Robbie fowler - Simple question

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jkop » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:58 pm

i agree with bad bob the pace of bellamy and the experience of fowler with lurch on the bench to back them up.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:05 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
LFCFan4Life wrote:
I dont think kuyt is that man?.

Let me guess, and I'm only guessing.

You saw him play for Holland during the World Cup. He played poorely and you're having doubts about him as a player despite not seeing him play for Feyenoord prior to that.

Because of that you don't think he's the answer. Even though he only started one game up front as the center striker, and the other as a winger. A system in the national team that clear wasn't worked on with this current squad, even Van Nistelrooy couldn't get the hang of it.

Are my assumptions correct?

Wrong on both accounts!....I spent some time in holland (working) last season and was able to attend some of the feyenoord home games and from what i saw of kuyt...he would struggle to adapt to our league. Also the dutch league is played at a more slower pace than ours and although kuyt had a few decent games he was never prolific...does that answer your question? ???

Kuyt was never prolific?
# 03-04 Feyenoord 34 matches, 20 goals
# 04-05 Feyenoord 34 matches, 29 goals
# 05-06 Feyenoord 33 matches, 22 goals

Seeing him a few games hardly does justice to him as a player. Our scouts have scouted him for the past two years and seen his worst and his best days.

I don't think we would be after Kuyt if our reports of him weren't good. Nothing personal but I'll take Rafa and the rest of the staff's word over yours.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:07 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
LFCFan4Life wrote:

You saw him play for Holland during the World Cup. He played poorely and you're having doubts about him as a player despite not seeing him play for Feyenoord prior to that.

Because of that you don't think he's the answer. Even though he only started one game up front as the center striker, and the other as a winger. A system in the national team that clear wasn't worked on with this current squad, even Van Nistelrooy couldn't get the hang of it.

Wrong on both accounts!....I spent some time in holland (working) last season and was able to attend some of the feyenoord home games and from what i saw of kuyt...he would struggle to adapt to our league. Also the dutch league is played at a more slower pace than ours and although kuyt had a few decent games he was never prolific...does that answer your question? ???

If you have seen him play live then you are in a far better position than me to judge him.
But his record actually is prolific, the last three seasons he has had a record that is better than 1 in 2 games, i posted his stats in another thread and dont like to use stats really, but seeing as though you said he hasnt been prolific.....here goes.....

02-03 FC Utrecht 34 matches, 20 goals
03-04 Feyenoord 34 matches, 20 goals
04-05 Feyenoord 34 matches, 29 goals
05-06 Feyenoord 33 matches, 22 goals

Thats not to say he would be a success here, but it is a fantastic 4 seasons for the lad.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:13 pm

LFCFan4Life wrote:nothing personal
REDTILLDEAD wrote:
LFCFan4Life wrote:

Kuyt was never prolific?
# 03-04 Feyenoord 34 matches, 20 goals
# 04-05 Feyenoord 34 matches, 29 goals
# 05-06 Feyenoord 33 matches, 22 goals

Seeing him a few games hardly does justice to him as a player. Our scouts have scouted him for the past two years and seen his worst and his best days.

I don't think we would be after Kuyt if our reports of him weren't good. Nothing personal but I'll take Rafa and the rest of the staff's word over yours.

Thats your preogative..but seeing as i have been in a better position to judge him than you...i can say that in my veiw the money would better spent elsewhere...... nothing personal :eyebrow
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:35 am

Just a question, people:

Is Dirk Kuyt similar to Mista, the striker Benitez deployed at Valencia?

If he is, then it would go some way to explaining Rafa's interest, regardless of anyone's opinion.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:04 am

Didnt Mista sign for someone today?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Just a question, people:

Is Dirk Kuyt similar to Mista, the striker Benitez deployed at Valencia?

If he is, then it would go some way to explaining Rafa's interest, regardless of anyone's opinion.

No, Lando. Mista was an understudy to Benitez at previous clubs, and he was never prolific. The only time he scored in double figures was when Valencia won the league the first time under Rafa.[he scored 20 goals then].

Kuyt is a bit bigger than Mista, and he's more prolific. I think he can hold up the ball much better than Mista did.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby marcus.c » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 am

Robbie is not only a natural goal scorer but his assists is top class as well. He has the natural instinct on when to pass the ball, definately better then crouch. Crouch can hold onto the ball but when it comes to the crucial part, when he needs to let go the ball or shoot, he still need more coaching, more time. In short, he lack the instinct which Robbie has.

For me, it is Robbie to start, no question.
marcus.c

Postby matt_evans2006 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 am

Personally I don't believe Kuyt is the player we need at the moment. Yes i only saw him in the world cup but isn't that where the world cup brings out the best in players and shows who really are the best. A player like trezaguet would complete our jig-saw for sure. He's a proven goalscorer for argubly the best footballing club.
matt_evans2006

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 am

matt_evans2006 wrote:Yes i only saw him in the world cup but isn't that where the world cup brings out the best in players and shows who really are the best.

Diouf, Diao!?!?!?!?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flipmode » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 am

adamnbarrett wrote:
matt_evans2006 wrote:Yes i only saw him in the world cup but isn't that where the world cup brings out the best in players and shows who really are the best.

Diouf, Diao!?!?!?!?

Number one Kuyt was put on the wing most of it, also look at Fat Frank, Rooney etc, :censored: at world cup and look what they do in the League, but saying that i hope Fat Frank world cup form carries on  :D
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Hero Fowler lands role as Kop mentor Jul 28 2006

By Chris Bascombe With The Reds In Switzerland, Liverpool Echo

ROBBIE FOWLER was today handed the role as 'mentor' for Liverpool's new boys.

Rafa Benitez sees his experienced striker proving an inspirational figure on and off the pitch in the season ahead.

The Anfield boss says Fowler has a presence at the club which will be channelled to positive effect on recruits such as Craig Bellamy and Jermaine Pennant.

And with the Reds' 'new' number nine already showing glimpses of his class in the opening pre-season games, the wisdom of keeping the 31-year-old for another season is already evident.

"When we signed Craig Bellamy and Jermaine Pennant, both mentioned how Robbie was a player they loved watching for Liverpool when they were younger," said Benitez. "He is someone they look up to.

"With Robbie, we have a player at the club who is already a legend for the supporters and some of the players, and that can be a positive influence, particularly on the youngsters we have here.

"They look up to Robbie and admire him and he will enjoy helping them as much as possible."

Fowler has looked sharp in the first two friendlies of the pre-season, turning creator for both Bellamy and Craig Lindfield to hit the goal trail.

He'll be hoping to maintain his form in tomorrow's clash with Kaiserslautern, in a game where Jermaine Pennant is expected to make his debut.

"Robbie has played very good games so far," said Benitez.

"His movement and work for his team-mates have been really good. He is still trying really hard in training and working with Pako (Ayesteran). He knows there is still work to be done on his fitness, but we're happy with him."

good lad robbie, keep the bad boys in check

:D

great for robbie though, he must really feel as proud as punch. and he deserves it to be so warmly thought of. lets look forward to seeing him back in his old shirt weaving that old magic..... :bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm

Ciggy wrote:I am also a bit curious as to what role Garcia is going to play for us this season?
He is to good to be a squad player and I know we have ex amount of games, I just hope he features more this season more than he did last.

I think he is one of our best players, (I know he gives the ball away) bla bla.
But he is our little gem and I predict that he will shine like a diamond this season.

Fair point Cig.

But you're right its almost as if he's been forgotten, where does he fit in here? Every forward position has 2 quality players (providing Kuyt comes in). The thing is though Rafa will at least have him on the bench for every game because he can create something out of nothing and he's incredibly versatile.

Personally I can see him being used far more frequently at home than away. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gerrard rested for more games than most fans would expect.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

I admit my ignorance of dutch club football :blush:  and I am solely basing my view on the world cup.

But he did seem slow and a very poor finisher. Looked out of his depth for me. Even Cisse could score a lot of goals in a lower standard league.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:33 pm

matt_evans2006 wrote:Personally I don't believe Kuyt is the player we need at the moment. Yes i only saw him in the world cup but isn't that where the world cup brings out the best in players and shows who really are the best. A player like trezaguet would complete our jig-saw for sure. He's a proven goalscorer for argubly the best footballing club.

By that logic, we'd want no part of Trezeguet either.  The guy had such an indifferent World Cup that he spent most of it on the bench!  When he did play, he had no impact (unless you count his penalty striking the bar, of course  :D ).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion