Robbie keane - [EDIT: On His Way Back to Spurs]

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:59 pm

aCe' wrote:
tonyeh wrote:
aCe' wrote:when torres isnt available i dont think that we have many other options but to play him up there and hope for the best...
Agree about bringing him off every game not doing his confidence any good...
He's obviously got talent and while he's been struggling to prove his abilities in a red shirt, i dont think its the time to be leaving out another attacking option (limited as he may be - in any sense of the word) only to bring on another midfielder and look to change our shape and tactics...etc etc
We need as many attacking options as we can get in pretty much every game and from where im sitting, scoring or not he seems to be better than what we got bar Torres when we'r going forward.
I dont know about the stats but it sure would be interesting to compare the number of goals we'v scored when having two strikers on the pitch withe numbers when we'v only playedd one... i know it worked against chelsea and to some extent against ManUtd but still...
I think we need to start playing 2 upfront more often ..

I agree completely.

There's nobody liverpool can REALLY rely on for regular goals when Torres is out of the show. It's that simple. Keane was a strange buy for Liverpool, I have to confess. I said it before the season started and I'll say it again. Rafa bought Keane because David Villa was off the table. I shook my head in disbelief at the 20 million price tag, but there you go.

As for a single striker up top or Liverpool...that makes me wince every time I see it (even when it is Torres). I know some disagree, but I think it's a terribly negative approach, especially when they are playing "weaker" teams like Spurs. If Liverpool are serious about the title, they need to start with two up top and use those attack options for the vast majority of their games. I understand maybe strengthening the midfield at the expense of the attack for the likes of Chelsea, but in most games, no way.

Take the Spurs game for example, Kuyt (or Babel) and Keane should have started up front and probably the game would have been sown up by half time.

Sometimes I wish Rafa would just leave things alone as the game progresses. I fail to understand his subs in the Spurs game at all and it did liverpool no good at all. Taking Keane off for Babel.........no.    :no

What gets under my skin is that when we play the 4-2-3-1 we basically end up looking like a side playing 4 defenders...3 central midfielders, an out of position centerback playing down the right flank, a proper winger (now that riera is here) and a top top striker in torres...
Take torres out of that equation and we'r just a team set out to stop opposition from playing their game and trying to rely on the quality of the player we have to nick a 1-0 or 2-1 win..

Its pretty dissapointing and even depressing at times watching our players playing the weaker sides and struggling to break them down... we dont even create enough chances or look the better side without doubt in most of our games..

the tottenham game where everyone was talking about all the chances we missed and how we should have been 5-0 up byb halftime ?! if the chances we had were that good we should seriously consider selling half our lineup as theyr obviously incompetent footballer to say the least.. i know that being a liverpool supporter i probably wouldnt consider our chances to have been that great as compared to how a say tottenham supporter would see things but still... by that logic Arsenal should be winning every game and scoring double digits while doing so !

I think its time to try and go back to basics when we'r playing the smaller sides... 4-4-2 with 2 wide men and Gerrard and Alonso in the middle and two out and out strikers... Our defense is pretty solid to say the least and going forward against such sides we'd always be expected to score more than they do... wouldnt mind seeing more 4-2s as opposed to 1-0s cause ultimately once you get your strikers going and scoring goals its alot easier to try and stitch up the defensive errors..

The whole chelsea playing a lone striker discussion is a whole different issue... chelsea have better playerxs than we do in every department... Hell id even go as far as saying that the only player in our side who would actually impove their team is probably Torres... Gerrard less so but Torres with chelsea would be scary to even think about...
Chelsea do set up in a very familiar 4-2-3-1 (4-1-3-1-1 or whatever you wanna call it) but the difference is that they have Deco, Lampard, Essien, Ballack , Mikel who fill out the central positions.. every single one of those players (maybe Mikel less so with the role he's given) is a goal threat and contributes to the teams attacking play...
We have Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano, Lucas too... Of the 4 Gerrard is the only one who goes forward and has any sort of impact on our direct attacking play...
We'r very limited in many ways and our movement off the ball leaves alot to be admired...Our central players (Alonso and Masherano more so) never seem to be up for the pass and try to take a better position higher up plays and seem satisfied with playing the pass and sticking to their positions... this is mainly why we struggle to break down weaker sides... You never see the Arsenals, ManUtds, and Chelseas doing that...
Too predictable at times and very much lacking in flair and creativity from the central areas... if we wanna keep playing this way i think that playing Pennant and Riera down the flanks is a must ... 2 players upfront is a must.. can see us dropping more and more points against the smaller sides if we persist with our negative tactics and setups.

You're correct. Liverpool are very weak at times and I think the Spurs game has washed off some of the glamour that the wins over Chelsea and Utd have put on some people.

Honestly, I had some conversations with Liverpool fans saying that they were going to win the league based on the Utd result!!!

Truly amazing when you consider the silly goals that won the game for Liverpool, one of which was an OG. Likewise the win over Chelsea came from a lucky deflection.

Take the luck involved in those goals out of the equasion and those games are a loss to Utd and a draw with Chelsea.

Again, I agree about the quality issue regarding Chelsea's midfield and their decision to one striker up front. I posted pretty much the same thing about a week ago. But another thing Chelsea have in their favour is that their players are given free reign to roam the pitch. They are a more fluid team than Liverpool and that's that.

It's a seriious time for Liverpool at the moment and the loss at the weekend has compounded that. As well as Chelsea being top again, Utd are finding form and are only a few points behind, with a game in hand.

People going on about not slitting wrists, because it was only one game nad it happens blah blah. The point is, it was a CRUCIAL game for Liverpool to win to consolidate the gap between the biggest threats to getting the title this year.
tonyeh

Postby Bam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:20 pm

You're correct. Liverpool are very weak at times and I think the Spurs game has washed off some of the glamour that the wins over Chelsea and Utd have put on some people.

Honestly, I had some conversations with Liverpool fans saying that they were going to win the league based on the Utd result!!!

Truly amazing when you consider the silly goals that won the game for Liverpool, one of which was an OG. Likewise the win over Chelsea came from a lucky deflection.

Take the luck involved in those goals out of the equasion and those games are a loss to Utd and a draw with Chelsea.

Kin ell you sound like a bitter !

Do you think Manchester United were complaining when they've often come to Anfield and won by an flukey goal or two. O'Shea, Carra own goals. Even Chelsea last season, they've had their fair share of luck against us to.

Teams need luck FFS, I bet you didnt complain about the dubious L.Garcia against Chelsea in the SF. When we went on to win the CL. Or did you, did you not think an element (albeit a small bit) of luck played its part from 3-0 down in Istanbul ? I bet you didnt complain about luck then.

Tonyeh, the more academic version of Lakes.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby DanAn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:23 pm

tonyeh wrote:You're correct. Liverpool are very weak at times and I think the Spurs game has washed off some of the glamour that the wins over Chelsea and Utd have put on some people.

Again, I agree about the quality issue regarding Chelsea's midfield and their decision to one striker up front. I posted pretty much the same thing about a week ago. But another thing Chelsea have in their favour is that their players are given free reign to roam the pitch. They are a more fluid team than Liverpool and that's that.

It's a seriious time for Liverpool at the moment and the loss at the weekend has compounded that. As well as Chelsea being top again, Utd are finding form and are only a few points behind, with a game in hand.

People going on about not slitting wrists, because it was only one game nad it happens blah blah. The point is, it was a CRUCIAL game for Liverpool to win to consolidate the gap between the biggest threats to getting the title this year.

We outplayed both ManU and Chelsea regardless of if you deem the goals to be lucky.

and how was the Tottenham game a crucial game? As far as league games go it was not crucial at all. Probably one of the least crucial games we will play all year.
Last edited by DanAn on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanAn

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Bam wrote:

Do you think Manchester United were complaining when they've often come to Anfield and won by an flukey goal or two. O'Shea, Carra own goals. Even Chelsea last season, they've had their fair share of luck against us to.

Teams need luck FFS, I bet you didnt complain about the dubious L.Garcia against Chelsea in the SF. When we went on to win the CL. Or did you, did you not think an element (albeit a small bit) of luck played its part from 3-0 down in Istanbul ? I bet you didnt complain about luck then.

Don't talk :censored:.

I don't give damn what lucky goals Man Utd or Chelsea have got over the years. The fact is, is that they have always been a threat up front.

Liverpool have shown that they are not at times.

Yes luck can play a part, but isn't that what i am saying?

Luck played a huge part in the results against Man Utd and Chelsea.

But you can't rely on luck.
tonyeh

Postby Bam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:38 pm

tonyeh wrote:
Bam wrote:

I don't give damn what lucky goals Man Utd or Chelsea have got over the years. The fact is, is that they have always been a threat up front.

I'm not talking :censored:.

What about our CL run, the Gerrard goal against the Greeks, the Garcia goal, the final.

Luck plays its part, United get it, Chelsea get it. We get the rub of the green and your on here whinging about it.

Stop being a morbid fecker !

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:39 pm

DanAn wrote:
tonyeh wrote:You're correct. Liverpool are very weak at times and I think the Spurs game has washed off some of the glamour that the wins over Chelsea and Utd have put on some people.

We outplayed both ManU and Chelsea regardless of if you deem the goals to be lucky.

and how was the Tottenham game a crucial game? As far as league games go it was not crucial at all. Probably one of the least crucial games we will play all year.

It doesn't matter a jot if Liverpool outplayed Utd or Chelsea. What won the games were lucky goals. We outplayed Spurs and still lost. That could have happened against Utd and Chelsea.

The fact is, as I've said, is that Liverpool can be very weak up front, when Torres is out of the side.

Also, The Spurs game was crucial because it was part of a lineup of games that should have provided Liverpool with a series of "easy" wins and most importantly in keeping the lead against a very stong Chelsea side (with a huge GD) and Man Utd, who are creeping up.

Every loss against the so called weaker sides is crucial, when Chelsea are playing they way they are.
tonyeh

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Bam wrote:
tonyeh wrote:
Bam wrote:

I'm not talking :censored:.

What about our CL run, the Gerrard goal against the Greeks, the Garcia goal, the final.

Luck plays its part, United get it, Chelsea get it. We get the rub of the green and your on here whinging about it.

Stop being a morbid fecker !

It's not morbid.

It's a realistic assessment of the games and the issues that face the team.
tonyeh

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:57 pm

there was nothing lucky about our first goal against man u. it was an own goal - fk all to do with luck. and as for our 2nd, it was a good pass and a well exectued shot on goal which resulted in the ball going in the back of the net - end off.

back on topic though - Keane is a Liverpool player and whenever he pulls that red shirt on for the club he'll get my support 100%. He grafts hard. support the man, the goals may come along soon, they also may not but so what? he's an asset to the club.
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:04 pm

As far as I remember, Babel mis-kicked the ball.

As for first goal, it was lucky in as much as it was an OG.

Lucky goals....end of :D
tonyeh

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm

I think the point is that with or without Torres we need another player getting goals. Keane at the moment doesn't look like he is going to get many, I really wouldn't like to COUNT on Kuyt to keep on scoring, so who else is there? Gerrard will get goals if played further forward , but obviously not as many if played in CM. Riera doesn't strike me as a 10 goal a season winger, and our midfield (Alonso and Masch)will be lucky to get 6 between them.

Short term I would play Gerrard behind Torres and look to sign Owen at Christmas.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 pm

we werent lucky to beat both chelsea or the mancs . We outplayed both of them and got the results we deserved .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 pm

This is the Robbie Keane thread .... not the lucky as fk thread :D

Postby tonyeh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm

GYBS wrote:we werent lucky to beat both chelsea or the mancs . We outplayed both of them and got the results we deserved .

They were LUCKY goals.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm

and are we really going to right 20mil spent on keane by getting owen in jan ? Surely any money spent in jan should be on a right sided player as kuyt showing he can play through the middle and get goals .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 pm

GYBS wrote:and are we really going to right 20mil spent on keane by getting owen in jan ? Surely any money spent in jan should be on a right sided player as kuyt showing he can play through the middle and get goals .

Two wrongs don't make a right

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion