Rating our players - Footy discussion only

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
s@int wrote:We seem at the moment to have a few disagreements going in various threads about just how good some of our players are, and whether player "a" contributes more than player "b" etc etc and even whether player "c" should even be at our club at all.

I thought we could try and explain our reasons why we think the way we do about the different players, and which category we see them as fitting best into.

World class (Would get on most teams in the world)

Reina, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres.

Top class (Would get in most teams squads )

Carragher, Alonso, Hyypia (was but maybe not now)

Good player (good enough for a title winning team)

Skrtel, Agger, Riera, Arbeloa(?) Keane(?) Aurelio(?)

Decent squad player 

Kuyt, Lucas, Insua, Cavelieri

Would prefer to see sold

Voronin, Pennant, Benayoun, Degan, Dossena, Ngog

No doubt I have missed someone out and offended people by not putting their favourite players in the "right" category. This is my view of the players and even then I have questions about quite a few.

To explain a couple of my more controversial decisions.

I put Masch as world class and Alonso as "only" top class because I think there are quite a few better players than Alonso in his role, and I don't believe there is a better player than Masch at what he does. Like it or lump it thats my view.

Arbeloa , Keane and Aurelio, I was torn between them being squad players and good players but decided to be happy clappy for once and put them in possibly a higher category than maybe they deserve.

Benayoun, is no doubt good enough to be a decent squad player alongside Kuyt etc etc, I think he tends to narrow the pitch too much when he plays and I think we could get better for similar money to what we would get for him.

You are Stu the Red and I claim my five pounds.

Get a clue :D

Stu would NEVER say Masch is World class, possibly not even Reina(?)

Just because I feel like I'm going to break them up even further into more groups.

The Elite: (Top five players in the world)

Steven Gerrard: Absoloutely unbelievable player. Wouldn't swap him for anyone and don't believe any other player is capable of his performances being played completely out of position. Absoloute monster of a player and we'll be lucky to see another one who is nearly as good in all our years as Liverpool fans.

Fernando Torres: Quite simply unplayable at his best. Fast, strong, skillfull, lethal finisher, great in the air, unbelievable movement, wonderfull touch, can shoot from distance. Not as important as Gerrard, but easily in the top five players in the world for me.

World class players: (in and around the top 6-20 players in the world)

None

Top class players: (Players who'd get into pretty much every side).

None (Would have had Sami Hyypia in here a few years ago)

Excellent players: (good enough to win a league with, have some excellent attributes but theres alot around that are as good)

Alonso: Again, excellent use of the ball, reads the game well, keeps possession well and links up well with other good players.

Reira: Excellent use of the ball, intelligent and links up well with others, provides superb balance.

Keane: Has yet to produce in a red shirt but through no real fault of his own. Has superb vision, his movement is world class and his link up play is exceptional. Technically he's good aswell. Just needs to settle and get to the level of confidence needed to play consistently well for this club, in terms of ability there are no worries.

Good players: (Usually consistent or decent and played in the right system, next to the right players, can have a positive effect)

Hyypia: Still think he's our best centre half for me. Not as good as he used to be but still shows signs of class. Good on the ball, uses it well and still dominant in the air. Reads the game superbly. Obviously lacks alot of mobility these days.

Carragher: Could probably push him up a level due to what he gives Liverpool and the fact he's a leader but I don't believe in overating your own. Solid defensively, has his faults but doesn't everyone.

Skyrtel: Solid without being spectacular.

Agger: Again solid without being spectacular. Excellent and carrying the ball out from the back. Would be nice is his passing ability was upto the same standard.

Mascherano: Good in the tackle but a poor passer. Excellent at reading the game aswell and where to press the ball.

Decent squad player: (not really first teamers but you can get away with the odd one)

Insua, Aurelio, Bennayoun, Pennant, Arbeloa

Absoloute rubbish that needs to go:

Kuyt, Voronin, Ngog, Babel, Lucas, Degen, Dossena, Cavalieri

--------------------------------------------------------------

We've got a decent squad, we just need a couple of additions but they have to all be improvements on what we have. For me this team has potentially a great mix of the right players if we can find the type of players and obviously they have to be of the required standard to suppliment the ones we already have.

The Elite? So there's a class above world class? Jesus, now you're just making sh*t up. If you're talking about trademark, legendary players that can be put in the same bracket as the likes of Pele, Maradonna, Zidane, etc etc, well, that's just a question of time, and time is something Torres is still to attest to. God forbid, he could get a bad injury and fade into relative obscurity like Owen has. As for us having no world class players either, well, you're seriously having a laugh there.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
s@int wrote:We seem at the moment to have a few disagreements going in various threads about just how good some of our players are, and whether player "a" contributes more than player "b" etc etc and even whether player "c" should even be at our club at all.

I thought we could try and explain our reasons why we think the way we do about the different players, and which category we see them as fitting best into.

Decent squad player 

Would prefer to see sold

No doubt I have missed someone out and offended people by not putting their favourite players in the "right" category. This is my view of the players and even then I have questions about quite a few.

I put Masch as world class and Alonso as "only" top class because I think there are quite a few better players than Alonso in his role, and I don't believe there is a better player than Masch at what he does. Like it or lump it thats my view.

Arbeloa , Keane and Aurelio, I was torn between them being squad players and good players but decided to be happy clappy for once and put them in possibly a higher category than maybe they deserve.

Benayoun, is no doubt good enough to be a decent squad player alongside Kuyt etc etc, I think he tends to narrow the pitch too much when he plays and I think we could get better for similar money to what we would get for him.

Just because I feel like I'm going to break them up even further into more groups.

Steven Gerrard: Absoloutely unbelievable player. Wouldn't swap him for anyone and don't believe any other player is capable of his performances being played completely out of position. Absoloute monster of a player and we'll be lucky to see another one who is nearly as good in all our years as Liverpool fans.

Fernando Torres: Quite simply unplayable at his best. Fast, strong, skillfull, lethal finisher, great in the air, unbelievable movement, wonderfull touch, can shoot from distance. Not as important as Gerrard, but easily in the top five players in the world for me.

None

Excellent players: (good enough to win a league with, have some excellent attributes but theres alot around that are as good)

Alonso: Again, excellent use of the ball, reads the game well, keeps possession well and links up well with other good players.

Reira: Excellent use of the ball, intelligent and links up well with others, provides superb balance.

Keane: Has yet to produce in a red shirt but through no real fault of his own. Has superb vision, his movement is world class and his link up play is exceptional. Technically he's good aswell. Just needs to settle and get to the level of confidence needed to play consistently well for this club, in terms of ability there are no worries.

Good players: (Usually consistent or decent and played in the right system, next to the right players, can have a positive effect)

Hyypia: Still think he's our best centre half for me. Not as good as he used to be but still shows signs of class. Good on the ball, uses it well and still dominant in the air. Reads the game superbly. Obviously lacks alot of mobility these days.

Carragher: Could probably push him up a level due to what he gives Liverpool and the fact he's a leader but I don't believe in overating your own. Solid defensively, has his faults but doesn't everyone.

Agger: Again solid without being spectacular. Excellent and carrying the ball out from the back. Would be nice is his passing ability was upto the same standard.

Mascherano: Good in the tackle but a poor passer. Excellent at reading the game aswell and where to press the ball.

Decent squad player: (not really first teamers but you can get away with the odd one)

We've got a decent squad, we just need a couple of additions but they have to all be improvements on what we have. For me this team has potentially a great mix of the right players if we can find the type of players and obviously they have to be of the required standard to suppliment the ones we already have.

The Elite? So there's a class above world class? Jesus, now you're just making sh*t up. If you're talking about trademark, legendary players that can be put in the same bracket as the likes of Pele, Maradonna, Zidane, etc etc, well, that's just a question of time, and time is something Torres is still to attest to. God forbid, he could get a bad injury and fade into relative obscurity like Owen has. As for us having no world class players either, well, you're seriously having a laugh there.

agree with you as i d with Dawson about Kuyt and lucas but unfortunatley you arent allowed to disagree with certain people or you are called an idiot and clueless.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Decent squad player 

Would prefer to see sold

None

Name our world class players then.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Decent squad player 

Would prefer to see sold

None

Why, so you can patronize and tell me I haven't a clue? I'll name two who I think are world class apart from our obvious two superstar players. Xavi Alonso and Pepe Reina.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Its all subjective as you name players the elite when most of the footballing world call the top ten world class etc so for us world class players are torres , gerrard and possibly pepe. Its all down to what people call each player . And i would suggest that masher is top class as would expect pretty much eery time would like him in there team and on current form xabi.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Decent squad player 

Would prefer to see sold

None

Why, so you can patronize and tell me I haven't a clue? I'll name two who I think are world class apart from our obvious two superstar players. Xavi Alonso and Pepe Reina.

So a player who lacks mobility, scores approximately 5 goals a season (being generous) and plays a hell of a lot of square passes and often comes far to deep to collect the ball is in your opinion should be in the same catorgary as Steven Gerrard?

Alonso, as good as he is isn't a world class player. He's a very good one, but there are a large number of players in the league of the same ability if not more so. Players with more mobility, aggression, power and even better technical players. Alonso also, away from home especially can cause us problems by coming so deep to receive the ball, this though is probably beyond your limited understanding of the game and I won't waste my time going into to it to share with an arrogant, stupid little fukwit who only comes on here to argue with anyone dares to question Rafa the great and doesn't know what it is to support his local team.

Pepe Reina is a class keeper. I like him alot. But he's not world class in my opinion.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Who doesnt know what its like to support their local team ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Decent squad player 

Would prefer to see sold

None

So a player who lacks mobility, scores approximately 5 goals a season (being generous) and plays a hell of a lot of square passes and often comes far to deep to collect the ball is in your opinion should be in the same catorgary as Steven Gerrard?

Alonso, as good as he is isn't a world class player. He's a very good one, but there are a large number of players in the league of the same ability if not more so. Players with more mobility, aggression, power and even better technical players. Alonso also, away from home especially can cause us problems by coming so deep to receive the ball, this though is probably beyond your limited understanding of the game and I won't waste my time going into to it to share with an arrogant, stupid little fukwit who only comes on here to argue with anyone dares to question Rafa the great and doesn't know what it is to support his local team.

Pepe Reina is a class keeper. I like him alot. But he's not world class in my opinion.

You can't compare apples to oranges. Surely, someone with God-like knowledge of football such as yourself should know that football teams need various players with different styles and different qualities in order to make a team a great one. About the only thing Xavi Alonso has in common with Steven Gerrard is that they are both midfielders. However, they are both entirely different and can't be compared in the same way. The job Alonso does on the field can be considered as being that of a world class standard. Without players like Alonso, players like Gerrard can't really function and do what they do, can they?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Alonso is world class
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby milou » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 pm

World class: Reina, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres, Alonso
Top class: Carragher, Reira, Hyypia, Skrtel, Agger
Good player: Arbeloa, Keane
Decent squad player: Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas, Insua, Pennant, Benayoun, Ngog
Would prefer to see sold: Voronin, Degan, Dossena

Just a side-note that CONTEXT is important when u rate someone.. And the above are obviously based on Liverpool.

Many people think (me included) that Gerrard is world class and RIGHTLY so - but only in the context of Liverpool. If you rate him (OBJECTIVELY) as an England player, I wonder what rating he would get. And Reina can't even get a game for Spain.

Same player, different team = different performance, different rating.
milou

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 pm

As for Reina, his record speaks for itself in the top league in the world. The only reason why he isn't the Spanish #1 is favoritism.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 pm

On current form Supersub i cant argue with that at all - think he is one of the main reasons we are doing so well at the moment - think he must be the most in form midfielder in the prem at the present time and its great for us - it showed how much we missed him when he went off against preston.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Emerald Red wrote:As for Reina, his record speaks for itself in the top league in the world. The only reason why he isn't the Spanish #1 is favoritism.

and the fact that casillas is an outstanding keeper

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Yes pepe is very unfortunate that the one keeper who is better than him in the world is also spanish - would only rate Casillas better than pepe in the world - then buffon and cech below those two.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm

andy_g wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:As for Reina, his record speaks for itself in the top league in the world. The only reason why he isn't the Spanish #1 is favoritism.

and the fact that casillas is an outstanding keeper

Never said he wasn't. I personally don't think he's any better than Reina.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion