Riise - Bye djimi.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:33 pm

I think Rafa should ditch Djimi and go with Riise at left back, lets face it nobody really trusts Djimi there every time he gets the ball I get worried. He has to many dodgy games compared to good ones and his first half display in the champions league final was like watching a horror film, Ralf little looked better then him in the match last week!!

Riise has rarely let his club down since he joined in the summer of 2001 scoring over 20 goals since then and only for a few crossbars and some brilliant saves would have double that (how many has Djimi got). Granted he might have played in midfield for some of them games but its still impressive.

He is lethal from free kicks as Manure know all about but more then anything i feel he can be trusted, he seems to play the intelligent ball most times, is a good tackler and a good reader of the game. At the moment he seems to be more of a squad player, he does start games but he would never be guarenteed his place in the team.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:51 pm

I think Warnock is a better shout at left back with Riise in front of him.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:51 pm

Please take my word for it that this is not a bog standard unfounded rumour. I have heard today from within the club that it is looking as though Riise is not going to be offered an extention to his current contract and is likely to be allowed to leave before the club loses the chance to recoup some money from his departure.

I've got to say I'm pretty shocked by this news. What do you guys think?

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:53 pm

risse is so underated its unreal
gary106

Postby MrsGerrard! » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:54 pm

i think Riise is a great player and we need somebody like him to whip balls in towards crouch and cisse  :D
MrsGerrard!

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:59 pm

Dundalk wrote:I think Rafa should ditch Djimi and go with Riise at left back, lets face it nobody really trusts Djimi there every time he gets the ball I get worried. He has to many dodgy games compared to good ones and his first half display in the champions league final was like watching a horror film.

well he has another 4 years to improve..... ???
as for the final, traore was vindicated in the second half dundalk. remember clearing his lines?  in fact, though his errors seem frequent. there are times when its a good job he has been playing! not many, but all the same. crucial interventions/blocks etc..i hear what your saying though.
traore has the clumsiest feet ive seen for a left back, he always looks as if the ball wont come out from between them. but when he is coming at right angles at speed and stretches out a telescopic leg to break up an attack....there we see his value. maybe he can make the grade, who knows. but he is a liverpool player at the moment and as such he requires our support. for how long will be decided on the cost of future mistakes to the team. he has quite a repertoire already!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 pm

thegreedo wrote:Please take my word for it that this is not a bog standard unfounded rumour. I have heard today from within the club that it is looking as though Riise is not going to be offered an extention to his current contract and is likely to be allowed to leave before the club loses the chance to recoup some money from his departure.

Is that a pretty reliable source greedo?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.  If rumours are to be believed Riise has gone off the rails a bit off the pitch this season following his marriage breakup, although I don't know any details.

In fact, over the summer I made a post saying that I didn't think Riise was in Benitez's plans long-term, but just about everyone on the forum criticised me for saying this about one of our better performers of last season.

I said this for several reasons.

1.  Riise is a wingback, not a winger or a left back.  Too poor defensively for a left back and not skilful enough to be a good winger.  He's got a good engine and that would make him a decent wingback, but of course we do not use wingbacks.

2.  Traore and Warnock were both given new contracts and Zenden was bought.  Over the summer the Gonzalez deal almost came off as well.  Why the need for so many left sided players?  On top of that there's kewell who Benitez seemingly rates (2 cup finals).

Riise has been a good servant to the club, but he's not the answer to either left mid or left back long term.  If Kewell gets fit and Gonzalez comes in I think Riise will find his chances very limited.  We need him this season so I wouldn't let him go in January or anything, but if Benitez gets a good bid for him in the summer I think he'll be on his way.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 pm

warnock is the best lLB at the club,strong in the tackle quick and can get forward and cross,
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:06 pm

thegreedo wrote:Please take my word for it that this is not a bog standard unfounded rumour. I have heard today from within the club that it is looking as though Riise is not going to be offered an extention to his current contract and is likely to be allowed to leave before the club loses the chance to recoup some money from his departure.

its a toss between riise and kewell for the chop when gonzalez arrives.
rafa (if not already decided) will have more than a beady eye on both until that time.

imo id lose kewell. from the perspective of the board whoever commands a decent fee might swing it?

riise = 4/5 mill
kewell = 2 maybe 3?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:09 pm

traore's last-ditch tackles might look good and he usually gets them spot-on but what we can't get away from is the fact that the reason he needs to make the last-ditch tackle in the first place is usually that he's found himself miles out of position or he's just given the ball away cheaply

riise is ten times the player traore is, i just wish he could always play like he did in the 1st half at anderlecht
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:13 pm

This 'RUMOUR' if proven true is quite surprising but I suppose it could be another step in the Rafalution. At times it could be said i suppose that Rafa may not really fancy him from the fact that he isn't a cast iron name on the teamsheet week in week out. The imminent arrival of 'Speedy' plus the continued emmergence of Warnock is leading to a real posssible lack of 1st team opportunities for Riise.

A couple of seasons ago it looked pretty much on the cards that Riise would be on his way 'cos of his sudden drop in form but after his increased good form last season and starting to put some goals away again he has for me really started to make the left wing birth his own.

If he does go then he will have left us with some good memories top one of course being that goal against Manure.

Jon Aaarne Riise ooh ahh, I wanna knowhoa how you scored that goal!! :bowdown  :bowdown
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:19 pm

john craig wrote:

Is that a pretty reliable source greedo?

I can promise you John, if it was :censored:, I wouldn't post it.

From what I have heard he is just not foremost in Rafa's plans.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 pm

anyone can come on the internet and claim to know stuff 'from within the club'....no offence intended greedo mate,but if i had a quid for every rumour on here like this id buy us joaquin :cool:
66-1120597113

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 pm

also with riise, he seems to have taken longer than the rest of the squad to gain fitness this time. there were games earlier on this term where he looked positively drained.
maybe john craig is right about his 'off-the pitch' troubles.
who are we to know.
but yet, when you look at his efforts in belgium 1st half you cant help feel he still has value to this team. one thing i will say is, when the ball breaks to him from distance. not always is it best to go for the 'scorching 25 yarder' id love to see riise a bit more composed then and look to link up with the forwards. im sure he could open defences better than he does.
then again the boy has hit some crumpers!  :bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm

It wouldn't suprise me if the rumour about Riise was true.

I'd be pretty :censored: of it is. Riise is an excellent player. He would certainly be part of my Liverpool SQUAD for years to come. Personally, i like Warnock better at left back and i believe we need a better left winger than Riise, but Having Riise there as an option is a must in my view.

He can get a goal and he's effective. He works his balls off aswell.

If the club are going to get rid of players like this and keep the likes of Djimi Traore they will never move forward.

I'd feel pretty good if i knew that Riise was second choice at left midfield and second choice at left back. It would show we have superb strength in those positions. He'd also get his fair share of games due to Warnocks injury record (which i don't believe will dissapear) and other circumstances.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion