Rafas buying talent ability

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm

With the money he's had i dont think he could have done alot better, how many of his players would go for less than he signed them for? some have doubled or more in price. If he had the money to get his first choise targets last year instead of the likes of Bellamy  and Pennant we may of at least put in a challenge, i for  one was gutted when we missed out on Alves.      Going to be a very interesting summer and very busy on here no doubt.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:51 pm

kunilson wrote:Rafa has an eye for the defensive talents...because that is obviously his strong point, and hasn't done so well with the attacking players...maybe a change or two behind the scenes to help him out in this department wouldn't be a bad idea?

Rafa’s strong point is striking a balance between defence and attack; he is a “moderate” styled manager, someone who wants his side to play good football with a miserly defence and wants a team that gets the right results on the pitch. If you watched Valencia under Benitez, they were actually miserly at the back, but very competent and skilful in attack. I can remember when Benitez bought Valencia to Anfield and they completely ran rings around our players in every position on the pitch.

Rafa hasn’t been able to get top class attacking players because of the tight transfer budget and the incompetence of Rick Parry, the sooner Foster Gillett becomes Chief Executive of the club, the better, Rafa will get the attacking players he wants when Rick the green grocer Parry is replaced by someone with a ruthless and competent business sense.

Rafa is unfairly criticised for this myth about him being defensive, IMO he is anything but, he lives by the motto of getting his own house in order before he questions others. He’s not going to lob stones from his green house into Mourinho’s green house until his green house protected. I am getting a bit carried away here, but the green house is supposed to represent the goal and the stones represent the players, in case you are lost.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Let Pires go for free?

Thats like saying you bought a top of the range tv for near nothing off the back of a truck, got the best out of it and recycled it after 5 or 6 years of use. Thats not a negative thing, players like tvs depreciate in value.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Yeah Pires left for nothing mate, after giving the best years of his career to the club and ripping premiership defences up for years. Great sigings. As was Henry, as was Vieira.

Wenger signed Henry and Vieira for £14,500,000 I personally think he let both players go on the cheap as both are world class players and have been amoungst the best the country has seen. He also brought in Pires, Anelka, Petit, Campbell, Overmars who were all undoubtedly top class, aswell Lljungberg who scored goals for fun.

Wengers made his mistakes, but he's made world class signings aswell. And I mean world class, not, decent. To sign a player as good and influencial as Vieira for £3,500,000 deserves the utmost respect aswell as Anelka for 500k.

The problem is, Rafa's not anything like that.

I won’t dispute the fact that the Arsenal team of old was one of the most enjoyable teams to watch, the passing, the ebb and flowing of attacking football was a pleasure to watch.

I’ll probably get ripped to shreds for saying this I believe that Arsenal team should have and could have won much more, especially in Europe, the style of football they played they should have capitalised in Europe.

As for Overmars, I didn’t think much of him in an Arsenal shirt, he had a far better time in Barcelona than he did at Arsenal and it’s the same with Gio. Not all of Wenger’s signings were brilliant, does Pascal Cygan ring a bell? Wenger has an eye for a gem in the Market he is prone to making mistakes, just like Rafa. Wenger has also lost a substantial amount of money on players such as Pires, Henry and Vieira and as a result has lesser financial clout, which will no doubt affect his rebuilding programme.

As for Rafa not doing this how do you know? I’m sure there are people who think £5m for Sissoko, £10m for Alonso and £6m for Reina is great business or how about £900K for Scott Carson? The difference is in today’s game with the inflation of prices the chances of getting a player like Henry for £11m and Vieira for £3.5m is very rare, the direction and dynamics of market economics in football have changed drastically since 1996 when Vieira was signed and 1999 when Henry was signed. You might be right and Rafa doesn’t manage to find such gems at good prices, there’s only one way to find out.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Rush Job » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Why keep bangin on about Arsenal and Wenger, is that the bench mark for judging Rafa? f×ck off.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 am

LFC2007 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Alonso, Sissoko and Mascherano? ???

Come on Bavlondon, Biscan was miles better than Sissoko :laugh:

Come on LFC2007, Finnan was miles better than Josemi :laugh:
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:44 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:The problem is, Rafa's not anything like that.

We'll see won't we.

We've already seen bellend. Name a player thats world class who Rafa has signed?

Talking out yer :censored: yet again.

Agger and Sissoko will never ever make world class players. Get over it.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby gerrards_right_foot » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 am

i think that rafa's ability to buy big is bang average, most players he really brought in to bring to a job long term for liverpool will now be worth more than we payed for them. alonso, momo, kuyt, crouch, garcia (tho his age will now be a factor) an reina! other quick fixes, pelligrino and even robbie to an extent came here did a job (sometimes distinctly average ones!) and left again. if liverpool were a selling club (i.e. arsenal), we'd be up in money stakes. no i dont think that rafa has the ability to bring in young and develop into a top player, i simply dont think he has the patience/time. an if that was his style i genuinly believe that soo many liverpool fans would be complaining about having to wait for squad to mature.
gerrards_right_foot

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:47 am

Wilhelmsson wrote:Rafa hasn’t been able to get top class attacking players because of the tight transfer budget and the incompetence of Rick Parry, the sooner Foster Gillett becomes Chief Executive of the club, the better, Rafa will get the attacking players he wants when Rick the green grocer Parry is replaced by someone with a ruthless and competent business sense.

What absoloute, utter rubbish and typical pass the buck, everything is rosey brigade attitude.

:no
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:50 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Alonso, Sissoko and Mascherano? ???

Come on Bavlondon, Biscan was miles better than Sissoko :laugh:

Come on LFC2007, Finnan was miles better than Josemi :laugh:

You're right there, but it's funny how Rafa managed to win the champions league with him in the squad!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:51 am

Wilhelmsson wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:Yeah Pires left for nothing mate, after giving the best years of his career to the club and ripping premiership defences up for years. Great sigings. As was Henry, as was Vieira.

Wenger signed Henry and Vieira for £14,500,000 I personally think he let both players go on the cheap as both are world class players and have been amoungst the best the country has seen. He also brought in Pires, Anelka, Petit, Campbell, Overmars who were all undoubtedly top class, aswell Lljungberg who scored goals for fun.

Wengers made his mistakes, but he's made world class signings aswell. And I mean world class, not, decent. To sign a player as good and influencial as Vieira for £3,500,000 deserves the utmost respect aswell as Anelka for 500k.

The problem is, Rafa's not anything like that.

I won’t dispute the fact that the Arsenal team of old was one of the most enjoyable teams to watch, the passing, the ebb and flowing of attacking football was a pleasure to watch.

I’ll probably get ripped to shreds for saying this I believe that Arsenal team should have and could have won much more, especially in Europe, the style of football they played they should have capitalised in Europe.

As for Overmars, I didn’t think much of him in an Arsenal shirt, he had a far better time in Barcelona than he did at Arsenal and it’s the same with Gio. Not all of Wenger’s signings were brilliant, does Pascal Cygan ring a bell? Wenger has an eye for a gem in the Market he is prone to making mistakes, just like Rafa. Wenger has also lost a substantial amount of money on players such as Pires, Henry and Vieira and as a result has lesser financial clout, which will no doubt affect his rebuilding programme.

As for Rafa not doing this how do you know? I’m sure there are people who think £5m for Sissoko, £10m for Alonso and £6m for Reina is great business or how about £900K for Scott Carson? The difference is in today’s game with the inflation of prices the chances of getting a player like Henry for £11m and Vieira for £3.5m is very rare, the direction and dynamics of market economics in football have changed drastically since 1996 when Vieira was signed and 1999 when Henry was signed. You might be right and Rafa doesn’t manage to find such gems at good prices, there’s only one way to find out.

You didn't think much of Overmars? He scored :censored: 16 goals in all comps from the wing an ran rings round Arsenal's opponents. I'm sorry, but you have a very different view of a player who I think was one of Arsenal's best in their 98 league winning campaigne.

Absoloutely great player.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:57 am

redtrader74 wrote:Comparing Houlliers £125m+ spend against Rafa is illogical, Football inflation (Not air into a ball, the Economic term)  would mean in real terms that value was nearer £200m, maybe more. Also the increased spending power of Chelsea, Spurs, Westham etc has brought them very close to us financially, and forcing prices up further, whether they compete with us for a player or whether we attempt to buy from them, Rafa's spending in comparison to Houllier in real terms is vastly inferior so far.

thats wat i wanted to say...sad some people cant see it..and am a supporter of Houllier in many ways..but i'm not biased :no
whylongball?

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:57 am

LFC2007 wrote:You're right there, but it's funny how Rafa managed to win the champions league with him in the squad!

Clueless Bellend alert...

What does that have to do with anything? :laugh:
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:The problem is, Rafa's not anything like that.

We'll see won't we.

We've already seen bellend. Name a player thats world class who Rafa has signed?

Talking out yer :censored: yet again.

Agger and Sissoko will never ever make world class players. Get over it.

Go feck yerself you arrogant cun,t.

Name one world class player that Houllier signed?

World class? You wouldn't call Carragher world class but you wouldn't replace him with any other defender in the world!

World Class? Schevchenko's considered "world class" - has he achieved more than Kuyt in England? I don't think so.

Rafa's signed some brilliant players who have done very well - we just need that extra quality to take us to the next level - to do that we need funds.

Houllier made some very good signings aswell, but he p!ssed money on jokes like Diao and Diouf.

If you're saying Morientes is as bad as Diouf - or was as big a gamble then it's not worth bothering with you.

The same with Diao, you'll probably come out with some sh!t that he's better than Sissoko - my are,se.

Agger -  a brilliant signing, IMO he will develop into a top class defender, as good as Hyypia if not better in time.

You think he's average - your opinion - I know most can see him for what he is.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:00 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:You're right there, but it's funny how Rafa managed to win the champions league with him in the squad!

Clueless Bellend alert...

What does that have to do with anything? :laugh:

Joke alert  :laugh:
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion