Robbie fowler - 1 YEAR CONTRACT TO BE SIGNED NEXT WEEK

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Mark 23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Fowler has over 100 properties (rumoured) and Leeds still pay his wages. He has said that he has contemplating quititng in the past, so I don't think money is his motivation, and nor is it an issue.
He could of stayed at Man City and just collected his wage.
Mark 23

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Another solid contribution from Paul Tompkins on .tv discussing Robbie's qualities read it here:

"For me, there are three types of 'classic' Fowler finish we've seen over the years: the predatory poacher's goal; the angled shot that is so accurate it nestles in the corner of the net, irrespective of how cleanly it is struck; and the longer-range strike that gives the goalkeeper no chance. We've yet to see any of the latter, but the first two examples have been in evidence in recent weeks.

None of his four since returning to Liverpool has been a spectacular goal. Indeed, each has looked a fairly 'easy' finish, and that's the skill of Fowler as a goalscorer: finding that space in the box so that when the ball arrives at his feet, he's already done the hard work. Other strikers, who don't take up such great positions, have to work harder with their finishes.

A pleasing aspect of Fowler's goals have been that two of the four have been scored away from home, when I expected most of his success to be at Anfield. The finish against West Brom was from a speedy counter-attack, and it was nice to see Fowler on the end of a quick move that included a burst of pace from Cisse.

Fowler is not just finishing off the moves, but helping create the chance in the first place. Against Bolton he won a header, then was alive when Crouch laid a delightful touch back to him. Against Blackburn, he chested Riise's throw to Morientes and then quickly found the time and space for the return, giving Morientes the perfect angle. While Morientes' pass was inch-perfect, Fowler was holding an ideal position between defenders, giving the Spaniard the chance to roll the ball into the precise area of space for him to run onto....

...I'd love to see Fowler stay, and to my eyes there are far more pros than cons to keeping him. But I'm not too worried if he doesn't; it'll mean Rafa will have a pretty special replacement lined up."

-----------------------------------------------------

Tomkins hits several nails squarely on the head here but I do dispute the last line somewhat: any number of "special replacements" might exist out there to tempt Rafa (and wish-list striker threads have sprouted like weeds around here in the past few months, full of 'special' players) BUT...

Until they pull on the red shirt and do the business for us on a consistent, long-term basis, any replacement will be a POTENTIAL step down from Robbie, regardless of their proven ability elsewhere.  In other words, if Rafa chooses to bring in a replacement rather than resigning Robbie...the lad had better not be another Nando! :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
babu wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:
babu wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade lads, but I'm not convinced that Owen coming back to LFC is the best option for next season. I don't reckon he's as fast as he once was and I reckon he's only going to get slower. Granted, so does Fowler, but pound for pound, I'd have RF over MO any day of the week. I wouldn't be surprosed if Rafa hasn't already got somebody lined up for the close season....watch this space....

sorry mate but assume you are correct in you prediction that MO will be resigned. Why does this affect whether or not fowler will be given a new contract??

Because the way i see it, having fowler on the books will cost us next to nothing. If MO comes he will be first choice striker, I don't think regardless of what happens in the summer anyone expects fowler to be first choice striker (unless of course if no new strikers come).

what about robbie's salary, i heard he got huge salary

Leeds are required to pay roughly half his salary until 2007, i think.

And it is rumoured that he is being paid a paltry sum as it is.

I really don't think wages will be an issue in this case.

isn't the case i'm afriad.  Leeds deal of paying 15k a week with Fowler ends this summer.  I'm gussing Fowler would want a 40k a week deal because that's what he's on at the moment including the leeds payments.

I'm sure I've read in several places that Leeds will be paying until the summer of 2007.  Can anyone confirm?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Tomkins is a average but very optimistic writer, some bitter, pessimistic fans would call him a sunshiner but this is probably the first article of his where I haven't closed the window without finishing it. He's correct about everything and then he goes and spoils it by saying "special replacement".

You can't replace "God", Liverpool could sign Shevchenko, Ronaldinho, Tevez and Bellamy but they will never beat Robbie. I'm surprised that a supporter of Tomkins status even has the cheek to say that.

:angry:
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
babu wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:
babu wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade lads, but I'm not convinced that Owen coming back to LFC is the best option for next season. I don't reckon he's as fast as he once was and I reckon he's only going to get slower. Granted, so does Fowler, but pound for pound, I'd have RF over MO any day of the week. I wouldn't be surprosed if Rafa hasn't already got somebody lined up for the close season....watch this space....

sorry mate but assume you are correct in you prediction that MO will be resigned. Why does this affect whether or not fowler will be given a new contract??

Because the way i see it, having fowler on the books will cost us next to nothing. If MO comes he will be first choice striker, I don't think regardless of what happens in the summer anyone expects fowler to be first choice striker (unless of course if no new strikers come).

what about robbie's salary, i heard he got huge salary

Leeds are required to pay roughly half his salary until 2007, i think.

And it is rumoured that he is being paid a paltry sum as it is.

I really don't think wages will be an issue in this case.

isn't the case i'm afriad.  Leeds deal of paying 15k a week with Fowler ends this summer.  I'm gussing Fowler would want a 40k a week deal because that's what he's on at the moment including the leeds payments.

I'm sure I've read in several places that Leeds will be paying until the summer of 2007.  Can anyone confirm?

"Leeds have confirmed they are still paying the former England striker a wage.

... [A]s part of the agreement which took him to Manchester City, Leeds agreed to keep paying Fowler a proportion of his wages, to make up for the shortfall which came with moving to Eastlands.

Leeds chief operating officer Shaun Harvey told the Yorkshire Post that agreement would stand until the summer, the time Fowler's contract at Leeds was originally due to expire."

its this summer it runs out.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:37 am

i read the yorkshire post, and havent seen that story, please post it up here in glorius colour
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Robbie will be resigned. As mentioned previously, even with a couple of new strikers to come. He will be a very handy super sub. Morientes will head back to spain.

Cisse should be given one more season to prove himself. Even though Cisse's first touch leaves a lot to be desired. His finishing is not up to scratch either.:;): :buttrock
PCG77

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:46 pm

PCG77 wrote:Even though Cisse's first touch leaves a lot to be desired. His finishing is not up to scratch either.:;): :buttrock

Surely by this admission it would be pointless keeping him?
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:03 pm

PCG77 wrote:Robbie will be resigned. As mentioned previously, even with a couple of new strikers to come. He will be a very handy super sub. Morientes will head back to spain.

Cisse should be given one more season to prove himself. Even though Cisse's first touch leaves a lot to be desired. His finishing is not up to scratch either.:;): :buttrock

first post and that is what you come up with???

cissie isn't good enough , Rafa knows it and so do most lfc fans, his plus point are his passion and speed which is not enough imo    he hasn't got the football skills that are required of a top level striker,

The biggest portion of people would have loved cissie to be a hit because we might not have missed owen so much if he had lived up to expectation.

sorry to have a dig but you surrgest keeping him for another season even though his first touch and finishing are'nt up to scatch.. what are you looking for from a striker then.....

in the words of the stock market SELL SELL SELL  :buttrock
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:05 pm

Judge wrote:i read the yorkshire post, and havent seen that story, please post it up here in glorius colour

I actually got it from the Daily Mail, but they quoted the Yorkshire post.  His deal runs out in June with leeds.

here you go.link
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 pm

cheers :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:43 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
Judge wrote:i read the yorkshire post, and havent seen that story, please post it up here in glorius colour

I actually got it from the Daily Mail, but they quoted the Yorkshire post.  His deal runs out in June with leeds.

here you go.link

Thanks for the link, mate...

I happen to agree with others, though.  It's not about the money for Robbie or for the club--it's a question of whether he fits Rafa's plans.  I think Rafa will see that he does.

Simply put, Robbie has the ability to change a game.  Like Garcia, he might not start week in, week out but he'll be wonderful to have on the bench.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Looks like Rafa still hasnt made up his mind  :down:

From BBC

"If he can keep scoring it will be easier for me," he said. "I know what I want to do but I'll talk to my staff."

Benitez added: "We all know he has a lot of passion for the club.

"We will continue working with Robbie. When a player is playing every game he cannot improve a lot in his physical condition.

"We cannot expect to see the best of him now. Perhaps in pre-season we will see him progress but we need to decide on his future first."
Last edited by Dundalk on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:49 am

Imo, I would hang on to Fowler but look to offload Morientes. El Moro is way passed his peak and I'm afraid he's eating into our chequebooks without contributing much. Fowler, on the other hand, seem to look sharper when every game went by and can be a handy player on the bench. Although Cisse lacks the apparent technique adn skill, I say keep him as he can provide us with his speed. We need at least one striker that have such quality.

Should we have extra cash to spend, yes then get a striker in the expense of Cisse. But for now, our utmost priority is a world-class right winger.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:14 pm

here is the latest on robbie fowler:

Robbie Fowler's agent is optimistic the veteran Liverpool striker will be offered a new contract at Anfield.
Fowler rejoined the club from Manchester City on a short-term deal in January, which is due to end in July.

The 31-year-old is still waiting to hear from boss Rafael Benitez on whether he will be offered an extended deal at Anfield.

But his representative George Scott told BBC Sport: "Robbie wants to stay and I've got a good feeling about it."

Benitez hinted earlier this week that he may be ready to offer Fowler a new deal if he shapes up well during the summer.

The Liverpool manager said: "We cannot expect to see the best of Robbie now, perhaps in pre-season we will see him progress."

And Scott is now hopeful the former England striker will be given a chance to prove himself further when he reports back for training in July.

"He loves the club and with a really good pre-season under his belt Robbie is hoping to be even sharper for next season.

"It's a case of wait and see but I hoping something can be sorted out and I know Robbie is very keen to stay at Anfield.

"He is very happy being back 'home', he's scoring goals and training hard and I'm sure it's helping him playing again at his boyhood club."

Meanwhile, Bolton are among a group of top Premiership clubs monitoring Fowler's situation if Benitez decides to let him go.

"He was out injured for a long time but he's getting back to full fitness and feels there is a lot more to come."

Robbiew Fowler's agent George Scott

And Scott admitted: "We know there is interest from elsewhere and I think any team in the Premiership would be happy to have him.

"He's only 31 and when you think of what he can do at this level I'd expect someone to come in.

"But Robbie's priority is to get a new deal with Liverpool and hopefully the club may feel it's a case of 'we know what we've got in him'.

"You never know sometimes how new players will settle in - but with Robbie they've got someone who's eager to play for them.

"He may not have be happy to sit on the bench elsewhere but at Liverpool, he would be still be glad to come on and do a job - that's how much it means to him being there."

Scott revealed that the Liverpool supporters' reaction to Fowler's return to Anfield was the inspiration behind his excellent goalscoring form.

Prior to Wednesday's 2-1 victory at West Ham, he had netted four goals in his previous five games.

"You only had to see the welcome he received when he returned to the club in January and I know that has really spurred Robbie on.

"I'm sure the fans would love to see him stay for a while longer.

"He was out injured for a long time while at Manchester City but he's getting back to full fitness and he feels that there is a lot more to come."
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion