READING VS LIVERPOOL - The build up and the aftermath...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 am

I got shtick for leaving Yossi on the bench and then you go and leave out Gerrard and Torress too! my God have mercy on your soul s@aint  :D
JoeTerp

Postby lio » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Triple Injury Boost For Rafa

Rafael Benitez has been handed a triple injury boost with the news that Xabi Alonso, Daniel Agger and Fabio Aurelio could be back for what promises to be one of the biggest weeks in the club's season so far.
The Reds boss revealed the trio are close to a return and added the club's medical staff will be assessing their fitness at Melwood on a daily basis. Jamie Carragher has also recovered from his bruised ribs and is line to play at Reading on Saturday.

"Alonso trained today and is very close to a return. Agger is closer as well and Fabio could be back," commented Benitez.

"Carra is okay and he can play at the weekend."

Despite crunch matches coming up against Marseille and Manchester United, Benitez is adamant his players will be fully focused on keeping up the pressure at the top of the table when they visit Reading this weekend.

Having scored 21 goals in their last five matches Liverpool are in a rich vein of form, and the boss admits he would be more than happy with a repeat of the scoreline that saw Fernando Torres fire a hat-trick in the Carling Cup tie back in September.

"I always think of one game at a time and the players know how important this match at Reading is," added the Reds boss.

"We need to be focused in every game and we want to keep the pressure up on the other teams.

"We have experience against Reading. I remember when we won 4-2 at Reading in the Carling Cup this season and people said it was an easy game. It wasn't. I remember watching the video of the game after the game and they gave us some problems, and it won't be easy. It will be a tough game against a side with a very good team spirit."

Today we got some team stability, on a winning streak and so little talk about R.
But with the above returning (plus Pennant on the way), we need to accommodate these ex-1st choice starters and I really fear we might once again fall back to those heart-breaking days as in the beginning of this season. Those were times when at every match our players on the field were looking at each other as were like ‘strangers in the night’. Well hope I’m wrong here.
lio

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I got shtick for leaving Yossi on the bench and then you go and leave out Gerrard and Torress too! my God have mercy on your soul s@aint  :D

:laugh:  I argued in the rotation thread that we shouldn't rotate Torres or Gerrard and then I leave them out of my team. I think I deserve any stick I get  :D

I think these are very special circumstances, we have a must win game against Marseille, and even though I hate the mancs and would much rather us win the league than the CL, its the Marseille game which has to be the most important at this time.

A draw away against Reading followed by 2 wins would be a very satisfactory outcome in my opinion. Obviously I would prefer 3 wins but if we have to gamble in one game it has to be against Reading.

I think the side I picked would be good enough to beat Reading anyway (just)
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:16 pm

I think it is good enough too S@aint, I like Kewell in that role and the fact that you suggested that he switch with Babel I like.  I was thinking that when Pennant is back, we will have a pretty attacking Gerrard free option (just in case) with Pennant on the right, Masch or Alonso holding Kewell on the left Yossi as an attacking midfield with babel and Torres up front, with Aurelio and Arbeloa at fullbacks I couldn't think of a more fluid way to give Stevie G a rest (if he needed it or if it was forced upon us)
JoeTerp

Postby skatesy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:13 pm

As a result of the fact that Arsenal dropped two points again Newcastle, I think that this game is huge. We need the three points here.
skatesy

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:26 pm

I'd go for:

Reina

Arbeloa
Hyypia
Carragher
Finnan

Kewell
Mascherano
Gerrard
Benayoun

Kuyt
Torres

I think we could well likely see a completely different line-up, probably with Momo and/or Voronin figuring somewhere.

Reading are a well organised team with plenty of hard workers, pace in areas and the odd quality player here or there. Coppell wil have dones his homework this time, and I don't think we'll see a Reading side playing quite so high up. They won't give us the time and space on this occasion.

I think we'll need Benayoun for this one, he's a space infiltrator, and I think we'll need him for the reason explained above ^.

I think Babel would be suited to coming off the bench in this one. He's still adapting to the nimble nature of the EPL and pace from the bench is always an asset in the latter stages of games.
LFC2007

Postby skatesy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Seeing as how Torres ran Reading into the ground with three goals last time that Liverpool played them, I think he should start again.

The only thing that makes me say that somewhat hesitantly is because of the fact that we need to drill Marseille on Tuesday.
skatesy

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm

5-0.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:34 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:5-0.

you almost got the last one right  :D

Does anyone fancy Hobbs to play?  I think he should get a game against reading, maybe not to risk carragher because of two upcoming important games coming up.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:28 am

REINA
   FINNAN    ARBELOA   HYPPIA   RIISE
   BENAYOUN    SISSOKO   LUCAS  KEWELL
                  TORRES
                                VORONIN

ie....save crouch, gerrard, mash for the all important marseille match.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:09 am

Gerrard and Torres must start take them off when we are cruising 3-0  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby username » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 am

Renia
  Finnan    Agger/Hobbs   Hyppia   Arbeloa
  Yossi    Gerrard/Lucas   Mascha  Kewell
               Torres   Crouch

Should be able to beat reading.
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:03 am

These pair of gobsh!tes might make an appearance again  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Just so so wrong that picture is horrible.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:11 am

Ciggy-Why did you have to remind me of those two b@stards? :angry:
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby europian-kings » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:25 am

Owzat wrote:
europian-kings wrote:
Lee J wrote:I have this feeling rafa will rest Torres.

he should't do.
ssemign as he scored a hatrik against them in the cup.

if he does i will be surprised.

08/12/07 Reading vs Liverpool (5.15ko)
11/12/07 MARSEILLE vs LIVERPOOL (7.45ko)

Which do you think is more important? Which will Rafa? Given roughly three days between the end of the first and beginning of the second, Liverpool have to win, and that Liverpool have to fly to Marseille and prepare, I think resting is a probability.

But we could still beat Reading, depends how much Rafa rests players. If our FA cared we'd have played this Friday night, tonight or Saturday lunchtime, obviously they only cancel or reaarange fixtures for the mancs. I saw Arsenal are playing tonight, we do have a game in hand as well. We could play tonight easily, no different to any other midweek game and it would give us more time to prepare for the Champions League.

still.....players have proven time and time again that they can play alot of games in a short space of time and after scoring 3 goals in the last fixture against them it wuld be a silly decision...expecially if he is supposivlly 'wanting to the the pl' this season.

reading away without torres wouldn't be easy.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion