Rick parry in usa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:51 am

By the looks of reports the Kraft family are looking for investment rather than takeover, involving David Moores to dilute his shareholding and allow the Kraft family to buy into LFC.

About the stadium naming rights, now i'm up for investment in Liverpool but we're going to get slated if our stadium is called:

Kraft Stadium

or

Kraft Anfield

We'd basically be waiting for the cheese jokes

:D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 am

And deal would not mirror Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United, with Moores not looking to relinquish his entire 51% shareholding.
Adebisi

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:27 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
red37 wrote:think so barry.

its spelt with a K though.

:laugh:  imagine dairylea on our shirts!!  :(

No mate it wont be Dairylee it will be like Heinz 57 varieties!!

Only it will say        KRAFT
                     Nobody knows
                     how many raffa 
                            has

"We all live on yellow margarine"
AlanHansen

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:49 am

Kraft Stadium or Kraft Anfield

Cheese Anfield :D
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Judge » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:49 am

perhaps we can ''spread'' our influence more in matches :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 am

Judge wrote:perhaps we can ''spread'' our influence more in matches :D

That was too cheesy, Judge
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:59 am

hawkmoon269 wrote:

not cheesy enough for you to respond though  :D

morning hawkmoon  :buttrock
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:25 am

wonder if the team will play in little triangles  :laugh:
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:31 am

Judge wrote:
hawkmoon269 wrote:

not cheesy enough for you to respond though  :D

morning hawkmoon  :buttrock

Morning Judge
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:07 pm

Courtesy of a Leon Mc post back in December 2004 here is some info on the Kraft family:

While Mike Jefferies is the "public face" in the consortium, along with another fellow Liverpool-native, the name you should be interested in is Robert Kraft. Kraft is the current owner of the New England Patriots NFL football club in the U.S., and is an investor/operater of the New England Revolution Soccer Club, currently coached by none other than former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol.

I've already posted the following in the forums on Koptalk, but figured they'd be of interest to you and others on the ThisIsAnfield forums. I figured the following would provide some additional context. In case you're curious, I'm a New England Revolution season ticket-holder, have been an active member of their primary independent supporters association from year one, and have written extensively for a respected former club fanzine that, I kid you not, was actually created by Liverpool supporter and native.

Robert Kraft is the opposite of Malcolm Glazer, and it would not at all be inaccurate to describe him as the most respected owner in the (NFL), and one of the most respected owners of any professional sports franchise in the United States. He is an exceptional (self-made) businessman, places a high value on success, but knows well enough to leave the day-to-day operations to those people best able to produce it.

Kraft is a native of Brookline, Massachusetts (suburb of Boston), attended public schools, and was accepted to the prestigious Columbia University on an academic scholarship, where he also played American football as a student. After receiving his undergraduate degree, he was accepted at and graduated from the Harvard Business School where he earned a Master's degree in Business Administration. Kraft is a trustee of Columbia University, the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and is active with many other civic and philanthropic organizations.

Kraft is Founder and Chairman of the Kraft Group, a holding company based in Boston, Massachusetts with business interests centered in three specific areas: paper and packaging; sports and entertainment; and venture investing. These holdings include the Rand-Whitney Group, a number of companies involved in corrugated container manufacturing, and the International Forest Products Group of Companies, a trader of paper commodities with offices in Vancouver, London, Gothenburg, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Kuala Lampur, while doing business in over 80 countries around the world. The Kraft Group is also the controlling shareholder of Carmel Container Systems Ltd., which is one of the largest packaging companies in the Middle East. The Kraft Group's sports and entertainment holdings include the New England Patriots of the NFL, and the New England Revolution of Major League Soccer.

But here's the thing, and this is undeniable: Kraft is a fan fan first, a real dyed-in-the-wool supporter of "his club," the New England Patriots. While he now takes in games from an executive box in Gillette Stadium, he's been a season ticket-holder since 1971, this back when he had cheap, uncomfortable, aluminum bench-style goal-line seats at the old Foxboro Stadium. I.e., Kraft is not some nouveau-riche cult of personality type like Chelsea's Roman Abramovich, or perhaps even Malcom Glazer. Kraft is an individual who, had he grown up in Liverpool, would have been singing himself hoarse in The Kop at Anfield.

Kraft bought the (then-troubled) New England Patriots franchise in February of 1994 for a then record of $172 million, a sum thought by many to be well more than he could, or should have paid for, preventing the club from moving to St. Louis, this after going through two owners and three coaches in the previous six years while winning only 19 of 80 games. The learning curve was steeper at the beginning, and had to face-up to a number of daunting issues: the team played in a bad stadium -- the worst in the league according to some, he got caught up in a nasty and highly public divorce with a popular and successful head coach of the Patriots in Bill Parcells, he had to absorb massive contracts paid to players who didn't pan out, there were front-office struggles, player conduct issues, and some dalliances with moving the franchise (to elsewhere in the New England region) that were tied to plans for a new stadium.

Here's what's happened in the ten years since he's bought the Patriots. As of 2004, the Patriots has been to three Super Bowls (League championship), have won two of the last three, and is currently tied for the best record in the NFL as of December 2004. They've done this with a total club payroll (in 2004) tied for 23rd in the league out of 32 total teams, and opened this season ranked 25th in player salaries at a combined total of $81,695,050. He invested $325 million of his family's money into building the state-of-the-art, 68,756-seat Gillette Stadium, a privately financed stadium (one of only three in the entire league) completed in 2002.

Image of the old Foxboro Stadium:

Capacity: 60,292

Image of the new Gillette Stadium:

Capacity: 68,756

The season-ticket base for the Patriots, which had reached a low of 17,635 in 1991 while standing at 28,954 in 1993, jumped to 42,726 in '94 and 56,696 a year later. It has since been capped at 61,759, with a paid waiting list of more than 50,000. The Patriots have sold out every game in 1994 and every one since, now a streak of 103 games.

Revenues... and this is no fabrication, have helped increase the value of the Patriots to $861 million dollars, fourth in the league, this according to Forbes magazine.

An industry source having recently been cited in a regional New England newspaper -- one who's had direct business dealings with Kraft, described him in this way: "He's a tough negotiator but fair. He's definitely a man of his word. If he shakes your hand and says it will happen, it happens. But he's a businessman and everything he does is geared around revenue generation so he can spend back on his team for fans, players and the experience. He's not ruthless but he's very tough..."

On the surface, his investment in the New England Revolution seems less a success story, and for any number of reasons, it has been.

On October 17, 1995, Robert Kraft and his son Jonathan became investor/operators of the New England Revolution, one of the 10 original organizations of Major League Soccer. The "franchise fee" at the time was a paltry $5 million dollars. While the club has historically underachieved on the pitch, and due to league control of all player contracts, including a fixed (and quite small) salary cap, Kraft (nor do any of the other League owners) have the luxury of operating their soccer (football) clubs consistent with most those around the world -- they can't go out and splash millions on a player, and as a result, the quality of the league does suffer somewhat, not matter the fact that it is now regularly producing players competing in some of the world's most competitive leagues, from the English Premiership, to the Dutch Eredivisie. The Revolution have been to one League (MLS) Cup Final in their nine years of existence, three League (MLS) Cup Semi-Finals, and one Open Cup Final, the 2nd oldest knock-out competition in the world that is the U.S.-equivalent of the F.A. Cup. While attendance has noticeably slipped over the past few seasons, this down to a shade under 13,000 per match, the club has averaged as high as 21,000, and for purposes of the 2005 season, the Krafts have slashed ticket prices back to what they were in 1996, a difference of almost 40%.

The current coach of the Revolution is former Liverpool player Steve Nicol, his assistant coach being former England international Paul Mariner.

The Krafts have hosted the MLS Cup match in their stadium(s) three different times, starting with the inaugural one in 1996, and seeing the Revolution turn out in the 2002 Cup, held on their home field at Gillette Stadium, losing a heart-breaker to Los Angeles on a golden goal in overtime in front of 61,316 fans, still the largest attendance figure for a soccer game in New England history. Kraft has also brought 1994 Men's FIFA World Cup matches to Foxboro (and regularly gets World Cup Qualifiers), as well as the 1999 Women's FIFA World Cup. The Krafts have also worked to bring high profile friendly international matches to Foxboro, with teams including Barcelona, Juventus, Fiorentina, Benfica, Sporting, and Ajax having played there.

As for their plans (if any) with Liverpool? Well, if Malcom Glazer is the wrong choice for United supporters, Kraft could very well be the right one for Liverpool supporters.

Below you'll find an article on Kraft that should give a good sense of the man, written by one of the better Boston sports writers. Enjoy.

MR. FIX-IT IN 10 YEARS, KRAFT HAS TURNED RISKY BUSINESS VENTURE INTO NEAR- DYNASTY IN NFL
John Powers, The Boston Globe
25 January 2004
Copyright © 2004 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

FOXBOROUGH - It was never about the risk-versus-reward ratio, about the half-billion dollars he'd sunk into a rickety football franchise. If it had been, Robert Kraft would have let James Orthwein out of his stadium lease, pocketed $75 million and watched the Patriots mosey off to Missouri.

It was, Kraft says, always about the fantasy, cockeyed as it might have seemed - a winning team playing in a magnificent stadium with every seat filled every Sunday, every game on TV and the Super Bowl at the end.

"You dream about winning a championship, but you never know if it's going to happen," the Patriots owner mused from behind his desk, two days before the team left for Houston and a date with the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII a week from today. "For us to be doing this for the third time in eight years . . ."

A decade and a week after Kraft bought the club for a record $170 million, his starred-and-striped players are favored to win their second NFL title in three seasons. Gillette Stadium (and its demolished predecessor) have been sold out for 104 consecutive games and season tickets have been capped at 61,759, with a paid waiting list of more than 50,000.

What once was fantasy has become fact. "I've got nothing but admiration for what the Kraft family has been able to achieve," says Philadelphia owner Jeff Lurie, who grew up in the Boston area and knows the franchise's checkered history by heart.

For the first time in the franchise's 44 years, the words "Patriots" and "dynasty" are appearing in the same sentence. "A dynasty is not one championship," counters Jonathan Kraft, team vice chairman and the owner's eldest son. "You have to win multiple championships. We haven't done that yet."

What the Patriots have done under the Krafts' supervision is establish stability and a commitment to quality from season to season. As significant as their three Super Bowl appearances is the fact that the team has reached the playoffs six times in 10 years and missed a seventh on a tiebreaker.

"The No. 1 thing is, you have to field a good football team," says Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, who helped broker the political deal that led to the building of Gillette Stadium. "They may not win every year, but you have to make sure they have the opportunity."
The league always thought the Patriots had the makings of a top- level team. "It was a franchise that was ready to emerge," says Lurie. "There was no reason why it couldn't happen in New England."

Seeing the potential

It was all about stability. There had been brief, brilliant starbursts - most notably the 1985 run to the Super Bowl. But when Kraft bought them, the Patriots had been through two owners and three coaches in six years and had won only 19 of their previous 80 games.
Yet they still were drawing more than 45,000 diehards to the least-hospitable facility in the league. "The thing on the balance sheet that nobody noticed was the potential fan base," Robert Kraft says. "If you understood the passion of the people . . ."

Kraft had held season tickets on the goal line since 1971 and he understood how starved the fans were for a winner. "I knew how my winters were ruined," he says, "when other teams were still playing and I was going into withdrawal."

What convinced Kraft to buy the team, his son says, was the final game of the 1993 season, when the Patriots beat Miami at home in overtime for their fourth straight victory after a 1-11 start.

"The crowd was just going nuts," Jonathan says. "They were just dying to have stability and commitment to a championship. Robert turned to me and said, `There's no way I'm not buying this franchise.' "

Kraft had wanted to buy it ever since cash-strapped founder Billy Sullivan began talking about selling it in the mid-1980s. That was why he'd bought an option to the land around the stadium with partner Steve Karp, purchased the stadium out of bankruptcy, then bought out Karp's interest.

"If we really wanted to own the team, we needed to find a way to have a competitive edge," Kraft says. "It was step by step, taking these risks."

The purchase price, Kraft says, was more than $50 million beyond what economic analysts had estimated for a high end. "My wife Myra thought I'd gone nuts buying the team," he confesses. "But there are moments in your life when you do things even though they're crazy but you think they're right. This was what I dreamed of as a kid, so I just decided to do it. Was it nuts at the time? Yes. It was not a prudent decision."

Though father and son high-fived each other on the plane ride back from St. Louis after completing the deal, they realized that all they'd done was make a down payment. "We bought the chance to fix something that was broken in a lot of places," says Jonathan.
The stadium needed a massive overhaul, if not a wrecking ball. The payroll was the league's lowest. What the Patriots did have, though, was one of the league's top coaches in Bill Parcells, a franchise quarterback in Drew Bledsoe, and an impending league cap to keep player salaries from spiraling out of sight.

Sticking to the plan

Those were the key stable elements that led to the first Super Bowl appearance in a decade in 1997. When the split came between owner and coach, that was the issue - stability.

"Bill was a great coach and he did a lot for the franchise," Kraft acknowledges. "But at the end of each year he'd say, `I don't know if I'm going to be here next year.' "

Kraft, though, was in for the long haul, ready to ante up several hundred million dollars more for a stadium, with the rockiest days still ahead. The roughest patch came during the autumn of 2001, when the Patriots started out 1-3 after a 5-11 season, coach Bill Belichick was under fire, and Kraft had a $325 million hole in the ground next door. "It was brutal," Kraft recalls. "A lot of sweaty palms and sleepless nights."

Hiring Belichick had been a mistake, people told him, especially after Miami had stomped the Patriots by three touchdowns in October. A turnaround might take time, but Belichick had a system and a plan, Kraft concluded. "I believed in Bill," he says. "I'd call him and say, whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

That was how Kraft ran his other businesses: Hire the best people and give them autonomy, but hold them accountable. "The thing I think the Krafts have done really well is to surround themselves with excellent people," says Lurie.

The owner's job, as Kraft sees it, is to put the team in the best position to win. The football decisions - drafting and signing, trading and cutting - are left to the football people. "Bob hired a good coach and he's smart enough to let him do the job," says Rooney. "At some places, that doesn't happen."

Trading Bledsoe to Buffalo two years ago was a football decision. So was releasing star safety Lawyer Milloy just before the season. "I trust Bill's judgment to do things that are right for the team," says Kraft. "He explained to me what he was doing and we supported him. Did I feel bad as a fan? Absolutely."

But with the Patriots on a club-record run of 14 straight victories, nobody's second-guessing football decisions. Since the loss to Miami two seasons ago, New England is 38-11, with a 21-4 record at home, where the high-decibel spectators and the low- reading thermometer have made Gillette Stadium a nasty playoff venue.

That's one reason why Kraft nixed the idea of a dome when the design was drawn up. "Why did the Bills make it to four straight Super Bowls? Because people had to go through Buffalo," he says. "People don't want to go to Green Bay."

The fans, Kraft says, are a huge part of why the Patriots will be playing in February. Problem is, only 10,000 of them will be inside Reliant Stadium. That means 50,000 season ticket-holders will be watching on TV. "We're going to the Super Bowl and we can't give them tickets," Kraft says. "I apologize to those fans."

A decade ago, who would have imagined a waiting list nearly twice the size of the 1993 season-ticket base? "It's what I call a high- class problem," Kraft says.

It's one of the challenges of success. Now that the Patriots have fulfilled their fantasies - the championship ring, the new stadium, sellouts all the way to the horizon - what do they do? More of what they've been doing, Kraft muses. "You run a business for the bad times," he says. "That's why you give quality."

The list of deposed NFL dynasties is long - Green Bay, Miami, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, Denver. Who would have predicted a year ago that both Super Bowl teams would go on to losing seasons? "It's hard to stay on top in this business," says Kraft. "The system is built to bring you back to the middle."

So the mission is to stay ahead of the curve, to establish an enduring standard of quality. "The whole thing now is about legacy," Kraft says. "We would like to become an example of what other teams would like to follow."

It isn't about a dynasty - not until there are rings for the whole hand. Ten years ago, when the Patriots were America's chumps, the idea of winning just one Super Bowl was nirvana. But their owner won't say no to a second. "Winning championships," Robert Kraft says, "is addictive."

Intresting, I am sure you will agree. Even more intresting is the fact that I have heard, (although I was not able to find any quoteable source on t'internet) that our very own King Kenny will be employed as the public face of the L4 group should they wish to formalise a bid.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 pm

AlanHansen wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
red37 wrote:think so barry.

its spelt with a K though.

:laugh:  imagine dairylea on our shirts!!  :(

No mate it wont be Dairylee it will be like Heinz 57 varieties!!

Only it will say        KRAFT
                     Nobody knows
                     how many raffa 
                            has

"We all live on yellow margarine"

:D
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Are the Kraft family Jewish
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cptrios » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:18 pm

Yeah, as I've said here before, I've lived in Boston my whole life and been a Pats fan since I can remember, and there isn't an American I'd rather have take over LFC than Kraft. He's a serious class act. Also, the Revolution are in the MLS final for the second time in a few years, and they play slightly more exciting football than the rest of the league.
cptrios

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 pm

drummerphil wrote:Are the Kraft family Jewish

Yes, Apparently they have done a lot of work in the Jewish Community and Israel.

Jewish involvement of Patriots' owner extends to Israel

JACOB HOROWITZ
Jewish Telegraphic Agency

BOSTON -- Robert Kraft may or may not have said the Shehechiyanu when his New England Patriots scored the game-winning field goal in Sunday's Super Bowl, but there was no mistaking the elation of this Jewish businessman and philanthropist.

The team owner nearly leapt through the glass window of his sky box at the Superdome in New Orleans as the clock ticked down and the 20-17 victory over the heavily favored St. Louis Rams brought the team its first Super Bowl title.

Kraft's passion, evident throughout this week's celebratory events, is not limited to football. Indeed, his presence -- and philanthropic endeavors -- has resonated far beyond the Patriots' front office.

Along with his wife, Myra, Kraft has been heavily involved in Jewish and non-Jewish projects throughout the area.

And the Krafts' Jewish involvement extends beyond Boston to New York and Israel, where they have invested in study programs, absorption of Ethiopian Jews, and a football stadium.

"Bob and Myra are truly an amazing combination," said Barry Shrage, president of Boston's Combined Jewish Philanthropies and a longtime friend of the family.

"They are two folks who are committed to all of the citizens of Greater Boston and the world, but they also have a strong connection and commitment to Israel and the Jewish people."

In 1989 the Krafts, in collaboration with Combined Jewish Philanthropies, introduced the Myra and Robert Kraft Passport to Israel Fund.

The fund helps children involved in Jewish studies take an educational trip to Israel sometime between their sophomore and senior years of high school. To date, thousands of students have taken advantage of the trips to Israel that the Krafts help provide.

In addition, the Krafts have been active in developing the sister-city relationship between Boston and Haifa.

In 1998 they participated in the renovation of an afterschool enrichment center that assists in the absorption, education and integration of Haifa's Ethiopian community.

Aside from the Krafts' their work with the Ethiopian Jewish community, their impact and presence can be felt across the state of Israel.

Kraft is the primary shareholder of Carmel Container Systems, Israel's largest packaging plant.

In 1997, he invested $40 million in a plant in Caesarea in order to provide his company, which employs 700 people, with the most advanced technology available.

In 1999, Kraft brought his love of football to Israel in the form of a new stadium, Israel's first American football stadium.

Kraft Stadium, at the northern end of Sacher Park in Jerusalem, is used to accommodate the Jerusalem-based American Touch Football in Israel league.

Currently in 13th year, the league runs a 33-team, 500-player league in Israel's capital.

At the time of the groundbreaking, the league president, Steve Leibowitz, commented that "this will be the start of an American sports revolution in Jerusalem."

Closer to home, the Krafts have worked to promote interfaith relations. Among other things, they created the Kraft-Hiatt Fund, a joint endowment fund through which gifts to College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass., and Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass., are used to encourage a greater understanding between Christians and Jews.

In referring to his friend, Shrage said, "Robert always says that his investment in Israel and his commitment to the Jewish people is a result of his upbringing."

Kraft's father, Harry Kraft, was a highly respected leader in the Jewish community of Brookline, a Boston suburb.

Myra Kraft, a 1964 Brandeis graduate and the daughter of Boston philanthropist Jacob Hiatt, has been a trustee at Brandeis since 1988. She also sits on the board of directors of Combined Jewish Philanthropies and is a member of its overseas committee, and is chairwoman of the Israel program committee.

In April 2000, Kraft gave an $11.5 million gift to Columbia University, his alma mater, for the establishment of the Robert K. Kraft Center for Jewish Student Life.

At the time, Kraft said the basement facility for Jewish students had not changed from the time he began Columbia in 1963 to when his son David entered in 1991.

"For a school like Columbia University in New York City, with the number of Jewish students, it is very important that there would be this kind of facility. I just thought it was time to help."

Said Richard Joel, president and international director of Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, "You only have to listen to what Mr. Kraft said when he accepted the Super Bowl trophy to understand what matters to him -- faith, family and country.

"It is no wonder that he and Myra are deeply committed to a values agenda. We are delighted to count them among our leadership."

Kraft's Jewish identity has even occasionally trickled into his position as owner of the Patriots.

On Sept. 22, 1996, he asked that the kickoff of a game between the Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars be changed to avoid a conflict with Yom Kippur, which started at sundown that evening.

Kraft requested the change so Jews, including himself and his family, could see the entire game before the start of Kol Nidre services that night.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:23 pm

cheers for that mate
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion