Rafa's 'small team' remark - Good article on teamtalk

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:50 pm

the thing is rafa is not shankly. shankly is a straight and expressive person. now that rafa -who used to be a nice and thoughtful person, is trying to play shankly, it sounds unnatural, weird and controversial.

and another thing is, this was issued after the defeat
"sound of frustration" to some people
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Oh yeah and let me just give you a comment that Gollum gave a month or so back over the whole Andy Johnson diving debate:

"small clubs like us don’t get the rub of the green like the big clubs do"

Where was the uproar then? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi Tim,

I'd forgotten that Moyes comment. They even went to the FA over the amount of penal;ties they thought they should have got but didn't.

This whole episode says much more about Everton and their mentality than it does about Rafa. The clubs like mushrooms........ Their in the dark and keep getting fed :censored: ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:59 pm

Rafas command of English is very ordinary and makes his pre and post match comments quite dull.

Perhaps his comment was lost in translation but he has not taken it back today so I guess stands by it.

It was a disrepectful thing to say and born from frustration. He is often accusing of Murhino but this was right out his locker and not really what we want to be about. Benitez should be more careful in the future.

As for Evertons tactics, I will be interested to see his gameplan in Barcelona. If we do not park the team bus in front of the goal there I will be pretty surprised!
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:05 pm

parchpea wrote:Rafas command of English is very ordinary and makes his pre and post match comments quite dull.

Perhaps his comment was lost in translation but he has not taken it back today so I guess stands by it.

It was a disrepectful thing to say and born from frustration. He is often accusing of Murhino but this was right out his locker and not really what we want to be about. Benitez should be more careful in the future.

As for Evertons tactics, I will be interested to see his gameplan in Barcelona. If we do not park the team bus in front of the goal there I will be pretty surprised!

I disagree mate. What exactly did Rafa say that was defammatory or disrespectful ?  ???

He simply said what everyone who weatched the game knew which was that Everton came to defend in numbers like a lot of "smaller" teams in the Premiership do ?

David Moyes himself called his team a small club less than amonth ago so what is the problem ?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 pm

rafa is only human and not impossible of getting slipped-up (proven :D ). that's whats happened. he's still a great manager after all.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:19 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:rafa is only human and not impossible of getting slipped-up (proven :D ). that's whats happened. he's still a great manager after all.

Who says he slipped up ?

I hope he did mean it, i hope he meant to cause offence and hope he continues to ridicule our rivals.

Moyes has said stuff to stir things in the past and Arteta did before the derby the other day.

They need to wind there necks in if they cant take criticism.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:28 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Do we really care if Benitez has offended poor little Everton!

Absolutely not one fucking bit.

I don't want to act all grown-up about it and say "it's not in the style of Liverpool managers".  Besides, Leon's post has shown that to be far from true. 

Fuck it.  Rafa, you didn't have to, but you've made this supporter worship you just a little bit more than I did already by coming out with this comment, intentional or not.  The response from Blueshit camp has ensured that this will resonate down the years whenever we play each other.  So, not for the last time, thanks Rafa.  Stuff of legends.

The Bitter Bastards can fuck off.  They spend 99% of thier time trying to antagonise us, our manager and players, but then suddenly remember their morals and become outraged as soon as we have a go back at them.  They can't have it all their own way.

And the simple fact is that they ARE smaller than us.

If they don't like a bit of banter, would they like to stop trotting out the famous Brian Labone quote like it actually means anything, or stop having a pop at Emlyn Hughes for doing the exact same thing, like for like?  Again, because it's us, they are outraged... 

But they live and thrive off propaganda like this that has it's entire foundations based on bullshit someone made up five minutes ago (The Peoples Club...?) to take their attention away from the fact that they are in all honesty, a shit football club whose glory days are long, long behind them.  But they have their pathetic retorts...

So what exactly do all their soundbites actually mean?  Apparently, the saying goes "Evertionians are born not manufactured.  We don't choose we are chosen, those who understand need no explanation, those that don't,don't matter." 

I mustn't matter because you're not telling me that b*ll*c*ks like that makes any sense.

Apparently there are no Liverpool fans who come from Liverpool.  Zero.  Nought.  Nowt.  Not one.

I was born in Fazakerley Hospital, to parents who are from the Scotland Road area of the city.  I lived off County Road until the age of eight, a five minute walk from Goodison Park.  I now live elsewhere in the city, a twenty minute drive away from Anfield.  I used to live off West Derby Road, a ten minute walk from Anfield.  I'm not from Scandinavia and I've never been. 

I hang round with lads I've known since the age of eight when I moved house, we were all in the same class together, about fifteen of us.  We all still knock about together.  Some are married with kids, some aren't, but in essence we are all still the same lads from school who can all count on each other.  Your 'mates for life', if you like...

Two of them support Everton.

Tell me again who the People's Club are?

And they're loving this one lately, they say they were here first etc... they should be called Liverpool and have the Liver Bird as their symbol etc...

They should be thankful we're here because if we weren't, nobody would be talking about them the way they are this weekend becasue they simply don't matter any more in the grand scheme. 

When you think about it like that, WE'RE ALL THEY HAVE.

Quite sad isn't it?  Fucking scumbags.

So finally, a big 'well done' to Rafa.  No explanation needed.
jonnymac1979

Postby hello_red » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 pm

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,14272,6145_1897179,00.html

bloody Moyes talking to the sun about a merseyside based situation!  :angry:
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:38 pm

I just think to call anyone a small team is a bit patronising and unnecessary. Thats whats disrepectful.

Lets face it, if Rijkaard made the same comment following our game there we wouldnt like it would we? "Small teams always come here for a draw and it makes it tough and all" how would we feel after that?

He shouldnt refer to an opponent that way.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:48 pm

parchpea wrote:Lets face it, if Rijkaard made the same comment following our game there we wouldnt like it would we? "Small teams always come here for a draw and it makes it tough and all" how would we feel after that?

Yer, okay, it wouldn't feel very good, but the fact is if a person called us small, Rijkaard or otherwise, they would need their head testing.

Five European Cups and Eighteen Leagues makes us fucking huge.

Hugey, hugey, huge-huge. 

Who's bigger than Liverpool?
jonnymac1979

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:48 pm

parchpea wrote:I just think to call anyone a small team is a bit patronising and unnecessary. Thats whats disrepectful.

Lets face it, if Rijkaard made the same comment following our game there we wouldnt like it would we? "Small teams always come here for a draw and it makes it tough and all" how would we feel after that?

FFS Dry your eyes mate!

Its Everton we are talking about here....Fair play to Raffa for having a dig if that was his intention..
The shi.te they spout about themselves and us on a regular basis has set them up for some criticism and long may it continue!
66-1120597113

Postby Red @ Heart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:52 pm

parchpea wrote:I just think to call anyone a small team is a bit patronising and unnecessary. Thats whats disrepectful.

AC.Milan thought we were a small club, we were underdogs by far, Milan thought that they had the trophey at half time.
I know they aint Barcelona but in comparison. need i say more.

fúck everton, go on Benitez
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

I honestly couldnt care less about Everton but its a question of how the club is seen by others.

Liverpool has always been about fair play and respect through my eyes so this goes against the grain a tad. I would expect a comment like this at Chelsea or Man Utd but not at Anfield.

Anyways onwards and upwards!
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:10 pm

F*cking hell fire.

Rafa should have come out and said "Everton are a pile of sh*t with no ambition and no desire to win. If they were playing in my toilet, I'd flush the f*cker."

Stop whinging you bunch of nancys.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion