Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tonyeh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 pm

So am I.
tonyeh

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Sooner or later that luck will run out. Or did it against Spurs?

The point is we didnt buy him for assists. If he isnt scoring by the end of the this month he should be benched. Then again let's see where we are come the end of the month.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 pm

The biggest problem is he's not being allowed to play his natural game, and was never going to be allowed to under a manager like Rafa.

At Spurs Keane had pretty much a free role. We are very rigid in our formations and that rarely changes throughout the team, with Gerrard being the one who can roam all over the place. Whether Keane is playing under orders is anyone's guess but for me he's not a support striker. As proved away at Athletico, he's most effective when he's the furthest striker up the pitch, but unless we play 4-4-2 he's never going to have that role ahead of Torres, and even that means dropping one of our central midfielders.

He'll never have a better chance to break his League duck than on Saturday though. West Brom's defence parts quicker than the Red Sea.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Hope so. But your right about him not being able play his normal game. Then again if he is good enough he should be able to adapt. It's the same with Benayoun also. He was at the centre at West Ham but here is is always jumping around here and there.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:It's the same with Benayoun also. He was at the centre at West Ham but here is is always jumping around here and there.

If anyone should play "in the hole" it's him. He's the best we've got in that position but ultimately we could do a lot lot better.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Just been reading some stats on Keane. Now I kno stats dont tell the whole story but they can sometimes give a glimpse of what the problem is. I think these do!!

Robbie Keane          Dirk Kuyt
League:-
Games played        11                11

TOTAL shots         11                29

SHOTS on target     3                14

Now Kuyt for all the hard work and good performances he has put in this season, is hardly a shoot on sight striker, but Keane is averaging ONE SHOT PER GAME! Is it any wonder he hasn't scored ?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby tonyeh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 pm

But how many of Kuyts shots were directly at the keeper? Also, many of Kuyt's "shots" are so far wide or above the the actual goal, that their pointless.
tonyeh

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:34 pm

I feel stats are useless in football where you are only as good as your last game.

Why has football become so focused on stats why can't we have it like the good old days you play well you stay in team you don't you get droped and have to work hard to get back in ?
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:35 pm

tonyeh wrote:But how many of Kuyts shots were directly at the keeper? Also, many of Kuyt's "shots" are so far wide or above the the actual goal, that their pointless.

You don't score unless you try and at the moment it doesn't look like Keane is trying. 3 shots on target in 11 games, one shot per game.

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:37 pm

tonyeh wrote:But how many of Kuyts shots were directly at the keeper? Also, many of Kuyt's "shots" are so far wide or above the the actual goal, that their pointless.

and how many of Kuyt's outgoing shots were deflected into the net?  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tonyeh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:39 pm

s@int wrote:

You don't score unless you try and at the moment it doesn't look like Keane is trying. 3 shots on target in 11 games, one shot per game.

Aye, I agree.

But you don't score unless you have the ball. Do we have any stats that show how much ball possession Kuyt has had and how much Keane has had?

TBH, a lot of the time, I just don't think Keane has the ball at his feet.
tonyeh

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 pm

tonyeh wrote:
s@int wrote:

Aye, I agree.

But you don't score unless you have the ball. Do we have any stats that show how much ball possession Kuyt has had and how much Keane has had?

TBH, a lot of the time, I just don't think Keane has the ball at his feet.

There is probably something in that mate , Keane has only made 214 passes while Kuyt has made 505.

However I think if you look at Kuyt last season it gives even more evidence ..... Kuyt only had one more shot on target in the WHOLE OF LAST SEASON than he has already had this season.  14 shots on target this season (11 games), 15 shots on target last season (32 games)

Keane 3 shots on target (11 games)this seaason,  last season 40 shots on target (36 games )

Postby GYBS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:47 pm

how many of kuyts shots have resulted in a goal this season - more than anyone else in the team  :rasp  :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm

GYBS wrote:

how many of kuyts shots have resulted in a goal this season - more than anyone else in the team  :rasp  :D

Jesus......what is it with you an Dirk Kuyt?    ???

As soon as his name is mentioned, even in passing, you come out of the woodwork.

God help you when he's transfered....you'll have absolutely nothing to talk about.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50 pm

whoa calm down was just a laugh hence the use of smileys .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion