Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 pm

so what if they were lucky goals . You could say they were lucky that we only scored as many as we did have other chances . Both the mancs and chelsea have scored lucky goals against and in the end they werent lucky wins . We got what we deserted .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm

GYBS wrote:so what if they were lucky goals . You could say they were lucky that we only scored as many as we did have other chances . Both the mancs and chelsea have scored lucky goals against and in the end they werent lucky wins . We got what we deserted .

Have you been reading the posts? ?????

We're talking about the lack of goal threat from Liverpool when Torres is out and the fact that there really isn't a lot of options up front for regular goals.

Liverpool can't just rely on Torres and luck for positive results, when Chelsea are getting multiple goals from multiple players.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:24 pm

how is it two wrongs mate ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 pm

1/ Spending £20million on Keane.

2/Playing Kuyt up front and expecting him to score enough goals to allow us to challenge.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:24 pm

getting keane isnt a wrong , yeah spending that much money on him was . And wasnt meaning relying on kuyt to get the goals on his own mate . If we get a right sided player like reira that gives us better options as either kuyt or keane could partner torres or kuyt could still move out right when needed as opposed to getting just owen who can just play up front . See what i mean mate . Cant see rafa getting another pure striker after spending 20 mil on keane .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Sometimes I wish Rafa would just leave things alone as the game progresses. I fail to understand his subs in the Spurs game at all and it did liverpool no good at all. Taking Keane off for Babel.........no.    :no

You're by no means the only person that's commented on this, Tony, so I'm not singling you out but...

...I find it intriguing that so many were hailing Rafa for replacing Keane with Babel on 60 minutes with us one goal up at Stamford Bridge yet less than a week later he replaces Keane with Babel on 66 minutes with us one goal up at White Hart Lane and suddenly it's a terrible decision? ???  I find that perspective hard to take seriously.

BB, Keane has with spurs for ages. the defenders would know his weaknesses but he will know theirs too. he would have been a better option to manipulate any defensive weakness compared to Babel.

You can look at it the other way around, though, Maypax.  Keane may try too hard to perform against his old club and, for a player that's already struggling for confidence, that can be problem.  Throw in the boo boys and the likelihood that he's not fully fit and I think the substitution looks plausible.  In any case, I just don't buy those that suggest that it was an obviously bad call.  It sounds like people looking for reasons to pin a fluke loss on Rafa, IMO.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Gotta to agree Bad Bob- Hindsight is great - the substituion the week before was a good one replacing keane with babel - this time it didnt work - is that more to do with babel as opposed to a bad sub.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:41 pm

At the end of the season will find out if keane was worth the price tag.. For real though he has not peaked yet with us. I really dont know how long it will take. Maybe he cant adjust to the system. Personally in all comps i think he will manage about 20 goals. We do need more firepower from other players aswel. Would be nice if alonso could pop in a few time to time. Also riera seems to have a decent shot aswel. Our player who are relied to score are gerrad and tores really. At the moment i cant include keane. dirk is doing well but he does not seem like a natural goal scorer. Also playing him wide doesnt help. A right sided attacking winger is what we need. Some one who can score and intergrate with the team.
Last edited by Madmax on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Up to the realisation that Keane probably won't suddenly turn into a goalscoring machine as soon has he got his first few goals, I would have probably agreed that we needed a rightsided player more. NOW I believe we need a goalscorer more than another rightsided player.

After all we have Kuyt who is doing well on the right at the moment, Pennant , Benayoun, not forgetting that Gerrard had a great season playing on the right. What we DON'T have is someone knocking goals in for fun, and even with Torres back unless Keane starts to get goals soon, THAT is what will cost us this season.

Why fix something that isn't broken, when you can fix something that has never worked?

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 pm

So now keep playing kuyt out right ???   

and is owen the answer ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm

s@int wrote:Up to the realisation that Keane probably won't suddenly turn into a goalscoring machine as soon has he got his first few goals, I would have probably agreed that we needed a rightsided player more. NOW I believe we need a goalscorer more than another rightsided player.

After all we have Kuyt who is doing well on the right at the moment, Pennant , Benayoun, not forgetting that Gerrard had a great season playing on the right. What we DON'T have is someone knocking goals in for fun, and even with Torres back unless Keane starts to get goals soon, THAT is what will cost us this season.

Why fix something that isn't broken, when you can fix something that has never worked?

i agree. look at Manure. they have Rooney, Tevez, Berba, Ronaldo who are all capable of individual genius at times. Chelsea has Drogba, Anelka, Cole, Lampard, etc.

i believe our team is well equipped to win the league but we are missing a goalscorer other than Torres, or Gerrard. someone who can make the impossible seem ordinary a la Luis Garcia or an opportunist striker like Owen. no matter how i dislike him, i would want him back if it means helping us clinch the title.

we're really close. just need to be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Sometimes I wish Rafa would just leave things alone as the game progresses. I fail to understand his subs in the Spurs game at all and it did liverpool no good at all. Taking Keane off for Babel.........no.    :no

You're by no means the only person that's commented on this, Tony, so I'm not singling you out but...

...I find it intriguing that so many were hailing Rafa for replacing Keane with Babel on 60 minutes with us one goal up at Stamford Bridge yet less than a week later he replaces Keane with Babel on 66 minutes with us one goal up at White Hart Lane and suddenly it's a terrible decision? ???  I find that perspective hard to take seriously.

BB, Keane has with spurs for ages. the defenders would know his weaknesses but he will know theirs too. he would have been a better option to manipulate any defensive weakness compared to Babel.

You can look at it the other way around, though, Maypax.  Keane may try too hard to perform against his old club and, for a player that's already struggling for confidence, that can be problem.  Throw in the boo boys and the likelihood that he's not fully fit and I think the substitution looks plausible.  In any case, I just don't buy those that suggest that it was an obviously bad call.  It sounds like people looking for reasons to pin a fluke loss on Rafa, IMO.

who knows, someday someone might just blame bad luck on Rafa  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Madmax » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:45 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
s@int wrote:Up to the realisation that Keane probably won't suddenly turn into a goalscoring machine as soon has he got his first few goals, I would have probably agreed that we needed a rightsided player more. NOW I believe we need a goalscorer more than another rightsided player.

i agree. look at Manure. they have Rooney, Tevez, Berba, Ronaldo who are all capable of individual genius at times. Chelsea has Drogba, Anelka, Cole, Lampard, etc.

i believe our team is well equipped to win the league but we are missing a goalscorer other than Torres, or Gerrard. someone who can make the impossible seem ordinary a la Luis Garcia or an opportunist striker like Owen. no matter how i dislike him, i would want him back if it means helping us clinch the title.

we're really close. just need to be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal.

I was actually hoping rafa would have signed some like that...ruthless infront of goal..i hope we sort something out in january and as you have aid even if that means bring back saint micheal.. with owen the only problem is keeping him fit..his become injury prone of late.. united have got berba,tevez,ronaldo and rooney.. all we have is torres and gerard at the moment who we could really rely on scoring..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Robbie Keane is out of his depth at this level. He is a good Premiership player but not good enough to play for a title chasing team. Plus, he is totally the wrong type of player for us in any case and the wrong strike partner for Torres.

At £10 million he would have been the wrong signing for us, at £20 million it’s a ridiculous signing.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 am

Harry Redknapp’s first target at Tottenham will excite supporters as much as his remarkable start as manager. Within hours of last night’s 2-1 victory over Liverpool, news emerged that Redknapp is planning to re-sign Spurs’ former captain Robbie Keane when the transfer window opens in January.

Keane’s departure to Liverpool before the start of the season dismayed fans more than Dimitar Berbatov’s higher-profile sale to Manchester United. A more popular recruit than Keane to White Hart Lane would be hard to envisage. Money is tight and the chairman, Daniel Levy, has warned that any signings made during the January transfer window need to be “self-financing” but the board will not want to refuse a manager who has transformed the team in one week.

Times online

Straight swop for Bentley ?  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion