Reds in with stelios bid

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:21 pm

Stellios isn't the type of player that I would like us to sign here at Liverpool. To me he offers the same a Nunez and is in the Nunez catergory of player. He would be a useful addition to Liverpool, but only as a squad player (imo). He doesn't offer us what we don't have in my opinion, but at £1.7million as I read above that isn't bad, but if we are ever going to become a dominant force then we need slightly better players than Stellios. As far as Bolo Zenden goes he is a talented player and has had two outstanding seasons with Boro, but I call him a mercenary, and that is what I think Zenden is, a mercenary. Although he is a good player and all I still feel that he is a mercenary,a nd he is one player that I don't want to sign.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
john craig wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:Zenden on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, he's not even half the player he used to be when at Chelsea.

Don't agree with that at all mate, Zenden has had 2 very good seasons with boro, even excelling in centre mid which is not his preferred position.

At chelsea he was in and out of the side and struggled to find the form he had at barcelona.

Zenden would be a better squad man than stelios IMO.He is more versatile and can fill in at left back and centre mid as well as left wing.

We do need a bigger squad though and if we can bring in both zenden and stelios who are consistent decent players proven in the prem and at international level, and both available on the cheap, then why not?

Our best 11 can beat the best on their day, its the squad that needs beefing up

fair enough mate, you make a good point baout his versatility, I just think he is on the slide that's all, personally I favour Stelios, some will disagree, some won't.

Zenden would still do a better job than Kewell at the minute though.   :D

Think you or I would do a better job than kewell at the moment :D

In all seriousness though, I hope he comes good this season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:06 pm

I think he'd be a superb buy for the money quoted. He's a cracking player that'll run himself stupid over 90 mins. He could do on the right exactly what Risse has been doing for us on the left - relentlessly take on the full back, and get in crosses that count every time he beats his man.

Okay, he may well be exposed as limited against top quality opposition, but he'll tire out defences if he's on from the start, and he'll expose tired defences when he's a sub. Plus, he'll chip in with goals from midfield, which is essential if we're going to get a league campaign together.

I'd go so far as to say that he's been bought for the first team. He's not a showy player, but when we're talking about someone like Kewell being an allegedly showy player, we'll get bags more value out of Stelios over the forthcoming season than we've had from Harry over the last two.

Oh, and for those questioning selling Smicer and signing him...his best beats Smicer's best, any day of the week.
ivor_the_injun

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:24 pm

I agree that Stelios is much better and experienced than Nunez.Can anyone tell me the reason we bought him???
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfclfclfc » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:29 pm

definitely a decent squad player. some may compared him to smicer and biscan who had a decent season bit part season. My take is that stelios is a much more consistent contributor who works hard week in week out, steadies the team and chips in the occasional goal. I say a good buy at under 2mil.
lfclfclfc

Postby RedorDead » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:36 pm

I agree that Stelios is much better and experienced than Nunez.Can anyone tell me the reason we bought him???

He came as part of the Michael Owen deal.

As for Stellios I think I slagged him off a few weeks back when these rumours surfaced but having thought about it I think he would be an excellent addition. He was one of the best players for Bolton last year, Bolton who finished level with us on ppoints!!! He has experience, two good feet and works very hard...he is on reflection exactly the sort of player we missed last season and I do not mind admitting that I judged him too harshly and would welcome his signing. Not too keen on Zenden mind.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:36 pm

Nunez is a pretty skilful young-ish player, but he just doesn't cut it in the Premier League. Life's like that sometimes.

After a string of bad performances, I'm sure his confidence was shot to pieces, and he's simply not been able to get any kind of form together. He's almost been running at people with the ball expecting to be tackled, which is obviously not what you want from a wide player.

I'd like to think that Rafa has maybe got him together over the summer break, but I'm far from hopeful for an Igor-like revival, if I'm honest. :(
ivor_the_injun

Postby A.B. » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:15 pm

Rafa wanted Juanfran during the Owen deal but Madrid threw in Nunez, their reserve player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:39 pm

I thnk Stelios is a good buy.  He's a tough little guy who gives his all.  Sometimes last year we didn't seem to have much fight against the more physical teams, with some of the spanish lads especially moaning about how tough the EPL is.  A player like Stelios will love a bit of a physical fight.

I think he could prove a lot pf people wrong... bloody hope so anyway!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:43 pm

A bit of diferent experience sometimes helps. I mean look at Gary Macca in 1999. Are you telling me people wernt asking the same questions when he signed. ???? ???? I think 2005/2006 is gonna bring in some more trophies.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:37 pm

The only positive you can take from any Stelios deal is that he is better than Nunez, but hey, who isnt. In all honesty he is not the kind of signing we had hoped for, and in truth Rafa would surely love to be shopping elswhere. I can only imagine that any deal will be done as part of the Diouf thing, or we simply cannot afford anyone better right now. The lad just will not improve our first 11.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:08 pm

I find this assumption that every Liverpool supporter will only be happy if we bid for 20m superstars such as E'to, Figo, Ballack etc puzzling. I have long advocated the purchase of some good, solid performers who do it week in, week out.
Steve Finnan is a fine example of the type of player I am referring to, a good rock-solid pro. Stelios is no mug, he plays for a team who finished level with us last season and Internationally he won the European Championships so he will hardly look out of his depth in our team. Bring him on I say.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:24 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:f*ckin sick of chelsea chasing every dogs dick under the sun

Ha ha. I've never heard that one before.

I can just see Mourinho chasing the lipstick.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 am

bigmick wrote:I find this assumption that every Liverpool supporter will only be happy if we bid for 20m superstars such as E'to, Figo, Ballack etc puzzling. I have long advocated the purchase of some good, solid performers who do it week in, week out.
Steve Finnan is a fine example of the type of player I am referring to, a good rock-solid pro. Stelios is no mug, he plays for a team who finished level with us last season and Internationally he won the European Championships so he will hardly look out of his depth in our team. Bring him on I say.

Well said.  :) Excellent example in Finnan as well.

Bottom line is that players with high profile endorsements and top dollar lifestyles will have to perform to a much higher standard and on a more regular basis than a well-regarded, battling player in order to keep the fans happy.

Example? Poster boy Kewell - allegedly on £60k per week. Figo is doing the rounds at the moment expecting £120k per week for his services.

Stelios? Will probably be signed for £30k per week. Is the occasional neat stepover or a firecracker free kick every 3 months really worth double, or even quadruple the amount you'd be paying for a livewire, reliable, meat-and-spuds player?

It's all relative. We have money at our disposal, but we don't have wizard's pockets like Chelsea. They can afford anyone and everyone, but that doesn't mean that there aren't cheaper, less glossy alternatives out there that won't ultimately offer better value for money.
ivor_the_injun

Postby skipper » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:14 am

policy wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:f*ckin sick of chelsea chasing every dogs dick under the sun

Ha ha. I've never heard that one before.

I can just see Mourinho chasing the lipstick.

:laugh:
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion