Rafael benitez - Sorry to start another topic on this!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gareth G » Thu May 27, 2004 10:45 am

Thought some of you non believer's would find this more to the point. Have a read below, the source is LFC.TV.

Anfield chief executive Rick Parry flew to the Caribbean last night confident he has his man after Rafael Benitez agreed to become Liverpool boss. 

As revealed exclusively in The Mirror, the pair had secret talks in Spain last week and shook hands on a five-year deal worth £25,000 a week.

Nothing will be signed or announced until Parry returns from holiday in two weeks, but Benitez has already spoken about the players he wants when he moves from Valencia.

One of his first tasks will be to try to persuade Roberto Ayala and Pablo Aimar to move with him to Anfield.

Benitez muddied the waters yesterday when he insisted he was concentrating on his job at Valencia, who he led to two Spanish titles and two UEFA Cup Finals in three years.

But the comments were explained away by Anfield sources, who insist he will say nothing about the move until it is completed.

Liverpool are supremely confident there will be no last minute hitch, despite the 44-year-old not yet putting pen to paper.

Benitez spent the weekend considering his options, and confirmed he is keen on the challenge of managing what he describes as "one of the historic English clubs".

Valencia are £70m in debt and face having to sell top players.

This story has been reproduced from today's media and is not necessarily the position of Liverpool FC.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 27, 2004 10:48 am

sounds good, Aimar and Ayala would be welcome additions.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 27, 2004 10:55 am

Quoting the LFC.TV site as a source is all well and good mate, but it's not actually accurate. The source is The Mirror. LFC.TV just post media hightlights with a disclaimer saying that "This story has been reproduced from today's media and is not necessarily the position of Liverpool FC."

Sorry to burst your bubble lads, I hope it true like the rest but who knows???
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu May 27, 2004 11:00 am

I could almost feel an ' I told you so' coming on then.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 27, 2004 11:03 am

According to the BBC sports page, Benitez has just signeda  2-year contract but he has a clause whereby he can give a 15-day notice to Valencia. I don't know how much this is true.

On the wages side, it has also been reported in the Guardian that Benitez had agreed on a £25,000 per week salary, the same as Houllier's previous contract and much more than what he is on right now.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 27, 2004 11:04 am

I still hope it's all true and we do get him.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu May 27, 2004 11:33 am

I think the 15 day walkout clause is something to do with spanish labour laws but there you go. I would be extremely surprised if Rick Parry went off on two weeks holidays without something being sorted out. It all just seems a bit fishy that there is a two week walkout clause in the contract and that he is on holidays for two weeks
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 27, 2004 11:36 am

I may have all been signed, done and dusted last week. just waiting now for the 15 days to elapse and personnel terms to be agreed. Football is to coin a phrase " a funny old game "
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu May 27, 2004 11:41 am

Benitez admits Liverpool interest

Yesterday he denied it, but today Rafael Benitez is very keen on a move to Anfield

Press Association
Thursday May 27, 2004 -Guardian

Rafael Benitez has admitted that Liverpool have been in touch with his agent over the managerial vacancy at Anfield - and signalled his desire to succeed Gerard Houllier.
The Valencia coach, who is one of the names in the frame to succeed Houllier, yesterday moved to play down speculation linking him with Liverpool.

But Benitez, who has won the league title and the Uefa Cup this season, has admitted that Liverpool would be a great club to coach.

"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage," Benitez is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation."

And in what could be appears to be a U-turn on yesterday's statement, Benitez added: "I am happy in Valencia and I would only leave the club for a great European side and Liverpool are one of those."

Looks like he's setting himself up for it
Last edited by simic_ie on Thu May 27, 2004 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 27, 2004 11:50 am

Sounds like media spin. One he is the next he's not then he is!!!

It was the same with Gh's dismissal. staying, going, staying, going.

As they say, there's no smoke without fire and he seems to be the only candidate getting decent colum inches.

I'm starting to to side with Lee J and say the deals done.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 27, 2004 11:54 am

seems that way, he is a quality manager and will be welcomed to Anfield.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 27, 2004 12:01 pm

Mourinho: It's Chelsea, taken from soccernet.com.

Porto coach Jose Mourinho has publicly revealed for the first time that he wants to join Chelsea this summer.
The Champions League-winning boss has become Europe's most wanted coach after the success of his team over the past two seasons.

Chelsea, whose current boss Claudio Ranieri is widely expected to leave the club this summer, are among the clubs believed to be chasing Mourinho.

'I have some offers in my wallet, but one which I very much want to accept, which is that from Chelsea,' Mourinho told Portuguese channel Sport TV. 

looks like Mourinho is out of the running, according to this, Benitez may well be on his way.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 27, 2004 12:03 pm

Mourinho on portuguese channle sport Tv.

"I have some offers in my wallet, but one which I very much want to accept, which is that from Chelsea,"
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu May 27, 2004 12:03 pm

ckay wrote:Quoting the LFC.TV site as a source is all well and good mate, but it's not actually accurate. The source is The Mirror. LFC.TV just post media hightlights with a disclaimer saying that "This story has been reproduced from today's media and is not necessarily the position of Liverpool FC."

Sorry to burst your bubble lads, I hope it true like the rest but who knows???

Sorry, i knew that and was intending to say, i just forgot!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 27, 2004 12:05 pm

Che to offer Benitez new deal
27 May 2004

Valencia are reportedly ready to offer coach Rafael Benitez a two-year extension to his contract in a bid to ward off potential suitors.

Benitez has been linked with a move to Liverpool after leading the club to the Spanish league title and the UEFA Cup.

The Che have become alarmed at the increasing speculation and, according to locally-based Radio Nou, are keen for Benitez to remain until 2007.
Benitez appears to be keeping his options open.

"I have one year on my contract remaining. Everyone knows I think Valencia is a good place to live," he said.

"When a team, coach and players win as we have in Valencia, it is inevitable other clubs focus on them and show a certain interest.

"We are in the phase of listening at the moment and that's why I have an agent."

Benitez is adamant that he will not rest on his laurels.

"I want to have a team that can continue to battle to win titles," he said.

"What I want to do at the moment is have a rest and nothing else."

Liverpool, who are looking to replace Gerard Houllier, can offer Champions League football after finishing fourth in the table.

But a decision on their new manager is unlikely to take place before next week as chief executive Rick Parry is on holiday.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion