Reds make bid for babel - According to his agent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Marccc wrote:
metalhead wrote:
bavlondon wrote:So far ive seen nothing but average talk from the Dutch folk on here.

I hope Rafa has this one figured out.

Maybe they are just bitter that we took their best player away  :eyebrow  :D

He is better than zenden and gonzalez for sure, definitly would add good cover to our left side, I have faith in him to do well IF kewell gets injured

Nope I'm not bitter that you taking him away;) I'll support PSV, not Ajax, but he was not that good that PSV wasn't afraid of him at matches against Ajax.  :rasp

Good luck you guys, I'll hope liverpool will sign another player with more 'liverpool quality'!

17,5 million, I still can't believe it! :veryangry

lol i really meant the Ajax fans  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dutchsky » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm

metalhead wrote:
Marccc wrote:
metalhead wrote:
bavlondon wrote:So far ive seen nothing but average talk from the Dutch folk on here.

He is better than zenden and gonzalez for sure, definitly would add good cover to our left side, I have faith in him to do well IF kewell gets injured

Nope I'm not bitter that you taking him away;) I'll support PSV, not Ajax, but he was not that good that PSV wasn't afraid of him at matches against Ajax.  :rasp

Good luck you guys, I'll hope liverpool will sign another player with more 'liverpool quality'!

lol i really meant the Ajax fans 

I think the ajax-fans will be quit happy if ajax gets a 17mil euro boost; so they can scout for better players.

Latest news in dutch media:

"We hebben Ryan Babel nog niet gestrikt, maar we hebben wél toestemming gekregen van Ajax om met de speler te gaan praten", aldus Liverpool-directeur Rick Parry.

"We hopen op zeer korte termijn met Ajax tot een akkoord te komen", laat Parry verder weten. Vooruitlopend op een overeenkomst is Babel naar Liverpool afgereisd voor onder meer een medische keuring.

Summary: Rick Parry says they haven't 'swooped' Babel away from Ajax yet, but he hopes they will close the deal very soon. They have aproval from Ajax to negotiate with Babel.
Babel is in Liverpool for a medical test.

ps: I think Liverpool is buying a new 'Quincy awusu Abeyie'; marked as a talent but no results and also hyped as a ajaxtalent.

by the way: i'm a Feyenoord supporter
Last edited by Dutchsky on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchsky

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:49 pm

i hope so too bav.

ive already shared my reservations on him, and since then yet another dutch person has come on here and said he's not worth that amount.

in a liverpool shirt i'll be behind him 110%. but at the moment i am worried that we could have got so much more for our money
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dutchsky » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
bavlondon wrote:ive already shared my reservations on him, and since then yet another dutch person has come on here and said he's not worth that amount.

in a liverpool shirt i'll be behind him 110%. but at the moment i am worried that we could have got so much more for our money

On the other hand: maybe a transfer to Liverpool would bring out the best of Babel.
But I think best for Babel would be to stay at Ajax for 2 more yrs.
But when your that young it's very hard to say no, when you are offered 500% more salary in a topleague.

ps: Drenthe is thinking about his future and what to do. After winning the u21 final he said there is a big chance of him staying at Feyenoord. The u21 coach said it's best for Drenthe and Babel to play a few more yrs in the dutch league. He don't think they are ready yet for a club like Liverpool or Real Madrid.
(and he would know, he trains/coaches them during u21)
Dutchsky

Postby club_Levis » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Marccc wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Well believe it we paying over the odds for our transfers this season and loosing out on better players...We can only hope though.
club_Levis

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Dutchsky wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:
bavlondon wrote:ive already shared my reservations on him, and since then yet another dutch person has come on here and said he's not worth that amount.

On the other hand: maybe a transfer to Liverpool would bring out the best of Babel.
But I think best for Babel would be to stay at Ajax for 2 more yrs.
But when your that young it's very hard to say no, when you are offered 500% more salary in a topleague.

ps: Drenthe is thinking about his future and what to do. After winning the u21 final he said there is a big chance of him staying at Feyenoord. The u21 coach said it's best for Drenthe and Babel to play a few more yrs in the dutch league. He don't think they are ready yet for a club like Liverpool or Real Madrid.
(and he would know, he trains/coaches them during u21)

The wages is the key.  Thats why so many young players leave france as well.  They get offered so much more and cant say no.
Drenthe looks fantastic, really impressive.  He could replace Carlos art Madrid.
puroresu

Postby parchpea » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:25 pm

The fee looks to be in the region of £10-13m which for a top you forward player is a fair price.

Personal opinions aside, and I only saw him play U21 tournament, Babel is highly rated and sought after by top European clubs and has not only represented his country at U21 but also at full international level.

If you consider that Utd paid £35m combined for two promising young players then all in all our deal is reasonable.

Nani and Anderson are unproven at the highest level and so is Babel but you are sticking your neck out and buying potential.

Its reported that Arsenal where keen on Babel but felt the price too high just now but would reconsider a year from now.

Only time will tell who has made the right move but whatever happens Babel is young and if things dont work out the club could recoup much of the fee they have paid for him no problem.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:26 pm

a bit worrying that we are paying so much for him.
even more worrying is that every dutch poster on here has nothing really positive to say about him

hopefully babel will prove us wrong?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dutchsky » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:36 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:a bit worrying that we are paying so much for him.
even more worrying is that every dutch poster on here has nothing really positive to say about him

hopefully babel will prove us wrong?

Well you could argue that because we're not ajaxfans ;)

But nah..never been a fan of Babel. Don't see his 'out of this world' talent. 
Okay, he is strong and fast. But he hasn't shown much skill in international matches. Perhaps because he is still young. Guess players are considered best at 24 - 29 yrs old.
Dutchsky

Postby hello_red » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Well a few people where moaning how we dont spend big on young talent! Now we have signed Babel, a young talented player who is going places and your all crying how we have spent over the odds. 10 mill for a young player who is already breaking into full international level is fracking good. This Quosimodo bloke from Portugul who says he would be any better than Babel??? Wheres the proof, have you been scouting both players for as long as Liverpool have been? Obviously the scouits have told Rafa what they think and Rafa has decided to go for Babel based on there advice.

Rafa dosnt ever pay over the odds for players he dosnt deem worth it. Think about that before you linch the poor kid.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:45 pm

I'll reserve judgment until I actually see the kid play a few times in the red shirt.  I will say this, though: Rafa is not known for paying over the odds.  That was true when we had very little money to spend but it remains true now that we have the Americans bankrolling the summer spending.  Every transfer this summer has been approached as usual, with an effort to bargain the fee down.  It didn't pan out with Lyon over Malouda and possibly not with Roma over Mancini.  We've seen it with our approaches to West Ham for Benayoun--a slow ratcheting up from 2 million to 4 million to perhaps 5 million.  And, with Torres reports are that we got AM to lower their price quite a bit from the buyout clause figure--partly by throwing Garcia in as a sweetener.  Given that Rafa is still looking to avoid paying over the odds for players, I think this Babel business signals one of two things:

1) The fees being talked about in the press are a good ways off from reality

2) Rafa rates this young lad very, very highly and has big plans for him

Of course, it may be a little of both.  The point is, Rafa seems to want him in a way that he doesn't seem to want Quaresma, for instance (cue the signing of the Portuguese to make me look a t!t :D ).  Time will tell if this turns out to be an inspired transfer (Alonso) or a massive flop (Gonzales).  Point is, I don't think Rafa is the kind to splash the cash on just any young lad now that he's got his fingers in the Yanks' piggy bank.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Feel like he will be a great signin well hoping as we are paying round 13 mil tom hicks just bin on the phone on sp news said the plans for the new stadium released on the 25th of july also said there will be 1 more signing after benayound and babel  :buttrock
Kopite-Jud

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:49 pm

apparently, Hicks has just been on sky sports news and said that we're signing one more player after these 2 (benayoun & babel) and laughed his head off.  :cool:
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:08 pm

why did he laugh ?? ???
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:14 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:apparently, Hicks has just been on sky sports news and said that we're signing one more player after these 2 (benayoun & babel) and laughed his head off.  :cool:

Did you see this yourself or did someone tell you, cos i have been watching it on off today and havent seen anything with Hicks.
Just Benayoun arriving for medical signing autographs.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion