Robbie fowler - Simple question

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Regardless of who we sign this summer, and presuming that Robbie gets a full pre-season under his belt, should he start up front in our first League game of next season against Sheffield United?

Whatever anyone says, at the moment he's still our best striker/goalscorer, and his form towards the end of last season, merits inclusion straight away at the beginning of '06/07 in many people's eyes (apart from 7-kewell) :D

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 pm

I remember the old days when new players automatically spent the first few weeks in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way out of the spotlight.  It also taught them that the club was bigger than any player.  However, I can see it being Crouch and Bellamy as the first choice right from the start of the season.  We've got a couple of games before that, so maybe that'll give us a clue.  Rafa tends to use different formations depending on the opposition too, so maybe they'll only be one up front against Sheff Utd...surely not!
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:38 pm

I hope Robbie has a great preseason and earns a starting place because to be honest hes the only forward we have who can score 20+ goals next season. If Gonzales is as good as we all hope, the lack of pace playing Crouch and Robbie up front wont be such a problem and Bellamy could always play on the right if we cant sign a right sided player. (Wouldnt like to have to tell Bellamy that tho') I think there will be a fair amount of rotation next season,(horses for courses) and at least now we will have players who can make a real impact when coming on as subs.
account deleted by request

Postby flipmode » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:05 pm

I think that he will be penciled to start already, but it all depends on pre season and who we buy, i also feel it will be Crouch and Bellamy to start though
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:19 pm

Yeah Bellamy and fowler to start for me currently, unless we sign another striker this summer
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Mark 23 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I don't see why not
Mark 23

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:47 pm

2520years wrote:I remember the old days when new players automatically spent the first few weeks in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way out of the spotlight.  It also taught them that the club was bigger than any player.  However, I can see it being Crouch and Bellamy as the first choice right from the start of the season.  We've got a couple of games before that, so maybe that'll give us a clue.  Rafa tends to use different formations depending on the opposition too, so maybe they'll only be one up front against Sheff Utd...surely not!
:)

They would spend the first few years in the reserves, and learn their trade befroe inclusion in the first team squad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:48 pm

s@int wrote:I hope Robbie has a great preseason and earns a starting place because to be honest hes the only forward we have who can score 20+ goals next season. If Gonzales is as good as we all hope, the lack of pace playing Crouch and Robbie up front wont be such a problem and Bellamy could always play on the right if we cant sign a right sided player. (Wouldnt like to have to tell Bellamy that tho') I think there will be a fair amount of rotation next season,(horses for courses) and at least now we will have players who can make a real impact when coming on as subs.

I will be willing to wager that Bellamy scores 20 or more next season, and Robbie more like 10-15.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:13 pm

s@int wrote:I hope Robbie has a great preseason and earns a starting place because to be honest hes the only forward we have who can score 20+ goals next season. If Gonzales is as good as we all hope, the lack of pace playing Crouch and Robbie up front wont be such a problem and Bellamy could always play on the right if we cant sign a right sided player. (Wouldnt like to have to tell Bellamy that tho') I think there will be a fair amount of rotation next season,(horses for courses) and at least now we will have players who can make a real impact when coming on as subs.

Robbie won't score more than 15 goals max next season. I really can't see him breaking into the 20 goals boundary, but you never know he might surprise people. And Robbie and Crouch up front could well work, altho the safest bet would be Bellamy & Crouch or Bellamy & Fowler. And play Bellamy on the right are you mad in the head? A) We won't need to play Bellamy there as Gerrard is competent playing in that position. B) It can't be that hard to sign a right sided player surely? I'd sign Jermaine Pennant and get it over and done with and then look to sign another striker if we can.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 pm

I guess the forward line will be chopped and changed depending on the opposition.  As it stands though, unless we make another buy in the striking department, I see Crouch and Bellamy as being the main partnership who are more likely to start in the big games.

However with a good pre-season, Fowler could well be a very important player too next season.  I can see the goals being shared around a lot next year again between the strikers and the likes of Gerrard.  I'm still not convinced any of the strikers will break the 20 mark in the league, although I think in all competitions Bellamy is the one who'd be the most likely.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:44 pm

I'd still have Fowler ahead of Bellamy in the pecking order, although my guess is that Rafa won't.

I do think, however, that whoever ends up being our second purchase for the forward line will end up being a first choice pick, and that Fowler and Bellamy will start next season on the bench trying to break into the first 11.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:47 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I'd still have Fowler ahead of Bellamy in the pecking order, although my guess is that Rafa won't.

I do think, however, that whoever ends up being our second purchase for the forward line will end up being a first choice pick, and that Fowler and Bellamy will start next season on the bench trying to break into the first 11.

Interesting that mate cos i think Bellamy is a nailed on starter for the first game no matter who we sign.
He is the ideal player for away games when we will probably play more of a counter attacking game.
Robbie imo will be a very handy sub and sometime starter, we would have to be signing someone pretty decent to prevent Crouch and Bellamy starting the Sheffield united game.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:51 pm

0asis wrote:

Robbie won't score more than 15 goals max next season. I really can't see him breaking into the 20 goals boundary, but you never know he might surprise people. And Robbie and Crouch up front could well work, altho the safest bet would be Bellamy & Crouch or Bellamy & Fowler. And play Bellamy on the right are you mad in the head? A) We won't need to play Bellamy there as Gerrard is competent playing in that position. B) It can't be that hard to sign a right sided player surely? I'd sign Jermaine Pennant and get it over and done with and then look to sign another striker if we can.

It cant be that hard to sign a Right sided player! are you off your trolly? Rafa has been trying for 2 years to get one.You know the list of players hes tried for so I wont name them all. Everyone knows we are after a right winger/midfielder so they are all trying to rip us off. Gerrard will have to play in the centre more this season as we wont have Hamann to cover for injuries /suspensions and given the choice between Kromkamp or Bellamy on the right I would choose Bellamy.
        I hope we sign a right sided player but we also need a target man who scores goals just as much, as I dont see Bellamy and Fowler playing together much at all. It's much more likely to be Bellamy and Crouch or Fowler and Crouch.
account deleted by request

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:57 pm

I think so.  I'm sure he's raring to go. With a full pre season, his sharpness will be back. I see goal, goals and more goals form Robbie.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Good Bob » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Fowler is one of the best players in the squad and is certainly the most technically gifted and intelligent player in there.

Class act and i'd play him every game he's fit. Fowler and Bellamy to start next season.

Sounds very promising to me.
Good Bob

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion