Riise - Where does he stand?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon May 29, 2006 4:45 pm

1) How many games will Riise start next season?

Not a regular starter, but he'll be used from the start in quite a bunch of games, specially those of the EPL that are in the middle of European competition

2) In your opinion, what is Riise's best position?

Left back. He's competent as a L winger too but IMHO, one of his strong points is the stamina, he can do lots of attacking runs and come back from that LB position.
3) What is(are) Riise's chief contribution(s) to the club?

Stamina, when the oposition midfielders are tired in min 65, he does his attacking runs and that hurts a lot the oposition.

Very good long shot.

Teamwork.

Decent defending. Good long throw ins.

4) Long term, do you see Riise as a squad player or as a starter?

Squad, but don't understimate "squad player" concept. We haven't been used to play the champions league in the last decade, and to play it decently and performing well in the EPL you need a depth squad. You need those players like Riise or Luis Garcia that perhaps they will not be in the starting eleven always ala Alonso or Gerrard, but if they are, you couldn't say the team is weaker.

The category of players that I've tried to describe are almost starting players, unlike for instance Traore or Kronkamp whose games has been more scarce.

Riise is an important player for the club. I appreciate him a lot too.

By the way good post
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 29, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Crouchamania » Mon May 29, 2006 4:52 pm

If we sell JAR my sister will cry
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 29, 2006 5:02 pm

Here's an interesting comment from Riise quoted in a Norwegian paper earlier this month.  At first glance you wouldn't think that a lack of aggression was Riise's problem but perhaps he could stand to stick the boot in a bit more at LB?  By the way, he's right about his disciplinary record.  Riise's never been red-carded in his career and has only received 6 yellow cards in over 300 career games--a remarkable record for any LB (or LM for that matter)!  According to .tv JAR managed to pick up one yellow card this season but I cannot recall when for the life of me.  Anyone remember him getting booked?

Soccer star vows to get tough

John Arne Riise, one of Norway's most well-known professional soccer players, says he wants to get more aggressive. The captain of his club, Liverpool, wants him to get tougher, too.

John Arne Riise, shown celebrating after scoring against Chelsea from a free kick in April, says he needs to get more aggressive.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has asked Riise to be more aggressive in his tackling. Riise promises he'll try.

"I want to be more aggressive," he told LFC Magazine.

Riise, originally from the west coast city of Ålesund, noted that in his five seasons of playing for Liverpool, he can't remember getting more than a half-dozen yellow cards.

Riise says he's never been thrown out of a match either. He thinks he has an image as a fair player.

That shouldn't be a bad thing, but Riise acknowledges that he probably should get more aggressive. "I don't have a reputation for being that kind of player," he said.

Read the original article here
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon May 29, 2006 5:05 pm

I don't think he's soft whatsoever. Not that he has the best tackling of the world, but he has a good tackling, and of course that helps in order you reach in time to the challenge and he doesn't get a card.

There are some players that never get a red card (Xabi Alonso's brother for instance) but it's because they never put the foot there, they never risk a tackle. This is not the case.

I don't think he needs to be more aggressive.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Mon May 29, 2006 5:41 pm

1) at LEAST half of all games played

2)left wing back

3) stamina,shooting, relative amount of pace in comparison with the other three defenders and sometimes his long passing isn't too bad.

4)Starter, only defender with any pace and offers something to the attack.

5) HELL NO. He will be part of any title challenge.
coolsobs

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 29, 2006 6:16 pm

coolsobs wrote:and sometimes his long passing isn't too bad.

Good point and something Riise doesn't get enough credit for, IMO.  How many times have we seen him hit the long diagonal ball over the top to pick out Gerrard or Cisse on the right wing?  He hit a lovely diagonal ball to put Gerrard through on goal in the last league game against Portsmouth--were it not for Kiely's quick reactions to get the block, that move would have opened the scoring.

Should Aurelio finally sign on, I think it will be a very interesting LB situation next year (I think JAR's days are largely done as a LM for us, barring injuries/suspensions to Gonzo and Kewell).  I could see Rafa splitting the duties fairly evenly, presuming Aurelio settles quickly and is up to scratch in the English game.

Besides his pile-driver free kicks, there is very little flash to Riise's game but his tireless running, his eye for the quick outlet pass, his ability to overlap down the left when Kewell cuts infield, his decent crossing ability and the usefullness of his long throwing ability are the kind of 'intangibles' that help the team perform to a high standard.

I for one, rate the lad and I think Aurelio will need to be pretty special to relegate JAR to the bench anytime soon.

As for selling him now, I of course, asked that only as a hypothetical--in my own view, selling him at this stage would be lunacy!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon May 29, 2006 6:46 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Should Aurelio finally sign on, I think it will be a very interesting LB situation next year (I think JAR's days are largely done as a LM for us, barring injuries/suspensions to Gonzo and Kewell).  I could see Rafa splitting the duties fairly evenly, presuming Aurelio settles quickly and is up to scratch in the English game.

If he does sign on, he's going straight into the LB position. As for him starting in front of Kewell and Gonzalez? No chance of that happening unless Kewell and Gonzalez both are out injured or less Aurelio is injured.

At the moment the pecking order is like this

Left Back

1) Riise
2) Warnock
3) Traore

Left Mid

1)Kewell
2) Riise

Now if the two players Aurelio and Gonzalez do come in, bare in mind Traore is going, the pecking order will probs look like this.

Left Back

1) Aurelio
2) Riise
3) Warnock

Left Mid

1) Kewell
2) Gonzalez
3) Riise

That to me is how it's going to end up, and if it does will someone like Riise like warming the bench or being used in a rotational system? I don't think so, Riise has too many qualities in his game to be left on the bench. As you say his distribution is good, he runs and runs until he can no more, he has a fierce shot on him. But you can't expect someone like Riise to be happy with making 20 odd appearances a season with maybe 6 of them coming off the bench and so on.

We could well lose John Arne Riise with these two new signings. Perhaps the only way to keep him and use him is if we revert to a formation that supports wingbacks. Because I can't see him cementing down a permanent place. And perhaps Rafa is hoping Riise has a good World Cup and is able to sell him because I just cannot see how Riise is going to fit in future plans of Mr Benitez.  :(
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Mon May 29, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby Effes » Mon May 29, 2006 7:55 pm

I prefer Riise as Left Midfield - but with Traore or Warnock as our cover last season it was
seldom an option.

I prefer him to Kewell.
I think he's more consistent, intelligent, more heart. Plus he can TW.AT it like no other
(except Stevie G).
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon May 29, 2006 8:13 pm

One of the most underated players at the club. Bags of energy with a great eye for goal and must go down in the top 3 GH signings. Im sure that he will still command a first team place next season as he is one of the most commited players at the club. Always gets on with the job he's asked and never gets involved in any s**t with opposing players. The biggest qusetion about him will always be ' How did you score THAT GOAL' Class act
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 29, 2006 9:42 pm

Bad Bob wrote:1) How many games will Riise start next season?

2) In your opinion, what is Riise's best position?

3) What is(are) Riise's chief contribution(s) to the club?

4) Long term, do you see Riise as a squad player or as a starter?

5) As one of the club's 'bankable assets', should the board look to cash in on Riise now in order to help finance the title challenge or do you feel that Riise will play a vital role in any title challenge?[/b]

Nice post Bob and you are right about Riise probably not getting the credit he deserves after a VERY solid season this past year. In a way Riise could become for LFC what Gary Neville is for United. I know Riise isn't scouse (although he's starting to sound like it!) but he is ultra consistent, solid in defence and attack, has a great engine and plays with a lot of heart.

In answer to your questions.

1- I expect Riise to start at least 35 games next season no matter who Rafa brings in.

2- People who say Riise is well suited to the wing-back role are right. That would be his best position but he has improved his positional play considerably this past 18 months and has become an excellent full-back.

3- Riise's chief contribution? Solid defender, lots of heart and determination, good for a few spectacular goals a season and i would guess he has an important role to play in the dressing room as a foreigner turned adopted scouser.

4- Squad player or starter? Always a tough one because you never know who the manager will bring in. Starter untill someone comes in and plays better but then it's the same for everyone.

5- Sell him? No chance. Very good player, still young and still improving. Chelsea just won the title with Del Horno at fullback and Riise is a better player so i see no reason why he can't win a Championship medal with the Reds.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 30, 2006 1:40 pm

0asis wrote:Should Aurelio finally sign on, I think it will be a very interesting LB situation next year

what, he's going on the dole? ???  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:57 pm

stmichael wrote:
0asis wrote:Should Aurelio finally sign on, I think it will be a very interesting LB situation next year

what, he's going on the dole? ???  :D

Don't judge other's by your standards.  :laugh:
48-1119859832

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 am

riise is the best wingback in he world no question about it :)
Kopite-Jud

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:42 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Aurelio will have to be some player to keep JAR out of the first 11. And at any rate, the mammoth fixture list last season showed why at least two players for every position is essential.

No question, Riise has a huge future at this football club.

He's A F*CKING VIKING! :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby alxy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:04 am

riise is still our first choice LB... aurelio will have to dislodge him from that position... rafa did not buy aurelio because riise was doing a shitty job... but to have competition and cover for that position... we all thought morientes was going to walk-in and blow all the other strikers away...that didn't happen... so there's also no guarantee that aurelio is going to shine for us... but riise is proven and he will take some doing to dislodge...which can only be good for liverpool in general...
alxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion