REAL MADRID VS LIVERPOOL - Champions league 1st k/o round

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:10 am

honestly, if Liverpool were to only win one, i would rather see the team winning the Champions League, as long as a spot for CL is guaranteed for the following year. to me, Champs league is more prestigious as more people worldwide would be watching the CL finals than the league's last game.
but of course, i too would like to see Liverpool winning the doubles this year.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."
Kurt Cobain
kan

Postby TheRedsFan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 am

Owzat wrote:I'm surprised so many people want us to "get a result", we've blamed Rafa for prioritising this over the league in the past few seasons and yet people on here can't let go of the competition either.

Well it is the most important club tournament in the world
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly
TheRedsFan

Postby Effes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:03 pm

kan wrote:honestly, if Liverpool were to only win one, i would rather see the team winning the Champions League, as long as a spot for CL is guaranteed for the following year. to me, Champs league is more prestigious as more people worldwide would be watching the CL finals than the league's last game.
but of course, i too would like to see Liverpool winning the doubles this year.

Even though Man United are close to our League Titles total?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes it's all opinions but for me there is absolutely no comparison. The Premiership is what it's all about this season for me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Teaki bar tv Lala, stalk her on the internet :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 pm

mistyred wrote:Teaki bar tv Lala, stalk her on the internet :D

misty is jibbering again. he's most likely foaming at the mouth also

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Judge wrote:
mistyred wrote:Teaki bar tv Lala, stalk her on the internet :D

misty is jibbering again. he's most likely foaming at the mouth also

:D

Watch the clip St Mike posted Lol, and then Search Laura Doucette  :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vikingone » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Have anyone been in the Dainese and Alpinestar Shop named "Gutengmotor" in Madrid? I've heard several times that they've fantastic prizes.
Last edited by vikingone on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vikingone

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm

VDV is running his mouth saying we're scared of madrid , i really hope we do em . Champions league is our cup of tea and we should get a result
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:15 am

bigmick wrote:Yes it's all opinions but for me there is absolutely no comparison. The Premiership is what it's all about this season for me.

:nod  Not to bothed about the champs league aswel really want the premiership title..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:57 am

Madmax wrote:
bigmick wrote:Yes it's all opinions but for me there is absolutely no comparison. The Premiership is what it's all about this season for me.

:nod  Not to bothed about the champs league aswel really want the premiership title..

Same for me, the Champions League is a "been there, done that and bought the T-shirt" which says it all. We've won it, the mancs won it twice so it can't be that difficult and the one we want to win they've won something like 10 times so feck the Champions League.

But as I pointed out earlier in this thread I'm sure, a lot of people on here still discuss "getting a result" etc. I seem to recall a lot less people giving a $h1t about the FA Cup and League Cups so obviously Rafa isn't the only one who could stand accused of not prioritising the Premiership.

I think in a way it's a no-win situation. If we're in the Champions League it's a distraction and drain on our resources, if we don't get into the Champions League then we're too far behind in the Premiership to catch it. In other words I don't think winning the Premiership is easy when we're in the Champions League, but if we're not in it then we're probably too far behind the title contenders to win it anyway.

I've said this for other teams, you have to have a good squad and a big squad to cope with Europe, the money you get from Europe is spent on getting a good and big squad to cope with injuries incurred through the extra games Europe brings. Same with the whinging Smeegel and others have over the African Cup of Nations or Internationals, you want quality players but when you buy them you know what price you will pay because they will be called up and if they are African they may well play in the African Cup of Nations. I'll be interested to see how Ashley Young does next season when playing Internationals and Europe takes its toll on him which, playing for Watford before, it wouldn't have. There is a theory going around that Torres and others involved are tired because of the Euros and practically no rest for over a year.

This is Rafa's fifth season, if we go out to Real Madrid then Liverpool will have played 292 games under him by the end of the season - that's an average of 58 games a season. Add to that Internationals played by some of our squad, and the travel involved, and that's a lot for players to cope with and still perform. I continued with that stat because I was going to breakdown Rafa's 277 games so far by competiton :-

177 Premiership (63.90%)
66 Champions League (23.83%)
30 FA Cup & League Cup (10.83%) - 15 in each competition
4 other competions (1.44%) - UEFA Super Cup, Club World Championship & Community Shield

Still that's going to be a minimum 13.6 Champions League games a season and if we reach the final it's a maximum of 14.6 games a season. That's 1/3 of a Premiership season worth of games on top of the Premiership season. Domestic cups only work out at six a season between them which isn't so bad having reached two finals and won one. But the point is that the Champions League is too easy to get to the last eight or four and thus our biggest drain in terms of extra games. If we could finish second it would knock two games (qualifiers) off the season.

But expectation is there to get so far in it, and once you reach that point it's hard not to think you can win it. So how do you treat the Champions League in order to prioritise the Premiership? I think I'd rather we lost to Real Madrid and mounted a title bid, than go an extra round or two and start thinking perhaps the Champions League is a more realistic target and want that instead. I want us to win the Premiership, but if we reach the semis of the Champions League it would be hard not to want to go all the way having got so close. In a way I hate UEFA for opening the competition to non-champions, I think that made winning the Premiership harder for other teams like ourselves. Time for a poll methinks
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm

There is a massive financial incentive to do well in champions league. Our success in future EPL seasons is intrisically linked to how successful we are in champions league. The league title is the priority but we simply can't afford to no take champions league just as seriously
DanAn

Postby kan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 am

Effes wrote:Even though Man United are close to our League Titles total?

you must remember though, i'm a foreigner and may have different views.
Around me, people are more likely to remember the Champions League Champion than they would for National League titles. so that's why i tend to rank the CL as more prestigious.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."
Kurt Cobain
kan

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:02 am

kan wrote:
Effes wrote:Even though Man United are close to our League Titles total?

you must remember though, i'm a foreigner and may have different views.
Around me, people are more likely to remember the Champions League Champion than they would for National League titles. so that's why i tend to rank the CL as more prestigious.

Sure Kan, in many football circles the Champions League is considered bigger. Most probably even in England some teams consider it bigger (the Mancs probably would if we were our usual fourth and twenty points behind).

It's just that we have a somewhat peculiar history with the league and everything that surrounds it, while we've been pretty successful in the Champions League recently. It's a strange situation, but my guess is almost every Liverpool fan would trade a Champions League success this season for a Premirship win.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 pm

mistyred wrote:stalk her on the internet :D

Did someone say stalk?  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion