Reading vs. liverpool - carling cup - 25/09/2007 - The madejski stadium – 7.45 pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:29 am

What done it for me tonight when the interviewer said Rafa for the first time mthis season Crouch & Torres in the starting line up.
Rafa said is that true and it was, for sucha meticlulas man in charge it was the first time they have started togheter.
Not that it matters of course.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:31 am

s@int wrote:Rafa's post match comments :-

"Fernando knows why he was left out. It was because of space. I didn't need to explain it too much. All the players want to play in every game. If you say to me that Dirk Kuyt is a worse striker or Peter Crouch is a worse striker or Andrei Voronin is a worse striker then I would play Torres every game . But because we have very good strikers, I like to choose the strikers for every game and if it is necessary to change I will change".
                          ---------------------------------------
We are saying Torres is better than Crouch, Kuyt and Veronin Rafa, so please play Torres every game mate.

Right...

Am not bein funy... What exactly does Crouch, Voronin or Kuyt offer that Torres doesn't or can't offer?

What can any of the other three do better than him?

What attributes do ANY of our other strikers have over him?

Apart from Kuyts work rate I can't see one.
Smeg

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:33 am

SMEG :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:39 am

Smeg wrote:Am not bein funy... What exactly does Crouch, Voronin or Kuyt offer that Torres doesn't or can't offer?

On tonights performance Smeg I'm not sure if even Kuyts work rate comes into it.

Torres ran his socks from the first minute to the last despite the battering he was being given throughout the game.

Has to be one of the most complete performances I've seen from a Liverpool forward in many a year.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 am

Smeg wrote:I doubt you'd say anything against your beloved Benitez if he didn't field Torres and Gerrard against the Mancs to be quite honest.

You sum up the happy clappy fan. Benitez got it wrong leaving out our second best player (and one of the most inform players in the country right now) against Pompey and Birmingham.

Simple as that. You don't go away to Portsmouth and league 3 of your best 5 players out of the starting line up and expect to come away with three points. If you want to go and win the league, you have to go and win in places like this.

What you say is devoid of any substance, or any justification, it's an empty judgement.

I don't sum up the happy clappy fan, I am a fan who tries to add a little perspective to my judgements. Conversely, your reaction sums up that of an A-class numpty. The epitome of a happy clappy fan would be one who agrees 100% with Rafa and his decision making, read ny post again, I am not that fan.

If Rafa didn't field Torres or Gerrard against the Manc's, there would be a bloody good reason for it. If he did, which I think is highly unliklely, it would be due to injuries to those two players. I have said that I was surprised at Torres' omission from the Birmingham match, where is it that you are missing the point?
LFC2007

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 am

s@int wrote:Theres never an A.B. around when he's needed. :D

What did you need me for?
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 am

woof woof ! wrote:
Smeg wrote:Am not bein funy... What exactly does Crouch, Voronin or Kuyt offer that Torres doesn't or can't offer?

On tonights performance Smeg I'm not sure if even Kuyts work rate comes into it.

Torres ran his socks from the first minute to the last despite the battering he was being given throughout the game.

Has to be one of the most complete performances I've seen from a Liverpool forward in many a year.

Agree completely Woof , he took everything Reading could throw at him tonight (the ref was a waste of space) and really looked the part.

Rafa may have made a mistake not picking him the last few games but I don't think he made a mistake when he bought him!
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 am

AB's Red Army wrote:
s@int wrote:Theres never an A.B. around when he's needed. :D

What did you need me for?

I thought there might be a bit of bovver which needed your calming influence mate but it blew over.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:21 am

redtrader74 wrote:
Me and my family have spent more on LFC than you have on your house cheeky b@stard.

I very much doubt that, you haven't seen my houses, but thats irrelevant.

Why the chip on the shoulder? I only questioned why your shirt buying and the name on the back should have any bearing on whether Rafa picks a player or not. Calm down.

Well when you really think about it, it sort of does. She has a point. We as fans pump a lot of money into LFC. They spent our cash (or at least some) to pay for a hyped expensive player in the form of one Fernando Torres. The fans pay, they at least expect to see him play. Just to see what all the fuss is about and to get our promise of the spectical that we pay to watch for. So, what she says really does make sense.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:27 am

Emerald Red wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:
Me and my family have spent more on LFC than you have on your house cheeky b@stard.

Why the chip on the shoulder? I only questioned why your shirt buying and the name on the back should have any bearing on whether Rafa picks a player or not. Calm down.

Well when you really think about it, it sort of does. She has a point. We as fans pump a lot of money into LFC. They spent our cash (or at least some) to pay for a hyped expensive player in the form of one Fernando Torres. The fans pay, they at least expect to see him play. Just to see what all the fuss is about and to get our promise of the spectical that we pay to watch for. So, what she says really does make sense.

You're not under duress to buy merchandise. Before going to a match, you are well aware - especially with Rafa at the helm - that x or y player may not be in the starting line up. Rafa is employed to get results using whatever strategy, and whatever line up he chooses, he is entrusted to do that. In his job description, there is nothing that says he must play every/any star player, in every match.

I can understand certain fans' dissappointment at not seeing Torres start on Saturday, just like I was to a degree, but that is besides the point.
LFC2007

Postby redtrader74 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 am

Emerald Red wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:

No one is forced to buy anything, or pay for sky. I didn't ask for a refund when Fowler was sold and i had a shirt with his name on it.
The point put across, in an inebriated state, was that Torres should be playing because we had a day planned around it, with the right shirt etc. blah blah blah, this is the most annoying trait that is placed at the door of glory hunters.

As fans we should be disappointed if a player is not playing because you think he would help us win, or stop us losing, but not because you just bought a new tracksuit with his name on it.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby nobybob » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:55 am

Jeez a lot of aggro here tonight considering things went quiet well,. I think its time to move on from the should he or shouldn't he have played Torres the last couple of games. Anyway I'm a happy bunny cos for the first time in a long time we have the POTENTIAL to win the league. Maybe we will maybe we wont who knows i only know that my heart speeds up just a bit when Torres gets the ball cos im starting to expect that something special is about to happen. and that's more than a good start.
nobybob

Postby skatesy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:05 am

anyone have some footage of the goals?
skatesy

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:31 am

Ciggy wrote:SMEG :D

Its not Smeg, its his mate on his account...

Your mate some may refere to me as... even though we've had our differences haha! :D
Smeg

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:39 am

woof woof ! wrote:

Woof woof, I agree completely. I think I actually had a bone on over that performance. :D

He completely ripped Reading to peices. I had my doubts about him when he first signed, he won me over quickly but you still have a nagging doubt about somethings, mine was how he'd react to a kicking.... tonight all my doubts dissapeared.

The way he seemed to just keep getting better as the game went on was unreal, he seemed to raise his game everytime he got kicked.

He shown tonight he has everything. Pace, power, intelligence, control, touch, passing, vision, finishing, heading, flick ons, aggression, tenacity, bottle, leadership, awareness, strength..... just everything.

Its a pitty really he's playing next to someone like Crouch who offers nothing in comparrison. People bang on about what Crouch brings but Crouch doesn't have one attribute on Torres, not one. The difference in class in the two players is there for all to see. As much as I think Kuyt's a good player I don't think he's the answer...
Smeg

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion