Rather than doom and gloom - What have we got to be positive about

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:36 pm

bit off topic but just heard on 5live that even at this late stage of 2011 Torres still has more goals to his name for us this yr than Chelsea.... put a smile on my face for a short while anyway :)
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:57 am

stmichael wrote:arsenal and chelsea are both equally as dreadful as us :D

And we've beaten them both this season.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:05 pm

stmichael wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I genuinely don't see where all of the doom and gloom comes from.

We're a far better footballing outfit than this time two years ago. We're playing well, the performances are there and if the goals were a few inches wider we'd be well on our way to a CL place next season. Luck simply hasn't been on our side this half of the season. The sides fighting with us for fourth have also been very inconsistent but we've yet to play them at home so it's still all to play for

Obviously Andy's the big talking point and he hasn't been performing so he hasn't been playing much recently. if he wants his place he'll earn it, no problems there either imo, the only real dilemma is where he fits and how to get the best out of him (even them thats not a particularly doom and gloom issue, more a genuine football debate)

Owners have been great so far and Kenny's the man. I'm interested to see how we handle ourselves in january

Good post.

I thought Shearer made a good point on MOTD the other night (wonders will never cease). I'd be more worried if we weren't creating the chances. This time last year I was watching us under Hodgson and it was utterly dire week in week out. In a majority of games, especially away from home we didn't even have a shot on goal.

Obviously finishing is the main problem but we have the chance to address that in January. I have no qualms about the defence but we still need a top class defensive midfielder to replace Lucas imo. Nobody we have can fill in for him in an adequate manner.

Somebody is due a spanking soon though. :angry:

totally agree.. and not just about Shearer making sense for once  :eyebrow
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Greavesie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:16 pm

stmichael wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I genuinely don't see where all of the doom and gloom comes from.

We're a far better footballing outfit than this time two years ago. We're playing well, the performances are there and if the goals were a few inches wider we'd be well on our way to a CL place next season. Luck simply hasn't been on our side this half of the season. The sides fighting with us for fourth have also been very inconsistent but we've yet to play them at home so it's still all to play for

Obviously Andy's the big talking point and he hasn't been performing so he hasn't been playing much recently. if he wants his place he'll earn it, no problems there either imo, the only real dilemma is where he fits and how to get the best out of him (even them thats not a particularly doom and gloom issue, more a genuine football debate)

Owners have been great so far and Kenny's the man. I'm interested to see how we handle ourselves in january

Good post.

I thought Shearer made a good point on MOTD the other night (wonders will never cease). I'd be more worried if we weren't creating the chances. This time last year I was watching us under Hodgson and it was utterly dire week in week out. In a majority of games, especially away from home we didn't even have a shot on goal.

Obviously finishing is the main problem but we have the chance to address that in January. I have no qualms about the defence but we still need a top class defensive midfielder to replace Lucas imo. Nobody we have can fill in for him in an adequate manner.

Somebody is due a spanking soon though. :angry:

totally agree Mick. I remember under Roy there were games we'd have our first shot on target was on 83 minutes and things like that. All of the foundations are there right now and maybe we're expecting too much too soon. We've had to go from 7th to Roy to 4th in the space of two years, its a big ask but what does assure me is that there's definitely a strategy considering the future rather than short term success.

Should we miss out on a CL place I wouldn't start fretting over Kenny's position, not even nearly
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:42 pm

stable, good owners, fantastic manager and a fantastic staff.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmy brighton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Exactly one year ago we were sitting 12th with the media-darling Woy as manager. We were all looking forward to this evenings game at home to Wolves. A 1-0 defeat!
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 pm

jimmy brighton wrote:Exactly one year ago we were sitting 12th with the media-darling Woy as manager. We were all looking forward to this evenings game at home to Wolves. A 1-0 defeat!

This!

We've had a solid first few months of the season. The lads are playing quite well and we're right in the mix for a top 4 finish and two games away from a Wembley final. Stevie is back for good we hope and when a few of the new lads finally get some form going we will be a tough proposition for anyone in the this league.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Scottbot wrote:
jimmy brighton wrote:Exactly one year ago we were sitting 12th with the media-darling Woy as manager. We were all looking forward to this evenings game at home to Wolves. A 1-0 defeat!

This!

We've had a solid first few months of the season. The lads are playing quite well and we're right in the mix for a top 4 finish and two games away from a Wembley final. Stevie is back for good we hope and when a few of the new lads finally get some form going we will be a tough proposition for anyone in the this league.

Scott, I'd also throw into the mix the transition of Carra being out of the starting XI.  Yes we have been very good at the back, and we have improved as a team, but the leadership on the field is something we've been missing.

I'm not saying I think fazing Carra out of the team is a bad decision BTW.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 pm

........that we can't keep hitting the woodwork 50 billion times EACH game, the laws of probability just don't work that way.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Oh and outside of Lucas we have no other major injuries to be concerned about (not including the Suarez appeal)
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Scottbot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:37 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

This!

Scott, I'd also throw into the mix the transition of Carra being out of the starting XI.  Yes we have been very good at the back, and we have improved as a team, but the leadership on the field is something we've been missing.

I'm not saying I think fazing Carra out of the team is a bad decision BTW.

Yeah I must admit I never really fancied Agger and Skrtel as a partnership but they have been the strength of the team this past 6 weeks and you do wonder if Carra will be an LFC playwer next year given that he has always said he would move if he ever became a bit part player. But having said that he is only an injury away to Danny Agger from playing again. I'm not even sure we've missed his leadership especially given that our problem has been scoring goals not defending them.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:29 am

Im sure after opening matches of season the Gunner fans werent expecting any CL football next year but now they are in the mix
Chelsea's russian roubles doesnt seem to buy them any consistency any more

Still a long way to go in the season and while I can understand frustration of home draws, Carroll's form  and Suarez off field saga.
I dont think the picture is as bleak as some like to paint it, as Scott said we are still definately in the mix
Last edited by laza on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:20 am

Gerrard is back.. NOW STAY FIT
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:00 pm

After today's results i'm optimistic we can still clinch 4th place.  Although, I get a burning sensation in my gut when I think of the points we've dropped.  We should be in such a better position.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:27 am

I also have this incredible feeling of de ja vu. Where everyone comes unstuck again? Seems about right  :)

By that I mean everyone f*cking up again
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion