Robbie fowler and new contract

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:00 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:I would prefer him to stay at the club and train the youth players as strikers.

I like that idea ... make him like mentor to the younger liverpool ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:48 am

Trouble is, he's already said he doesn't know how he does it.

I vote we play him regularly and then Rafa WILL keep him for another year. :;):

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:37 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:I would prefer him to stay at the club and train the youth players as strikers.

I think Robbie's talent was one of those that players are "born with" - doubt it can be trained.

Keeping him on as coach or whatever is just being sentimental.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:45 am

Just because someone is good at something, it doesnt mean that they can teach it.  But the players seem to have a very high opinion of him and think that his value is still having a positive influence on the team.  Maybe he will have a role if he is not offered an extension at the end of the year.  At the end of the day he will always be remembered as God by the fans.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:25 am

It pains me to say it but make sure your there on the last day of the season V Charlton because that will be Robbies last ever performance for Liverpool Football Club. His age and his injuries have took there toll and the games totally different from the 90's, sure he can score goals, it Robbie but the modern game demands so much more and sadly Robbie aint going to cut it.

Robbie Fowler is a true legend in my book. I'll tell my children and my grandchildren all about him when there growing up at the Coca Coca Anfield Stadium. I'll point to the day he burst onto the scene with a hatrick against Fulham, his goals V Man Utd when he outshone Eric Cantona, his wonderful goal against Birmingham in the League Cup, his winner against Newcastle in the second 4 - 3, checking his "imaginary" watch with Macca, his doCKers tee shirt, his 100th goal, his diving header against Man City when he first sported the blonde locks. His comeback game and the goal that never was against Birmingham, his eventual goal against Fulham, his UEFA Cup Final goal against Alaves, his 10 minute hatrick against Arsenal, his honesty and subsequent penalty miss when he told the ref Seaman didn't foul him, when he cheekliy took Didi's freekick against Wycombe and scored, covering Ruddock in Champagne while he was trying to conduct an interview, the heartbreak of his injury against Everton, his comeback, his freezing out by Houllier, the dark day he left for Leeds, his 4 fingered salute to the United fans, the europhia of his 2nd coming at Anfield and those derby goals!

Robbie Fowler is loved by me and each and every true Liverpool fan. A great man once said about the Kop -

"I'm just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It's a kind of marriage of people who like each other"

And he was right. Fowler also falls into the catergory. Fans might not know why they love him, they just do. He's one of us all, his highs, his lows, his heroics, his tradgedies. We've all felt them with Robbie, not for him, WITH HIM.

He is probably and will forever be my favourite ever football player and I will probably cry when it is all finally over. He brought so much joy to me as a kid and made me proud to be a Liverpool fan. Its sad to say but there will never be another like him. Ever.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:11 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:It pains me to say it but make sure your there on the last day of the season V Charlton because that will be Robbies last ever performance for Liverpool Football Club. His age and his injuries have took there toll and the games totally different from the 90's, sure he can score goals, it Robbie but the modern game demands so much more and sadly Robbie aint going to cut it.

Robbie Fowler is a true legend in my book. I'll tell my children and my grandchildren all about him when there growing up at the Coca Coca Anfield Stadium. I'll point to the day he burst onto the scene with a hatrick against Fulham, his goals V Man Utd when he outshone Eric Cantona, his wonderful goal against Birmingham in the League Cup, his winner against Newcastle in the second 4 - 3, checking his "imaginary" watch with Macca, his doCKers tee shirt, his 100th goal, his diving header against Man City when he first sported the blonde locks. His comeback game and the goal that never was against Birmingham, his eventual goal against Fulham, his UEFA Cup Final goal against Alaves, his 10 minute hatrick against Arsenal, his honesty and subsequent penalty miss when he told the ref Seaman didn't foul him, when he cheekliy took Didi's freekick against Wycombe and scored, covering Ruddock in Champagne while he was trying to conduct an interview, the heartbreak of his injury against Everton, his comeback, his freezing out by Houllier, the dark day he left for Leeds, his 4 fingered salute to the United fans, the europhia of his 2nd coming at Anfield and those derby goals!

Robbie Fowler is loved by me and each and every true Liverpool fan. A great man once said about the Kop -

"I'm just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It's a kind of marriage of people who like each other"

And he was right. Fowler also falls into the catergory. Fans might not know why they love him, they just do. He's one of us all, his highs, his lows, his heroics, his tradgedies. We've all felt them with Robbie, not for him, WITH HIM.

He is probably and will forever be my favourite ever football player and I will probably cry when it is all finally over. He brought so much joy to me as a kid and made me proud to be a Liverpool fan. Its sad to say but there will never be another like him. Ever.

That is a ramarkable post on our great God the legend ROBBIE FOWLER!!

hats off to you Rafa Dodd!! you put it so trully.   :bowdown
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:15 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:It pains me to say it but make sure your there on the last day of the season V Charlton because that will be Robbies last ever performance for Liverpool Football Club. His age and his injuries have took there toll and the games totally different from the 90's, sure he can score goals, it Robbie but the modern game demands so much more and sadly Robbie aint going to cut it.

:down:  :buttrock  :bowdown
Elchris

Postby Marianne » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:09 pm

He only plays the way he can at liverpool-he was born to play here! We got to keep the guy!
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:48 pm

So far this season, that slow old knacker Robbie Fowler has seven goals in seven starts. If Voronin produces that kind of consistency, I will eat my own :censored:. I think Rafa wanted Voronin as much for his alternative position at RM as for his qualities as a striker. He may be an international in the peak years of his career but, for example, so is Richard Dunne - should we sign him to strengthen our back line too?

Voronin's career has hardly been stellar during it's first ten years - I'm hoping for the best, but I'm having a hard time believing that he's been signed to do anything more than make up the numbers. I'd definitely give Robbie another season, assuming that his contractual demands would be reasonable and look to involve him in the coaching side of things, if he wanted to go down that route.

To be honest though, I've never really imagined that Robbie would get involved in the backroom stuff - the scope of his business interests outside of football suggest someone who will end his formal involvement with the game once his playing career is over. I'm also not convinced that he'd be the experienced, understanding yet firm hand that our younger players need to guide them. OK, as an advisor regarding certain aspects of the game, I can see he'd have a lot to offer, but does he really have the discipline to be working with impressionable young players week in, week out?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Doddy great post lad, i am just a couple of years older than you so can remember the great teams with Aldo Beardsley Barnes and Houghton and Rushie's return, but i was that young then and didnt realise the barren times ahead, and maybe as a kid took things a bit for granted.
We suffered in the 90's when i was in my teens just starting to get the proper football bug and the passion that takes over your whole life.
Robbie was the spark that stopped a mediocre/poor 90's becoming a disatrous decade where the club could of slipped into the lower mid table type...like Aston Villa and dare i say Everton.
A phenomenal goal scorer who plays with a passion that if you could bottle and sell to others you would be a millionaire.

I was gutted when he was sold off without a proper sendoff, although at that time it was good business, and i thank Rafa for bringing him back, it wasnt just about sentiment, Rafa knew that Robbie has the ability to score crucial goals in games with few chances and he did just that.

But our manager does demand more from his strikers, he does want someone who will hassle the back 4 for 90 minutes and run themselves into the ground, its not Robbies game and nor should it be...some strikers are just goalscorers and thats the most important and difficult part of the game.

I would love him to get another 12 months, his goals to games ratio is still unbelievable and his wages arent meant to e over the top.
Obvioulsy he would have to be told that he would only be used sparingly but as he has always said he doesnt want to play for anyone else anyway.

If your one down and need a goal in a tight game......who ya gonna call ?  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:53 pm

i've gone all sentimental now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgpIqyvVy4w

:bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 83-1171708240 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:52 pm

I think most Liverpool fans want Robbie to remain here for sentimental reasons, I too would like him to stay as a coach or taking up another role in and around the club, but I don’t want Rafa to keep him on as a player next season. Robbie has been one of my few football idols who I looked up to as a young chap playing football down my local park, but there comes a time when all players must step down and Robbie’s time is almost upon us. I think we need to find someone younger, but of a similar mould, someone who can score consistently, someone who is a poacher, I think we can find one and one who can play week in week out, which is probably the main reason I urge Fowler to hang up his boots, he doesn’t deserve to be a bit part player and that is all he is and I wouldn’t want him to be playing in League two like Paul Ince did. It’s time to move on, but what I’m worried about most is that will Rafa sign someone who has a natural ability to place the ball in the back of the net, this new signing from Germany seems to be a bit like Kuyt from what I’ve seen and he hasn’t been to consistent in front of goal either. We cannot hope to win the Premiership with four or five horse working strikers who run around all match, but don’t convert chances, I’d much rather we had a mix of different strikers, one work horse, one beanpole, one super quick player like Bellamy and one goal poacher.
83-1171708240

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Top, top post that Rafa mate, made me go mistyeyed remembering our GOD.  :bowdown
account deleted by request

Postby barnesrush » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm

we need to keep fowler. its so valuable to have a player who is happy to take a backseat without causing any fuss and can still do a good job when called upon. despite not playing, which is obviously going to affect his sharpness, hes getting the goals and the assists which are what his game is all about.

the kind of games that he should be playing in (when teams are likely to sit back at anfield) are exactly the type of games where we can afford our strikers to be more goal focussed instead of hassling defenders as we will generally have a greater presence in the opponents half.

id like to see more of fowler playing with our best link man (kuyt in my opinion) as these 2 havent played much together and weve all been saying that next season our strikeforce should be kuyt and a natural goalscorer, well who better than robbie when theres not much space for bellamys pace. the amount of work kuyt gets through, robbie can take a breather!

anybody who saw his performance against reading in the carling cup knows how dangerous he can be when given the chance as his clever touches and passes were the highlight of a game of great forward play, if not great defending. for me the only difference between robbie now and sheringham later in his career is that teddy got more chances to show what he could still do.

im completely blinded by faith in god i know, but i still feel he is a good enough finisher and perceptive enough provider that even without pace he is worthy of about 5-10 more starts per season than hes had this time, and at least 25 mins in most games when we are desperate for a goal.

lets hope it doesnt come to this next tuesday, but if he has to come on to change the game, if barca are in front and sat deep, who wouldnt back him to score or provide the killer pass or flick that is even more vital with the loss of garcia.

ps top post doddy emotional stuff  :bowdown
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby barnesrush » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 pm

who says hes lost all his pace!!

fowler v reading
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion