Robbie fowler - 1 YEAR CONTRACT TO BE SIGNED NEXT WEEK

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:36 pm

As much as I love the guy and as much as I still think he has a great deal to offer this football club, I've just got this hoorible feeling that after building all our hopes up, Robbie won't get a contract afterall.

There, I've said it. I hope I'm wrong on this. A few weeks ago I would have said it was almost nailed on but there's something very unconvincing in Rafa's body language when disussing the prodigal son..

I think we'll bring in two strikers in the Summer, two 20-25 year olds with pace who can score goals, or maybe one goal scorer and one creative playmaker. Cisse will leave, Morientes also, and Fowler will be following.

Don't forget, if we buy a right winger then that gives us Stevie and Luis as options for the attacking midfield role, not to mention Kewell who seems to be in favour with Rafa, despite the iminent arrival of Gonzalez.

All in all there's going to be a hell of a lot of options in attack even if we only bring in a right winger and a striker.

Last Summer was seemingly about evolution. About tweeking the solid backbone we have with the arrival of a spine in Reina, Sissoko and (even if only temporarily) Crouch. This Summer in attack I see it being about revolution, with a fair few of our "attacking options" moving on to sunnier climbs.

No room for sentiment in this game, we've been there too many times before with players. Not that that's a slight on Robbie, I'll be delighted if he stays, he's so far showed he deserves it. If I was a betting man though I know which way I'd bet right now. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:12 pm

It's going to boil down to one thing and one thing only.  Fitness.  Fowler has shown he can still get goals.  He now needs to show that he will be able to play 90 mins for 30-40 a season.  I know people on here say Fowler could be a 'super sub' type player, but (judging from Rafa's comments) he wants to have to option to play anyone in his team for however long he likes.  It might be 10 mins, or it might be 90.  Next season is going to be a big one for LFC and Rafa knows it.  If we're going to have a stab at the title, we're going to need ALL our players at the top of their game, especially our strikers.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:05 pm

robbie should stay on in whaterver capacity he can be a good influence to the squad from...whether thats on the pitch as back-up or in the dressing room set up. i believe he still has much to offer and for one think he deserves another contract.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:55 am

Robbie Fowler admits he is still in the dark as to his future, but believes he has the qualities to help Liverpool next season.

Fowler made a surprise return to Anfield during the January transfer window and his form has steadily improved over the course of the last five months.

Reds chief Rafa Benitez only handed Fowler a short-term contract, with the Spanish tactician challenging the striker to prove himself worthy of a longer stay.

The 31-year-old has responded with a number of decent efforts, but does not know if he has played his final game in Reds colours in front of his adoring Anfield fans.

"It was a touching moment for me when the fans were chanting my name at the end of the game, but I hope they don't think it was a send-off for me," Fowler said of the recent win over Aston Villa.

"I haven't heard anything about a new contract but I'm still hoping that Saturday won't be my last game at Anfield for Liverpool.

"I really do feel I have plenty left. Even I have been slightly surprised with the way I have got stronger and stronger this season.

"I know my body, I'll be the first to recognise when I'm not up to it. But to be honest I feel great and I really don't want Saturday to be my last game at Anfield."

-_-_-_

More of the same from SSN.com. I hope he does stay, he's a legend.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed May 03, 2006 8:11 am

maybe stevie g can sway rafa to keep robbie

i personally think he will stay with us for another season at least :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Wed May 03, 2006 8:25 am

robbie stay will more likely due to excessive strikers then not being needed, the issue is about how to make everybody happy. so it will much depend on who will be going if he stays
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Wed May 03, 2006 8:26 am

Rafa has to know that Robbie can give a lot to the team.

On or off the field.

Not resigning Robbie means losing valuable experience for the younger players and from what I can read from papers, a dent in morale. Not to mention, it would certainly anger many fans.

We have a lot to gain from keeping him. And to ask him to leave would be a stunning disappointment.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Wed May 03, 2006 8:27 am

joko wrote:robbie stay will more likely due to excessive strikers then not being needed, the issue is about how to make everybody happy. so it will much depend on who will be going if he stays

Well put Joko.  :D

I'd bet its Morientes.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed May 03, 2006 9:28 am

stmichael wrote:As much as I love the guy and as much as I still think he has a great deal to offer this football club, I've just got this hoorible feeling that after building all our hopes up, Robbie won't get a contract afterall.

Blasphemy Mick, pure blasphemy!!

Never underestimate the power of positive thought!!

As many wiser voices have stated before me, the little fella simply has to stay. It would be like Boca showing Diego the door. It simply mustn't happen. Having Robbie around the place could serve firstly to keep any incoming new strikers on their toes. Secondly he can still do a job in his own right and thirdly he's a fantastic tonic to the club and the fans as a whole.

Come on Raffa do the right thing you know it makes sense!

P.S if anybody is running a collection for Mr Cisse's cab fare to speke please PM me as I would like to contribute!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu May 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I think Rafa already made the decision to give Fowler a one year contract some weeks ago, but is totally right in waiting till the season is almost up.

The only way I see Fowler not staying is if Rafa believes he has 2 quality strikers ready to sign for us, in that case I would support not giving Fowler a new contract. But this is not likely.

And it makes no sense to give him anymore than a 1 year contract. He is 31, in physical decline and is happy to go year by year so why tie are selves down.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu May 04, 2006 4:40 pm

physical decline by 31....good grief, i hope you never make it as a doctor luke
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu May 04, 2006 5:59 pm

Judge wrote:physical decline by 31....good grief, i hope you never make it as a doctor luke

Your contributions hold more value in general chat.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 05, 2006 7:45 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Judge wrote:physical decline by 31....good grief, i hope you never make it as a doctor luke

Your contributions hold more value in general chat.

thanks for your input

i understand your point previously, but your comment about physical decline at 31 didnt show in what context you meant it, and im sure robbie would disagree with you.

if thats the case then you should join me in gen chat

ditto mate
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 12:59 pm

he's got his new contract, believe me. i have it on good authority :nod

watch everyone say "SSOOOOUUUURRRRCCCCCE?" now :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:04 pm

course he's staying. maybe an old dog but he still knows all the tricks..... :)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion