Reading vs. liverpool - carling cup - 25/09/2007 - The madejski stadium – 7.45 pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:13 pm

This isn't so much a competition as a distraction from more important games. It's way too early in the season to have a domestic cup competition, it's all but over by the time the FA Cup gets going. I'm beginning to think the teams in Europe should be excused.

And for any fans of the competition remember we had to play a Carling Cup Quarter Final days after an FA Cup tie - ridiculous. I think we might not have made the Champions League final had the team stayed in one or other competition
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:17 pm

Owzat wrote:This isn't so much a competition as a distraction from more important games. It's way too early in the season to have a domestic cup competition, it's all but over by the time the FA Cup gets going. I'm beginning to think the teams in Europe should be excused.

And for any fans of the competition remember we had to play a Carling Cup Quarter Final days after an FA Cup tie - ridiculous. I think we might not have made the Champions League final had the team stayed in one or other competition

But surely we have the strength and depth regarding our squad to ensure our top players dont have to play a full 90mins.

Being excused from this comp just because were in Europe is no different from the arrogant mancs pulling out of the FA cup a few years ago.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:
Owzat wrote:This isn't so much a competition as a distraction from more important games. It's way too early in the season to have a domestic cup competition, it's all but over by the time the FA Cup gets going. I'm beginning to think the teams in Europe should be excused.

But surely we have the strength and depth regarding our squad to ensure our top players dont have to play a full 90mins.

Being excused from this comp just because were in Europe is no different from the arrogant mancs pulling out of the FA cup a few years ago.

Take away the 1st choice XI and our side isn't bad, but we have too many games.

I'm not talking about Liverpool being in some way excused like the mancs were, I'm talking about the competition being for teams who aren't already playing three competitions. To Reading say this is one of three competitions (League, FA Cup and Carling Cup), to Liverpool, Spudz, Chelsea etc this is those three plus Europe. We have the squads but does having a competition few teams take seriously worth it?

If you say the Carling Cup is a noble competition, like it was back when we won it four times in a row, then I'll ask if you are on the S*y payroll. Back then a competition was played for the prestige, now even the Champions League is a TV-fest of unneccessary matches. Liverpool play six group games when to get two from four you need to play a head to head home and away. ie we play six games when it needs only two.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:42 pm

Owzat wrote:

I'm not talking about Liverpool being in some way excused like the mancs were, I'm talking about the competition being for teams who aren't already playing three competitions. To Reading say this is one of three competitions (League, FA Cup and Carling Cup), to Liverpool, Spudz, Chelsea etc this is those three plus Europe. We have the squads but does having a competition few teams take seriously worth it?

If you say the Carling Cup is a noble competition, like it was back when we won it four times in a row, then I'll ask if you are on the S*y payroll. Back then a competition was played for the prestige, now even the Champions League is a TV-fest of unneccessary matches. Liverpool play six group games when to get two from four you need to play a head to head home and away. ie we play six games when it needs only two.

i love this cup we've won it 7 times thats more than anyone else.

We would get more fans at this game if it was at home than chelsea would to any of thier champions league group games.

Fans want to watch the team.

I agree thier are more important games but we'd all love a day out at the final.

It's always been a "money making cup" it's origins were to maximise weekday games under floodlights in the 50's

If playing this game means i can get a ticket to see my beloved Reds when most of the time it's damn near impossible then i applaud the carling cup.
Last edited by Ian Rush's Right foot on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Virtually impossible to predict who Rafa will play next , wouldn't be suprised to see this lot tonight.

.                                         Itandje

.      Finnan           Carragher                Hobbs         Riise

.      Banayoun        Sissoko               Levia           Leto

Babel
.                                  Crouch

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Owzat wrote:

i love this cup we've won it 7 times thats more than anyone else.

We would get more fans at this game if it was at home than chelsea would to any of thier champions league group games.

Fans want to watch the team.

I agree thier are more important games but we all love a day out at the final.

and if playing this game means i can get a ticket to see my beloved Reds when most of the time it's damn near impossible then i applaud the carling cup.

I've probably summed up my feelings better in the poll thread and I'm running out of lunchbreak. Basically we're playing in THREE different competitions in the space of seven/eight days and we want to win the league, Champions League and you're saying we should also want to win the Carling Cup because of PAST glories? There's too many games these days and the Carling Cup comes at a very stupid time, clearly to fill in the TV schedule for companies like S*y and Sultana. We don't know if we'll still be in the Champions League come February or in title contention, setting out our stall to achieve a "day out" final this early in the season is ridiculous, there are too many games (about sixty in each of Rafa's three seasons in charge) and we can't win everything.

I haven't said I don't want us to win, I don't mind if we lose but I will be p1ssed off if we lose key players by playing them in the early stages of the fourth most important trophy. We fielded weakened sides in previous seasons and reached one final, you simply can't predict how kind the draw will be so even if we play our strongest XI and win then we might draw Chelsea then Newcastle then Arsenal and then the mancs in the semis. It's simply one competition too many to juggle, you remember it fondly for what it was. These days sadly it is just another trophy and an unwelcome distraction for most sides

I'm not sure if I'll even sympathise with fans buying tickets for what may prove to be a reserves match (could be any game) Perhaps this should officially be called the Carling Reserves Cup
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:25 pm

I've probably summed up my feelings better in the poll thread and I'm running out of lunchbreak. Basically we're playing in THREE different competitions in the space of seven/eight days and we want to win the league, Champions League and you're saying we should also want to win the Carling Cup because of PAST glories? There's too many games these days and the Carling Cup comes at a very stupid time, clearly to fill in the TV schedule for companies like S*y and Sultana. We don't know if we'll still be in the Champions League come February or in title contention, setting out our stall to achieve a "day out" final this early in the season is ridiculous, there are too many games (about sixty in each of Rafa's three seasons in charge) and we can't win everything.

I haven't said I don't want us to win, I don't mind if we lose but I will be p1ssed off if we lose key players by playing them in the early stages of the fourth most important trophy. We fielded weakened sides in previous seasons and reached one final, you simply can't predict how kind the draw will be so even if we play our strongest XI and win then we might draw Chelsea then Newcastle then Arsenal and then the mancs in the semis. It's simply one competition too many to juggle, you remember it fondly for what it was. These days sadly it is just another trophy and an unwelcome distraction for most sides

I'm not sure if I'll even sympathise with fans buying tickets for what may prove to be a reserves match (could be any game) Perhaps this should officially be called the Carling Reserves Cup

Listen i'm not saying we should field our best 11 players to ensure we win the most important game of the season against Reading!!

and I hope and expect a "weakened side" if thats what you want to call a team with strenght and depth.

I'm just saying that, i will be behind My team in whatever compitition they are in, and i mind if we lose as i expect most fans will do.

Remember the game is for the fans,

and I'm pretty sure Rafa doesn't see this as a reserve game.
Last edited by Ian Rush's Right foot on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm very annoyed that Torres has been included. I really hope he gets no action tonight. We need him for Wigan on Saturday, in waht I think is an extremely important game, one in which 3 points is vital.
I would like to see Babel start up front, with Crouch playing alongside him. Also, it's a good idea to give other reserves a go, including the keeper.

I would like us to win the Carling Cup, but if we are not to win it, hopefully we can lose tonight rather than in the Semi's and then we won't have to worry about injury problems. Imagine what the reaction will be like if Torres starts and gets injured, and as a result is out for 6 months :angry:
Graeme Noble

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:27 pm

This would be my team....

Itandje

.      Arbeloa         Carragher            Hobbs         Insua

.      Banayoun        Sissoko            Levia           Leto

Voronin
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:31 pm

The_Rock wrote:This would be my team....

Itandje

Voronin

I don't think Vorinin has been included in the squad.

BBC sport says this is the squad tonight,

Liverpool (from): Itandje, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hobbs, Hyypia, Riise, Aurelio, Benayoun, Sissoko, Lucas, Leto, Insua, Crouch, Torres, Babel, Finnan, El Zahr, Darby, Martin.
Graeme Noble

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Graeme Noble wrote:
The_Rock wrote:This would be my team....

Itandje

Voronin

I don't think Vorinin has been included in the squad.

BBC sport says this is the squad tonight,

Liverpool (from): Itandje, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hobbs, Hyypia, Riise, Aurelio, Benayoun, Sissoko, Lucas, Leto, Insua, Crouch, Torres, Babel, Finnan, El Zahr, Darby, Martin.

Don't tell me Kuyt and Voronin are gonna start against wigan ??? Ah well....i am not going there again....  :p

Would hate to see Torres in this match...... so will pick babel.

Itandje

babel
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:03 pm

I missed the deadline for Fantasy Rafa :( I have only just got in from work. Anyway I am going for the exact same team that finished the Birmingham match :D
destro

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:22 pm

My prediction for tonights team is the following:

Itandje

Finnan
Carra
Hobbs
Insua (or maybe Aurelio if he's ready to play from begin on)

Benayoun
Momo
Lucas
Leto

Torres
Crouch

Subs:
Martin
Darby
Hyypia
Arbeloa
Aurelio (see Insua above)
Riise
El Zhar
Babel

I have a sneaky feeling Rafa will start with Torres and surprise (almost) everyone, as he hasn't played too much recently and obviously Kuyt and Voronin are being given a rest. I do expect him to be subbed for Babel at some point though, so he'll be able to contribute against Wigan on saturday as well. Hopefully after having scored one or two. I predict a 1-3 scoreline (with us getting 3 obviously), think Rafa will put out a decent side and Reading seem to be missing some players.
JamCar05

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Team: Itandje, Finnan, Aurelio, Carragher, Arbeloa, Leto, Sissoko, Lucas, Benayoun, Crouch, Torres. Subs: Martin, Gerrard, Riise, Hobbs, Putterill

Cant wait to see what Leto and Lucas play like   :)

Dont get injured please Carra.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Very disapointed not to see Hobbs in the team, he is 19 if were not going to play him a game like this when will he play?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion