Real liverpool - Worries over the identity of liverpool f

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:11 am

i've been a liverpol fan for years but now i am at a loss. liver has always been a strong english side in the same time being "english". of course it should have been "irish" but i am not dreaming any more.

what we are gonna have now is REAL LIVERPOOL with 2/3 of all first squad players representing spanish speaking countries. it worries me because it is important (at least for fans like me) to have english/irish players in the squad in the first place.

benitez has led liver to glory but he has also messed up the team. what should come first? glory or the true identity of liver? i belive the spaniards are good but dont we have good english players (like stevie) to invite? i hate to see import coaches invite players who speak their language ...  :no
ian_gow

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:15 am

WTF ....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:34 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:WTF ....

is that all you can say on my post?
ian_gow

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:36 am

Good question Ian, one that has been touched upon many times and the jury is still out. Like yourself I sometimes wonder about the identity of our team as fewer and few home grown players turn out for us (I include all of uk and ireland in home grown) . On the other hand if say the brazilian national team decided to sign for us would I be bothered ? No I fu'ckin' wouldn't  :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:39 am

I always like to see a few British or Irish lads in the team, however it's the way of Englsih football these days that more and more foreign players are fillling up starting elevens of all clubs in the EPL.

But to touch on woof's points, if we won the League and European Cup with a team of Spaniards, Brazilians or whatever I wouldn't really be too bothered.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:59 am

Premiership football is the most watched football today. The following across the globe is massive and the reality of today games is that you try to get the best players regardless of race and creed if u want to compete among the elite e.g. with the exception of SWP and Duff (UK players) some of the best wingers come from the La Liga i.e Vicente, Joaquin etc.

If we, as fans want LFC to compete at the very highest level we need to have the best and at the cheapest price possible and to truly have a global brand, we do need a global fan base. Like it or not that the way football is going. We can either jump on the bandwagon or be left behind. To me LFC is too big for that. It has too much history. We are among the elite. There is no turning back.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:06 am

i see your point lads and it may sound weird to you but i dont think that premiership represents british football (nowadays). frankly, i prefer coca cola because it is still british in all respects. i love it. teams like sheffield utd etc are just great in my eyes. sheffield is even more celtic than CELTIC FC! :D

anyway, 3-4 brits in liver would suffice but i am afraid that it wont be that way next season ... with lucj we will have 2 : stevie and caragher. few but powerful.
ian_gow

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:18 am

make that Carragher and Finnan FULL STOP.  Stevie is on his way boys... he doesn't want to be at Liverpool next season. OR Liverpool don't want him next season.....
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:18 am

If Rafa brings success to the club I don't care, he is signing spanish players because he doesn't know the british market so he buys what he know, with time I'm sure you'll see more british players in the side :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:25 am

As long as they have passion and committment to the club and team they can all come from outer Mongolia as far im concerned.
Though my preference is for some home grown stars because i do believe that you need at least a cadre of British stars in your team to be successful in domestic competitoin (there always exceptions to the rule ala Arsenal). Though of course with the price tag and fact alot of home grown stars feel then need to play abroad you cant really blame the club if your team does end up looking like the Legion.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:36 am

for me as a fan it is painful to see that liver is losing english players ..
ian_gow

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:40 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:make that Carragher and Finnan FULL STOP.  Stevie is on his way boys... he doesn't want to be at Liverpool next season. OR Liverpool don't want him next season.....

He maybe he will sign... sorry I was just a bit depressed over all the negative speculation in the media this morning...  Positive Metal Attitude.....  Everyone think he will sign and, who knows!!!!!

Sorry Guys for being so negative....
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:43 am

no committment from the part of spaniards can compensate the loss of our gem players (stevie, caragher, etc). + i do not believe that you need imports to win the CL. i like the way MU deal with that. of course they have many imports but their first 11 is comprised mainly of brits. my respect goes out to sir ferguson. MU is the most british team in premiership (out of top 5).
ian_gow

Postby laza » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:47 am

ian_gow wrote:no committment from the part of spaniards can compensate the loss of our gem players (stevie, caragher, etc). + i do not believe that you need imports to win the CL. i like the way MU deal with that. of course they have many imports but their first 11 is comprised mainly of brits. my respect goes out to sir ferguson. MU is the most british team in premiership (out of top 5).

Maybe you should go support them then as your posts are beginning to have real familiar drone about them
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ian_gow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 am

no offense lads. i am neither a racist nor an MU fan. i supoprt LFC and celtic fc. celtic first but i ve always had a soft spot for LFC.:;):
ian_gow

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion