Reds to play in club championship - 2 games max

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Sat May 28, 2005 10:20 am

From BBC:

Reds to play in club championship

The Club World Championship trophy
Reds face wait over Euro decision
Fifa has confirmed Champions League winners Liverpool will represent Europe in the new Club World Championship to take place in Japan in December.

They will join the six-team tournament at the semi-final stage and will face a team from either Africa, Asia, Oceania or Central America on 15 December.

The previous Club World Championship took place in Brazil in 2000.

Meanwhile, Liverpool must wait until a Uefa meeting on 17 June to find out if they can defend their trophy next year.

Under current Uefa rules they will have to play in the Uefa Cup as they finished fifth in the Premiership and no country can have five clubs in the Champions League.

The Reds won their fifth European Cup on Wednesday with a sensational penalty shoot-out victory over AC Milan having been three-goals down at half-time.

Not sure about this - initially I thought this was madness. The last thing we need next season is more matches. It is imperative that we make grounds in the Premiership next year - that has to be our greatest priority, and this tournament just seems to be an opportunity to tire the players out before the crucial Christmas matches, nevermind the risk of picking up injuries. However it seems that were going to waltz in at the semifinal stage and therefore will have a maximum of two matches to play - it could be a bit of entertainment.

Thoughts?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:30 am

If liverpool cant play in the Champions League,why should we bother playing this.Lets have a policy of no co operation with UEFA and tell them to stick the Supercup as well.
84-1106852058

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat May 28, 2005 11:38 am

Because thats not the Liverpool way.  Liverpool dont pout and whine until we get our way.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 28, 2005 11:47 am

Go for both trophies and win them both.

UEFA may not have any class and decency, but we do.

We'll get more respect than UEFA by participating and winning those two cups.

Besides, we've won the Super Cup before, so we may as well go for it again.

And when Manchester United entered the World Club Championship, they were a total disgrace. We'll show them how it should be done.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Sun May 29, 2005 2:57 am

The Red Baron wrote:If liverpool cant play in the Champions League,why should we bother playing this.Lets have a policy of no co operation with UEFA and tell them to stick the Supercup as well.

what a stupid thing to say, i will love seeing liverpool take part in these 2 competitions and win them both, collect more silverware and make the liverpool name even bigger in europe why give up these two cups aswell, if we cant get in the champions league which i think we will then why miss out on the chance to be in these competitions too and lose out on extra silverware
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun May 29, 2005 3:49 am

ALONSO_14 wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:If liverpool cant play in the Champions League,why should we bother playing this.Lets have a policy of no co operation with UEFA and tell them to stick the Supercup as well.

what a stupid thing to say, i will love seeing liverpool take part in these 2 competitions and win them both, collect more silverware and make the liverpool name even bigger in europe why give up these two cups aswell, if we cant get in the champions league which i think we will then why miss out on the chance to be in these competitions too and lose out on extra silverware

Nice little trip to Monaco doesnt seem too bad,but a trip to Japan in December! Hopefully we will be challenging for the league at this time and dont need to be playing for some half@rsed trophy 1000s of miles away,at one of the buisiest times in the season.
84-1106852058

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 29, 2005 3:55 am

I dont think the Red Barons comment is so stupid,

Why  should we go and represent Europe in this poxy competiton,
so you think we should do as they say ?
And they may not be willing to let us defend our trophy ?

Plus the 15th of December the most critical part of the season your avin a laugh.

Whats more important for Liverpool making a serious challenge for the premier league.Or flying off to Japan to do PR work for UEFA ?
66-1112520797

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun May 29, 2005 3:59 am

Bamaga man wrote:I dont think the Red Barons comment is so stupid,

Why  should we go and represent Europe in this poxy competiton,
so you think we should do as they say ?
And they may not be willing to let us defend our trophy ?

Plus the 15th of December the most critical part of the season your avin a laugh.

Whats more important for Liverpool making a serious challenge for the premier league.Or flying off to Japan to do PR work for UEFA ?

Exactly!
84-1106852058

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 29, 2005 4:07 am

The December event is only two games and it's a good chance to make an impression with the Japanese market, and has nothing to do with UEFA. It's a FIFA event.

As for UEFA, it's the FA that's screwed Liverpool over. They COULD have placed LFC as their fourth choice for the CL, but they decided that finishing fourth in the league is somehow a bigger achievement that actually winning the CL.

They've done it for two reasons. The FA feel they "owe" Everscum a European Cup place after they lost their 1985 and 1987 chances, and also Brian Berwick is a LFC supporter, so choosing LFC over Everscum would be seen as bias. He's trying to protect his own @$$.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 29, 2005 4:16 am

Doesnt matter how many games they play ,the timing of it is wrong never mind the Japanese market.

We are going there in the summer on a tour anyway.

Plus at the end of the day it is upto UEFA to make that final decision on whether we play in Europe.
Its there competition they should find another place not the FA.
66-1112520797

Postby Galactico » Sun May 29, 2005 4:56 am

Sorry gents but im divided on this for example if we were simply not to turn up what makes you think UEFA will have us back in Europe??(Thats right we wont bother and believe you me they wont bother about us either!!!) You cant simply not turn up even though i do agree it's a pointless tournament and if anything should be played in the off seaon.
Although i feel that the squad would be out there for a week and 2 games against sh1t. I doubt it wouldnt be that detrimental to our season if only our "rated" youths could beat the likes of Burnley the first squad may get the rest they need. But once again i do feel FIFAs timing is lousy

Why Japan? i pressume its Marketing reasons, but for who in general? and What benefits do we actually gain??
Galactico

Postby RedorDead » Sun May 29, 2005 7:41 am

As for UEFA, it's the FA that's screwed Liverpool over. They COULD have placed LFC as their fourth choice for the CL, but they decided that finishing fourth in the league is somehow a bigger achievement that actually winning the CL.

They've done it for two reasons. The FA feel they "owe" Everscum a European Cup place after they lost their 1985 and 1987 chances, and also Brian Berwick is a LFC supporter, so choosing LFC over Everscum would be seen as bias. He's trying to protect his own @$$.

I don't see how anyone can blame the FA, at the start of the season you tell the 20 premier league clubs that the top four qualify for the champions league, if you then change it at the end you totally undermine the domestic league. Why should teams bother to push hard for European places if the FA is going to change the rules. This is a UEFA problem, the winners shouldbe given an automatic place and it is their short sightedness which has resulted in this situation. We will get in I am sure but it will probably involve some sort of play off.

As for the World Club tournament, I think it will be good, I have heard mention of a winter break in the premier league this year so if it falls then it won't affect us at all. Just be a good form of revenue for us and another trophy to play for.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun May 29, 2005 10:17 am

As for the World Club tournament, I think it will be good, I have heard mention of a winter break in the premier league this year so if it falls then it won't affect us at all. Just be a good form of revenue for us and another trophy to play for.

Someone else mentioned that on the forum. My understanding was that Sven had negotiated an earlier end to the season to allow an extra week of preparation for the World Cup as opposed to a winter break. I cant help feeling this tournament will detract from an important time in the Prem next year.

Can anyone clarify the winter break story?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 29, 2005 7:29 pm

.. although the tides in favour of Liverpool defending the title, have gathered pace at the levels it matters.. .. Benitez has said that he will pull the side out of these competitions if Liverlpool are not able to defend their title .. (The Sunday Times)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quimby » Sun May 29, 2005 8:58 pm

I think, although it'll be an extra strain on the squad, it's good money in the coffers and it'll continue to enhance our incredible reputation. If the WCC does take off, it'll be nice to know we competed in it - we don't want to dismiss it like English teams initially did to the European cup. And any touranment that we're in that Man U can only look on with jealousy is always nice :)
Quimby

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion