Riise - In rafa's plans?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:19 pm

You must have no clue if you think that riise has no place in the managers plans after having his best season in professional football under the guy.

John has a point...where is Risse going to play?  He's NOT a winger...and not really a good LB either.  Yes, he had a good season, but, being on the wing, his mistakes could go unnoticed.  Anyone remember his countless, clueles,s runs where he would kick the ball past an opponent and then try to out sprint them to the ball?  He failed nearly EVERYTIME!  His crossing and shooting is good, but i can't see him playing 1/2 the games he did this year with a fit Kewell, Zenden, WArnock, Trore and whoever else comes in.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:22 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
You must have no clue if you think that riise has no place in the managers plans after having his best season in professional football under the guy.

John has a point...where is Risse going to play?  He's NOT a winger...and not really a good LB either.  Yes, he had a good season, but, being on the wing, his mistakes could go unnoticed.  Anyone remember his countless, clueles,s runs where he would kick the ball past an opponent and then try to out sprint them to the ball?  He failed nearly EVERYTIME!  His crossing and shooting is good, but i can't see him playing 1/2 the games he did this year with a fit Kewell, Zenden, WArnock, Trore and whoever else comes in.

Isnt that exactly what we want some decent competition for places especially with our fixture over load
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:25 pm

theres room for both players. about time we had a decent squad, not just a great first 11. thats what nearly cost us (well did in the league) last season
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:26 pm

Isnt that exactly what we want some decent competition for places especially with our fixture over load

in theory, yes....but will Risse be happy to get dropped?  I woudn't be surprised to see him leave in the Jan window because i think Rafa will have out and out wingers for next season and i think we have better defensive options available.  Don't get me wrong, i like Risse and think he's a good player but his ideal postion is defensive midfield and that position won't be available next season.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:44 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Totally agree. Riise's class control passing skill and vision make him the ideal left winger.

After all, he's exactly like Duff, Robben, Vicente and Downing... a real winger. I mean the fact he's lazy, can't win a header, can't defend and his natural position isn't left back has nothing to do with it.

???

For :censored: sake, the lad played there last season because he was forced into it and he done a fantastic job. Next season he'll be in his natural position and will be a valuable member of the FIRST 11.

His natural position is left wing back IMO, not left back.

He is poor defensively, and anyone who disagrees with that obviously hasn't watched him play at left back before.

He's got a good engine, a good shot, he's competitive and makes good runs.  All round a good player, but doesn't fit into a 442 as he is neither an out-and out winger or full back.

He'd be good to keep in the squad even if he doesn't always start, but like others have said, I doubt he'd be happy at going from playing every game in a season where the champions league was won to sitting on the bench.  Most likely he'd want away if that was the case
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kid a » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:16 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Totally agree. Riise's class control passing skill and vision make him the ideal left winger.

After all, he's exactly like Duff, Robben, Vicente and Downing... a real winger. I mean the fact he's lazy, can't win a header, can't defend and his natural position isn't left back has nothing to do with it.

???

For :censored: sake, the lad played there last season because he was forced into it and he done a fantastic job. Next season he'll be in his natural position and will be a valuable member of the FIRST 11.

Risse is not a winger. Duff,Robben and Vicente are very different players.

Vicente likes to play on the flanks and i mean 'on the flanks' he likes taking the ball deep near the corner post.

Duff has a bit of both, he playes wide, drifts in playes up sometimes, down sometimes.

Robben is unique, he can do anything he sets his mind to .. he cuts in a lot .. he changes direction with each step - got a lot of indivudiality to his game - not your regular winger.

Downing is a good winger with amazing crossing ability.

Risse however i dont believe would qualify as a 'Winger' in the literal sense. He does a decent job out there and has a cracker of a left foot, but to be a winger he needs to add a lot more to his game.

Just my openion.

I think he was being sarcastic, and that your post was really just a waste of time considering that. Just my opinion, though. Could be wrong...
Kid a

Postby The Magician » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:47 pm

Riise will still be at Liverpool for many years to come
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby red_indian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:52 pm

is it not possible that Rafa knows how to reform Riise in to a better left back then he has been in the past? given his good work ethic and great left foot he would be an ideal left back - he just needs the same type of transformation Traore went through on the defensive side under Rafa's wing as it were...
red_indian

Postby PabloAimar » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:54 pm

riise will be 1st choice left bak

traore only got new contract coz he's on abt £4 (sterling) a week. traore doesnt get picked wen warnock is fit.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby neilE » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:31 pm

I think Riise is vital to the club - call me an idiot too if you want, but for me, especially last season, he had pretty much all you could want in his position - hard working, never gives up, his commitment couldn't be questioned, AND he scores goals and puts in top notch crosses (league cup final , and the cross for the first CL final goal will stick in my memory for a very long time). He played almost every game he was fit for last season. This season we could end up playing over 70 matches. We need Riise in the team as much as possible, and we need quality cover, because no-one could play at their best for 70 matches.
neilE

Postby 2520years » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:35 pm

PabloAimar wrote:riise will be 1st choice left bak

traore only got new contract coz he's on abt £4 (sterling) a week. traore doesnt get picked wen warnock is fit.

Sorry, but Traore does get picked ahead of Warnock.

Personally, I like to see Riise left-midfield next season, but we definitely need a bigger squad so I'm pleased Zenden is being signed on a free.

Riise - absolute class and the right attitude - priceless.

:nod
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Feeney » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:53 pm

2520years wrote:

Personally, I like to see Riise left-midfield next season, but we definitely need a bigger squad so I'm pleased Zenden is being signed on a free.

Correct about attitude.

TBH i'm very surprised that this topic has come up - Riise was one of our more consistent performers last year and to me is as much a part of the squad as Carra and Gerrard.

Is Zenden here to play left mid? I'm sure he played a good chunk of his time at Boro at centre mid, in which case (if, or at the min, Diao goes) that leaves Gerrard, Alonso, Hamman and Zenden fighting for 2 positions, Kewell and Riise fighting for left mid and Garcia and Gonzalez (when fit) fighting for right mid.

F**king strong midfield if you ask me which would only be weakened without Riise. To me, the lads' going nowhere, and won't for a long time - end of.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:14 pm

2520years wrote:

just becoz riise had a good season at left midfield, ppl forget how good a natural left full bak he is.

traore only gets picked ahead of warnock when there's a slight doubt abt his fitness.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby desperado0831 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:57 pm

No worries man,riise will show his best under rafa either in midfield or left back.

Don't argue with this and everthing will be alright. Immature!
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:18 pm

With over 70 matchs. Ofcourse riise will play and im sure he will cement himself into the first team.

And we should not forget rafa likes to change his formations and preferes versitile players that can move into different formations during games. He is also a big admiror of the sqaud rotation system.

How many times did he employ the 3 center halfs and two wing backs during the season?? im sure at least 25% of them.

Lets also not forget the large amounts of injurys we recived last season.

And not so long ago, (correct me if im wrong) did riise not sign a new contract as well as stating he wants to say at the clud for a very long time.

Riise has the right mentalty and rafa preferes players with the right mentalty as he has often stated.

Im sure rafa has got it all laid out in his head. :)
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion