Reds make bid for babel - According to his agent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 pm

aCe' wrote:20 mill euros... SERIOUSLY !
good prospect or not... we cant afford buying players who might or might not make itin a year or two...
manutd already have pretty much al their postions figured out... quality players in al positions and loads of money to spend on players who wont necessarily make the starting 11.
us on the other had still need to figure out our starting 11... we only have 2 out and out wingers - one is almost never fit and the other is still improvin and hasnt proven hes up for the challnge as yet.
we needed atleast one class winger who would mke the starting 11 and maybe a backup... we had the funds to do so but instead we go for BABEL...BABEL....for crying out loud...
not even Ajax and Holland fans think hes any good... we are paying way over the odds for a player who is a big big risk imo !
He is young and has potential but atm what we need is an established winger who would improve our starting 11 and would offer soimething we dont have...Mancini or Alves or Quaresma or even Simao would have been safer bets and would have improved our squad from day1...
poor business ... although i havnt seen much of him i still feel that we would have been better off paying the reported fee on anyof our other targets....
to be honest.... not very sure i trust rafas transfers anymore

I would much rather prefer a 25 year old Quaresema.  His a lot more proven and still hasnt peaked.  Babel at the right price would be fine but 13.5 mil is far too much.
puroresu

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 pm

redmikey wrote:
good prospect or not... we cant afford buying players who might or might not make itin a year or two...
manutd already have pretty much al their postions figured out... quality players in al positions and loads of money to spend on players who wont necessarily make the starting 11.
us on the other had still need to figure out our starting 11... we only have 2 out and out wingers - one is almost never fit and the other is still improvin and hasnt proven hes up for the challnge as yet.
we needed atleast one class winger who would mke the starting 11 and maybe a backup... we had the funds to do so but instead we go for BABEL...BABEL....for crying out loud...
not even Ajax and Holland fans think hes any good... we are paying way over the odds for a player who is a big big risk imo !
He is young and has potential but atm what we need is an established winger who would improve our starting 11 and would offer soimething we dont have...Mancini or Alves or Quaresma or even Simao would have been safer bets and would have improved our squad from day1...
poor business ... although i havnt seen much of him i still feel that we would have been better off paying the reported fee on anyof our other targets....

all the players you quoted would need time to settle in, there is no assurance that any players will settle here so why not buy a player that has the ingredient to be quality and not pay the price that he would cost when at his prime

rafa is buying for the future imho he knows that some of these players aren't going to be ready this season but he can develope them the way manure have brought bambi on ,loads of potential but not ready when he signed

we have some of the best youth in the world at lfc at the moment and that can only be a good thing

and we haven't seen babel play much so how can you judge him yet ?

Im not saying Babel isnt good.  I just question the price.  £6 mil would be fine.  I think Ajax set such a high price as they didnt want to lose him and probably thought no-one would meet there valuation.
puroresu

Postby grayghost » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:05 pm

[just ignore this.
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:07 pm

puroresu wrote:

I would much rather prefer a 25 year old Quaresema.  His a lot more proven and still hasnt peaked.  Babel at the right price would be fine but 13.5 mil is far too much.

IF Rafa is willing to spend the money on him then he must see something in him and hopfully after a couple of games we well see it to 13mil is not that much for players thease days lets give him a chance to prove him self before we say this player is well better and so is this player.
grayghost

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 pm

puroresu wrote:Looks like Drenthe is going to Madrid.  I bet its a lot cheaper than what we are paying for Babel as well.

Drenthe is gonna be an awesome player. He was the star of the dutch u21 world cup win. We should be signing players like him...not babel.

Babel looks a very average player...not sure what rafa sees in him  ???
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 pm

puroresu wrote:

When did this Quaresma love in begin? He seems to have only come to the forefront again in the last 6 months or so after a couple of "nearly" years including coming up short at Barca. Maybe he has found his level in Portugal, by that I mean the level he excels at. I could be wrong of course because I haven't seen enough of him and I don't how many people will have seen enough to make these comments about him being this or being that.

Or of course buying young Portuguese players is maybe the "in" thing these days.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dutchsky » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:17 pm

redmikey wrote:
and we haven't seen babel play much so how can you judge him yet ?

No, but I have. (from Holland)
:)

And he aint that impressive. I wonder if he will ever be. For him I hope so...

U21 he was too egoïstic and he wasn't the star of the tournament. Although dutch media wrote about him as if he was. But that's because of the 'plus' you have when you play for Ajax.
And Ajax is using that benefit atm by overasking a lot :)
Offcourse they don't want to lose him; they don't have a replacement yet. And also de Mul has been sold (right wing) and perhaps Huntelaar is heading for Italy. Sneider could also still be sold.
Dutchsky

Postby NansPanofScouse » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 pm

I dont think he is worth 20 million, but then if he is a sucsess we will soon forget about the money.

You know, i would still prefer Ricardo Quaresma. But that deal looks to have been long buried, its a shame :(
NansPanofScouse

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm

Dutchsky wrote:20 milion euro for a player like Babel is way too much. His stats haven't been great with Ajax.
He's no way near a player like Henry.
Last season: played 2006/07 Ajax 27 matches 5 goals

Ok, he's still young. But he ain't worh 20 mil euro; that would make him the most expensive ajax-player ever. Sneider is much better, and he is worth around 10 mil euro (and Valencia even wouldn't pay that for him).

click here for a overview of ajax players and their worth (not 100% accurate bot close)

Babel has been hyped due to the u21 Euro's (same for Drenthe; although Drenthe did perform better then Babel).

Babel has been appointed to the left wing by Ten Cate (and Koeman b4 him). In his youth teams he played central forward.
He aint doing great as a leftwinger (although Van Basten selects him for that role, and the national dutch side has better options for lw: Robben and Van Persie).

Babel's trademarks are: his speed, and his shot.
But it's always the same trick he plays.

it is starting to worry me slightly, that we're paying way over the odds for this kid.

Yes he does have ability, and yes he does have potential, but £13.5mil is a lot of money for someone as young and unproven and raw as him. - Especially when Drenthe (a better player in many peoples eyes) is going for half that amount.

Every single Ajax fan who has com on here is saying the same thing. He's good, but not £13mil good. £6-8mil would be a definate yes, and a very useful addition to the squad as a young back-up for kewell...

... but for £13mil... I'd have rather made Quaresma a top target and gone after him with a couple of million pound more.

We were saying all last season we had enough squad players, and what we wanted was quality not quantity.

I'm not saying dont get him, i like him, i just think anything in double figures is too much for him.

its a bit like someone bidding £15mil for guthrie or Hammill. They maybe good, young, promising players but not quite worth that amount.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:34 pm

stmichael wrote:
puroresu wrote:

When did this Quaresma love in begin? He seems to have only come to the forefront again in the last 6 months or so after a couple of "nearly" years including coming up short at Barca. Maybe he has found his level in Portugal, by that I mean the level he excels at. I could be wrong of course because I haven't seen enough of him and I don't how many people will have seen enough to make these comments about him being this or being that.

Or of course buying young Portuguese players is maybe the "in" thing these days.

not sure where ur tryin to go with this but Quaresma at is a much much better player than Babel is...
i doubt Babel will ever become the player Quaresma is now at 25 or so...
im not saying babel is shiitty or anything...im just sayin that you dont go out and buy a player who has potential but isnt quite the done deal yet when u have a shortage in a position...
no one knows that babel's price will double in a couple of years... some around here seem to take that for a given...
he has never shown anything beyond the ordinary and form iv seen of him looks like an average young player who might or might not turn into a top class wing forward or forward...
in terms of ability...all the players i mentioned are far superior  to Babel and from that standpoint i think theyd probably get into the starting 11 faster than Babel would... 
it was said (redmikey) that they might need time to settle but same with babel so not much of an argument there !

puroresu probably put it in better wording... if the price is right then why not but at the reported price i think we should have gone for a better player and not a prospect...

its liverpool not westham... youth devlopment is not the clubs top priority... challenging for the title is... if we keep buying youth at the expense of getting our starting 11 figured out we wont be challenging for the title anytime soon

ps... i have seen quaresma play atleast 5 or 6 times this season and he has looked like class whenver he played... a little more discipline and he can easily become one of the best wingers in world football !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marccc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:31 pm

I have saw him many times playing in the Dutch League, and I can tell you, he is really playing like sh*t. In one season, 5 goals and 5 assists. That's is not pretty much for an attacker.

He has some nice moves, but he is'nt a killer on the goal. @ Holland sub-21 he played not very well.

I can't understand Liverpool bid so much. I think PSV's Arouna Koné or Quaresma are better options.

Sorry for my english! I'm Dutch!
Marccc

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:32 pm

I know i said i won't post about babel anymore..but the info i get from my source is that we have signed him already .....  :(

So thats it...babel is apparantly the top-class winger rafa was toking about @ Torres' press conference...

I don't like it....but hey...have to support the club.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 pm

So far ive seen nothing but average talk from the Dutch folk on here.

I hope Rafa has this one figured out.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:35 pm

bavlondon wrote:So far ive seen nothing but average talk from the Dutch folk on here.

Maybe they are just bitter that we took their best player away  :eyebrow  :D

He is better than zenden and gonzalez for sure, definitly would add good cover to our left side, I have faith in him to do well IF kewell gets injured
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marccc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:39 pm

metalhead wrote:
bavlondon wrote:So far ive seen nothing but average talk from the Dutch folk on here.

Maybe they are just bitter that we took their best player away  :eyebrow  :D

He is better than zenden and gonzalez for sure, definitly would add good cover to our left side, I have faith in him to do well IF kewell gets injured

Nope I'm not bitter that you taking him away;) I'll support PSV, not Ajax, but he was not that good that PSV wasn't afraid of him at matches against Ajax.  :rasp

Good luck you guys, I'll hope liverpool will sign another player with more 'liverpool quality'!

17,5 million, I still can't believe it! :veryangry

Sorry for my english! I'm Dutch!
Marccc

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion