Rafa plans for a new dynasty

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu May 19, 2005 9:34 pm

From PremierLeague.com

BENITEZ PLANS LIVERPOOL DYNASTY
Ambitious Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez aims to win the Champions League and start his own Anfield dynasty to match those from the club's illustrious past.

The Spaniard, who has taken the club to their sixth European Cup final against AC Milan in Istanbul, knows he has a massive legacy to match if he is to emerge from the shadows of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan.

The Anfield boss believes victory in the Ataturk Stadium will put him on the road to one day being spoken of in the same breath as Liverpool's greatest ever managers.

Benitez points out in his three major jobs in Spain, at Extremadura, Tenerife and Valencia, he achieved the best spells in all three club's history.

He accepts at Liverpool he is moving up to a different level but the 44 year-old believes beating Milan will be the start in Turkey.

"In all the clubs I have worked at people talk to me about statistics but I like to leave them to the end of my time there," he said.

"Normally, I have very good records wherever I go. I was at Extremadura, then Tenerife and then Valencia and we had the best statistics in the history of each club when I was there.

"I have done it at three clubs. Now I will try and do the same here. It will be very, very difficult I know because the history of this club is so big.

"I have 20 years of my life as a manager yet and I have four more years left on my contract here and that is a lot of time.

"I am very confident and I want to win things. I know there are good teams in Europe and here, but if you don't believe in yourself, it will be impossible."

Benitez, who has no injury problems in his squad, insists there will be plenty of trophies for Liverpool to follow the one he believes his underdogs will win in Istanbul.

"We have played a lot of difficult sides in the tournament but after beating Juventus I think the players started to feel they could win the Champions League," he said.

"And we have played better in the Champions League because it is another style of football.

"Some teams play better in league and some in cups. We do well in cups."

And Benitez is not concerned by the claims coming from the Milan camp that Liverpool are defensive and are lucky to have reached this stage.

"It's not important what people say about us. We will just work really hard at our preparation and game plan and not listen to anyone from outside," he added.

"What is said doesn't motivate me, I don't need any more motivation. I already have a lot of it."

And although he is aware the final could go to penalties, Benitez insists he does not believe in practising them.

He said: "You can work on a training field but then when you have to take one in a match with the crowd and noise, you can still make a mistake.

"The most important thing is that players want to take penalties, that is the only thing I will need from them."

Great attitude, great "mentality" by the boss. Certainly looking forward to next season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Yer, i think this season was very much a learning curve (especially in the premiership). I have seen this season how far we have come with him as manager. I think with some decent signings in summer we may have a title challenge on its way. I have no doubt that with RB will become one of the best managers this club has ever had if not the best. As you say A.B. he has a great attitude and mentality. Another thing I like about him is he doesnt reveal anything to the media e.g. when players are linked with the club he says 'We always try to bring good players to the club'

He is a very tactical based coach, he looks at the oppositions weaknesses and exploits them to the maximum extent. Another thing I like about him is he makes good signings for bargain cash prices e.g. Alonso 10.75M Garcia 6M and look how they turned out. I have never been so excited for the next season. I can't help but think this season was a success and next season will be even more of a success.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 20, 2005 12:23 am

Great comments from a legend in the making. I too am excited for the future. Up the 'pool!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat May 21, 2005 12:09 pm

looking forward to the next season.

lets all believe in Rafa.

YNWA.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Sat May 21, 2005 12:10 pm

Cant wait till next season!!

Isnt it like 84 days or sumit :p
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby joependo » Sat May 21, 2005 3:25 pm

I can't wait for next season.They will have a great team lets hope Raffa can match paisley,fagan and shankly.Sami sed that the tactics by Raffa are great in the champ league and we match them,but in the premier league we have been too inconsistent.
joependo

Postby andy_g » Sat May 21, 2005 3:28 pm

nothing gets past our sami, eh?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:58 pm

Just dragged up this topic started by A.B so much optimism what's happened? i know over the course of many many topics we have all agreed to disagree on several matters but i can honestly say i think even with Rafa's formation of 1 upront and 2 games into the season :D and disgruntled supporters i think we will come good it's just a matter of faith.

I myself uptill now have had some bad moment's with faith i.e Gerrard and Houllier and said bloody stupid things only having to re evaluate myself afterwards, i suppose that's human nature, but come on people let's not make the same mistakes,  if we go on a sever draught of scoring goals and lacking in passion then we will have cause for concern but after only two games let's just see what happens uh :;): .

Walk On
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:02 pm

great attitude thats what we need confidence
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:14 pm

Rafas a clas act in whatever he does. Even at any press conferecne hes always cool and composed.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:24 pm

I'd never  seen that before and it's a great read!! First i've heard our Raffa blow his own trumpet!! But with his record he has every right to blow it loud!!As a lot of people have said it will take time.There'll be a lot of ups and downs on the way and yes it will be frustrating at times,but i trust Raffa will make us great again and soon!!
66-1120597113

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion