Robbie fowler - 1 YEAR CONTRACT TO BE SIGNED NEXT WEEK

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:34 pm

Just did some quick sums.

Robbie has spent 666 mins(!) on the pitch since he arrived.

He's only played the full 90 minutes once.

So, that's just over 11 hours, or the equivalent of just under 7 and a half matches.

More than 1 goal in 2 games then, whichever way you look at it.
ivor_the_injun

Postby wee_boi888 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:41 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Just did some quick sums.

Robbie has spent 666 mins(!) on the pitch since he arrived.

He's only played the full 90 minutes once.

So, that's just over 11 hours, or the equivalent of just under 7 and a half matches.

More than 1 goal in 2 games then, whichever way you look at it.

Don't forget the couple of 'offside' goals too
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dimshen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:08 pm

the aspect of robbie's return i love most is the way all the schpeil was about how he wasnt fit enough, and he would have to work hard to regain form and fitness...as far as i can tell he's getting sharper with every game, which can only mean he's ACTUALLY been working his :censored: off. This must be testament to his love and commitment to LFC. My only worry may be that WHEN he gets his extension (i cant see him not getting one after his performances) this hardcore effort is watered down under the garantee of another year in the squad
Dimshen

Postby Kiwi-Kopite » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:10 pm

The only reason Rafa hasnt sent him packing yet is because hw wouldnt be liked by the fans, to be honest robbie is easily replaceable. He isnt as sharp as he used to be and i dont think he is capible (sp?) of scoring 15-20 goals a season which is really what is keeping us from the top spot.
Kiwi-Kopite

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Well he's got 4 in 7 starts, and 8 in 18 appearances across two clubs.

Unless you think they've all been flukes and that he couldn't sustain that kind of record over a season, then he'll walk 15 goals a season.
ivor_the_injun

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:18 pm

we shuold keep him but we wont. it just isnt beni's style. but if he does continue to score then u never know.

also alonso has been saying that fowler is the predator we have been missing so fingers crossed eh?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flashard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Kiwi-Kopite wrote:The only reason Rafa hasnt sent him packing yet is because hw wouldnt be liked by the fans, to be honest robbie is easily replaceable. He isnt as sharp as he used to be and i dont think he is capible (sp?) of scoring 15-20 goals a season which is really what is keeping us from the top spot.

Not sure how long you have supported the club, with all respect to you buddy but. I have already read how he has brought good humour to the dressing room and how all the squad enjoy having him around. Also someone who is in total love with his club in my eyes is irriplaceable. Not as sharp as he was. Not sure that quote is correct either. I agree he may not have the pace but trust me the last few games i've seen and his goal against Blackburn showed how sharp he is at the moment. In other words very sharp. So please be a little bit more constructive towards a player who is doing more than most of the squad to prove his worth to the manager.

Fowler you are God and i hope you get that contract  :bowdown
Flashard

Postby Houllier=LFC » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 pm

I hope he would be here even after hes retired as a training staff or something.
Houllier=LFC

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:38 pm

Kiwi-Kopite wrote:The only reason Rafa hasnt sent him packing yet is because hw wouldnt be liked by the fans, to be honest robbie is easily replaceable. He isnt as sharp as he used to be and i dont think he is capible (sp?) of scoring 15-20 goals a season which is really what is keeping us from the top spot.

Have you actually seen him play? Do you not realise that nobody is expecting him to be our number 1 striker?

Who would YOU like to see as 3rd/4th choice upfront then?
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:40 pm

he has had the ball in the net 7 times in 13 (not full 90 min) games ok 3 didnt count cos offside (1 should have) I dont know why we wouldnt keep him.

It would sell some extra shirts and keep the fans happy. He is better than Morientes and Cisse just because of his passion.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Robbie didnt leave 'to win things/better himself/make an impression elsewhere or experience a big European club', he was virtually forced out. he's come back like a kid in a sweet shop and right now he's got the taste for stayin and enjoyin himself. It aint costin a small fortune to keep him, he's deliverin the goods and no-one on the Kop gets p!ssed off when he doesnt convert every chance. We know that he'll score, sooner or later the net will bulge and add one more to his superb tally of goals for us.
So why the hell shouldn he stay?

Give him the contract, free his soul entirely and watch the result.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:15 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:He is better than Morientes and Cisse just because of his passion.

passion?!
:veryangry  :veryangry

other than cisse's pace robbie fowler beats both of them in every other department 4 me.......I'll go as far as 2 say that he's better than both of them combined. :buttrock  :bowdown  :cool:
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby vlady16.1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 pm

:cool: i find it very relevant that god scored on easter

seriously -- he is by a wide margin our best striker, he makes all the people around him better-- i just find that the team looks better with him on the field- same effect as gerrard and if he is just let go man i don't want to see the fallout -- it could ruin what we have cos alot of people will be really pi**ed

the question is why wouln't he be resigned -- only thing would be his ability to play at a high level for a whole season-- is rafa waiting to see if he keeps working in the off season???

as i've said before, i think he already signed and this is just a smokescreen for something bigger
vlady16.1

Postby Morth » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:13 pm

It's a no brainer, it really (to me at least) is.

The man has one of the biggest goal scoring tallies in the Premiership, he is a living legend here at LFC, and bar maybe Alan Shearer and Teddy Sheringham, he has the greatest playing experience as a top striker in England.

What does he offer?  He was a natural goalscorer, he still is.  He might not be your 25 goal a season fox in the box player anymore, his physique doesn't allow it in to that extent anymore.   His movement and vision, however, is still the same, and his linkup play is much better now (Again, in my opinion) than it ever was before. 

In that respect, I feel this really is Fowler's second coming:  He's back, and he's different!  He offers a game intelligence that allows us to really cut open defences by his smart flick-ons and set up plays (You'd think Cisse would score tons concidering this was exactly what we said we were missing when looking uninspiring going forward.)  He's not selfish, he's here because he loves the club, and finally:  Imagine what he could teach Cisse, Crouch and possibly Bellamy if he came to the club.  Not just in their playing game, but off the pitch too.  Fowler's had his moments off the pitch, but he's all grown up now, and I think he's the ideal man to "raise" a player like Bellamy.

And since Leeds United are generous enough to pay his wages until 2007, he will continue to cost us feck all in terms of wages.  Anyone else see this as a no brainer?  Give the man a contract!
Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?
I'm half way through my FISH burger and I realize, Oh my God...
I could be eating a slow learner!

http://www.kopites.net  -  Regularly updated LFC clips and pictures.
Morth

Postby Red Soul » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:46 pm

Fowler has to be given a new contract. The only thing that confuses me is why it's taking Rafa so long to announce it.

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the situations, and I can't honestly find any cons. Robbie's wages for next season are being subsidised by some shady Yorkshire outfit, and even if they weren't - his wages wouldn't present that much of a drain on our resources. There is also the fact that it has cost f*ck all to sign the lad. So financially, re-signing Robbie is not a problem.

Then there's these demented freaks who keep saying that Robbie's career is over. Too fat. Too old. Too slow. Squad player at best. These people are uniformly those who never understood what Robbie's game is about - intelligence. He doesn't burn past defences in a blaze of speed like Cisse or a flurry of flailing stepovers like that mong Christiano Ronaldo. Robbie's game is about using his brain to create space on the ball, whether through a sneaky, unexpected pass or a deft touch away from the defender, then using his proven lethal finishing ability to lash the damn thing into the back of the net. And for those who keep proclaiming that Robbie will only be a 4th-choice striker, I've got a big ol' newsflash - he's currently one of Rafa's first-choice strikers. He's starting a lot of matches, isn't he? And funnily enough, he also seems to be banging in more goals than any of the others, doesn't he? So in all honesty I can't fathom how Rafa would refuse him a contract on grounds of his ability.

I do think it's unnecessary for the management to delay a decision over his contract for so long - it's been offered up that they're doing it to increase Robbie's hunger, commitment and dedication. I think this could be achieved just by handing the lad a red shirt.

I think it's more sneaky than all this, though... I think it gives us our strongest suspicion that Rafa will be shopping for a striker in the close season. Why?

Think about it. The less strikers we have, the greater opportunity there is for a new striker to hold a first team place, so the greater our bargaining position. The conspiracy theorist in me is saying that we will sign this mystery striker, and Robbie's contract will be offered very shortly afterwards.
Red Soul

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion