Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 pm

and when i have him on my bench you're all guns blazing asking ''why did i leave our TOP SCORER on the bench'' :angry:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 pm

well lets go to that thread and you can tell me why you have left our top goalscorer this season on the bench
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 pm

why should i? i dont owe you a living.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Why don't you all settle down? Jesus!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm

owe me a living ? ! What :laugh:
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Why don't you all settle down? Jesus!

:D
Lando for Mod!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 pm

The stats are not a comment on Kuyt, they are a demonstration that Keane currently doesn't look like scoring. I'm not "Dirky boy's" biggest fan nor his biggest detractor, but for the purposes of this comparison it matters not a jot whether his shots end up in the stands, in the net or hitting the cornerflag. It doesn't matter on this occasion because it's not the point S@int is making. FWIW given his goalscoring record this season, it would take someone who is fairly blinkered to dispute that Kuyt has so far made an important contribution. Like I say though, that isn't the point so lets leave that aside here.

The point about Robbie and whether he looks like scoring holds good. Now I know we could argue (indeed Rafa does) that his work for the team is excellent, his interplay, his link up work and the like are top notch and that goals are a relatively small part of his game. Even though I mostly agree with that, I still think he needs to score goals. However good his teamwork is, he plays up front and therefore he must score a goal or two. If he plays in the majority of our Premiership matches then I suppose he must be aiming at 7 or 8 goals as a minimum, and to ask where they are going to come from is a legitimate concern.

I've often talked about this concept of strikers getting themselves open. This stat of S@ints is another angle, strikers having shots. IF to use a midfielder as an example somebody offered you odds that Frank Lampard wouldn't score a league goal in seven consecutive starts, you'd want a pretty good price before you'd consider investing any of your hard earned. Why? well he plays in a top of the league team who score freely, and he has about five shots a match at least it seems to me. I would be wanting 25/1 at least I'd think (and it might even be more than that) before I'd be getting on. If on the other hand a bloke is never getting open inside the box (which Keane currently isn't) and isn't having a shot (ditto) then it doesn't exactly fill you with hope about his future record.

The annoying thing about it from my point of view is that I really like Keane. Not sure about the fee, but I think if handled correctly he can be an excellent player for us. He needs or needed regular selection and an arm around the shoulder. My suspicion is that so far he's had neither, and unfortunately we are getting close to the point where people are going to begin to compare him as a support striker to Gerrard's high line midfielder role. Unfortunately for him, at the moment there is simply no comparison whatsoever.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:12 am

Maybe Rafa should think about sacrificing some of Gerrards freedom tolet Keane operate. Hes good enough to adapt to any position so Keane will have more freedom then.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18 am

Dont think we should sacrafice any of gerrards game - understand what your saying but think keane is good enough to adapt .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:26 am

keane looked disapointed. dont know whether Rafa is helping his confidence by taking him off on 60mins every game. he kept shaking his head in disapointment
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am

As someone on itv said last night thou he can expect that if he isnt producing the goods up front - if he starts scoring he wont come off.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Spartan1985 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:06 am

Lee J wrote:keane looked disapointed. dont know whether Rafa is helping his confidence by taking him off on 60mins every game. he kept shaking his head in disapointment

He can't really complain, he's still getting a solid 60 minutes of play each game. Really he should be doing more with it.
Spartan1985

Postby club_Levis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 am

Decent player but honestly his price tag did him a disservice as it brought him pressure. It is evident we are still short upfront. Aguerro anyone?
club_Levis

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 am

augero would be great mate . Anyone got a spare 35 mil plus ? :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 am

Couldn't afford him right now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext