line was that he simply was not good enough. Ok it is early days but I am fed up with these so-called strikers taking an unacceptable period to start scoring. Crouchy took 19 matches in the prm. How long is Robbie going to take. His work rate is fine but really what are we getting for £20m at the moment in comparison to Nando who did not cost a lot more.

I like Robbie and I really do hope he finds his scoring boots because we need them. We have not won one game in a truly convincing manner this  season. We need to start destroying teams rather than winning by the odd goal.

Inter Milan?

That's an absolutely pathetic argument to throw up and is completely irrelevant here.

Keane was very young when he went to Inter and they already had half a dozen established International strikers at the club, Keane never got the chance to prove himself there.  Why you have brought that up only you will know mate.

Is it feck. If he was good enough he would have done well there. Good players can adapt. End of.

John - How can you suggest it is a pathetic argument? Robbie went from Coventry who were in the premiership at that time and in his last season for Coventry he scored 12 goals in 31 games when he was aged only 19.
I don't seem to remember the premiership being an easy place to score goals in those days? He then went to Inter when he was 20 and impressed nobody with his six appearances and no goals. If he really was that good he would have proved his potential. instead he was transferred to Leeds when he was aged 21 in 2001 and he scored 9 goals in 18 appearances. The following season when Leeds finished 5th in the premiership Robbie scored 4 goals in 28 matches. Robbie was the same age as Nando at that time! I know his record for Spurs was fine but other parts of his career are littered with question marks. Perhaps another two words I can add to my argument are LEEDS UNITED! I still fully maintain that he did not develop in the way a lot of people expected him to when he was sold to INTER MILAN.

I for one seriously hope he becomes an outstanding goal scoring success for Liverpool. It is early days. He works very hard and he has most certainly contributed to Liverpool's success this season but we also need him to score goals!

Rierra for £8m seems a bargain - Robbie at £20m seems very expensive.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:54 pm

devaney wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:

Inter Milan?

John - How can you suggest it is a pathetic argument? Robbie went from Coventry who were in the premiership at that time and in his last season for Coventry he scored 12 goals in 31 games when he was aged only 19.
I don't seem to remember the premiership being an easy place to score goals in those days? He then went to Inter when he was 20 and impressed nobody with his six appearances and no goals. If he really was that good he would have proved his potential. instead he was transferred to Leeds when he was aged 21 in 2001 and he scored 9 goals in 18 appearances. The following season when Leeds finished 5th in the premiership Robbie scored 4 goals in 28 matches. Robbie was the same age as Nando at that time! I know his record for Spurs was fine but other parts of his career are littered with question marks. Perhaps another two words I can add to my argument are LEEDS UNITED! I still fully maintain that he did not develop in the way a lot of people expected him to when he was sold to INTER MILAN.

I for one seriously hope he becomes an outstanding goal scoring success for Liverpool. It is early days. He works very hard and he has most certainly contributed to Liverpool's success this season but we also need him to score goals!

oh and what happened to Thierry Henry, one of the best players to have ever graced the premiership... when he moved to barcelona? different' leagues, different dynamics altogether... Keane's spell in Inter Milan doesn't mean anything to me... what matters is what he has achieved in the premiership... and his reputation can't be faulted...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm

maguskwt wrote:
devaney wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:

Inter Milan?

oh and what happened to Thierry Henry, one of the best players to have ever graced the premiership... when he moved to barcelona? different' leagues, different dynamics altogether... Keane's spell in Inter Milan doesn't mean anything to me... what matters is what he has achieved in the premiership... and his reputation can't be faulted...

Sorry I thought Leeds United were in the premiership when Robbie was there? 4 goals in 28 matches when Leeds came 5th in the prem most certainly can be faulted! His record for Spurs is excellent. The same can't be said of his premiership record
Last edited by devaney on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:59 pm

bavlondon wrote:
john craig wrote:
devaney wrote:

Inter Milan?

You're getting awful outspoken these days you cheeky little fecker.

End of?

Why don't you stick to what you're best at - abusing our players in the match threads during games like a spoilt 5 year old.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:18 pm

We'r obviously not going to sell him in January.. Best we can do is wait till the end of the season and see if he hasnt played well then we should be looking or talking about selling him... At a loss be it !

Until then... i would be dissapointed if he doesnt start every game he's ready and fit for !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Say he's for sale in january, and then as soon as the window shuts he will be on the top of his form.  Worked with Alonso, it's worth a shot  :D
SupitsJonF

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion