Rafa im here for good

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Rafa Benitez: I am here for good
Jun 10 2008 EXCLUSIVE by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today confirmed his "100% commitment" to Liverpool Football Club - despite yesterday's bleak financial figures.

The first accounts produced by Kop Holdings Ltd showed a £33m loss.

While this summer’s transfer budget had already been catered for in the January refinancing package, the Reds boss must still sell to generate further funds – but he insisted today that he remained totally focused on the task of restoring the Reds to the pinnacle of the Premier League.

“I said at the end of the season that I was very happy here and I will say it again,” said Benitez.

“The supporters have been absolutely magnificent with me, the staff are working very hard and I would not have brought players like Fernando Torres and the young players we have here if I did not have a long term vision for the club.

“Now is not the time to be saying goodbye!

“Fernando’s agent has asked about my Liverpool future and my answer is that I am 100% committed.  :glare:

“If we had a lot of money to spend it would obviously be better. But if we don’t it doesn’t matter.

“It is not about buying the most expensive players, it is about buying the right players and we can sell some players to get the others we need.

“We have the spine of the team and we just need others in other positions.

“Some teams around us are spending £20m and £30m on one or two players. But the important thing is to get the right players and my staff are working hard to do that.”

Gareth Barry remains Liverpool’s transfer priority and the Aston Villa skipper has turned up the heat on his club in a bid to push through his dream move to Anfield.

The Villa skipper phoned boss Martin O’Neill at the European Championships to plead for a move to Liverpool.

Villa rejected a £10m bid for Barry the day after Liverpool’s Champions League semi-final defeat by Chelsea, then turned down an improved cash plus players offer.

Since then Steve Gerrard has declared: “I am desperate for us to sign him,” and Barry himself has made it clear he would relish the switch.

The midfielder, who scored his first England goal in Trinidad last weekend, has now intensified his efforts to quit Villa Park.

Barry’s agent, Alex Black, said: “Gareth has spoken to Martin since he returned from England’s game in Trinidad and told him how he feels. At this stage of his career Gareth wants to be playing Champions League football and believes this is his chance to do it.”

Villa want a premium price for their captain’s services and are refusing any player-plus-cash offers.

But Barry hopes a compromise deal can be thrashed out at around £15m.

Espanyol winger Albert Riera is also a player Liverpool have looked at, but the Reds are not anticipating any imminent offer for his services.

Gerrard, meanwhile, must wait until August to discover whether he has won the race to become captain of club and country, despite reports suggesting Fabio Capello had already decided on the Reds star.

Gerrard was Capello’s first England skipper against Switzerland, with John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, David Beckham and Gareth Barry all wearing the armband since. But Capello insisted he will wait a few more weeks before deciding who will lead England into the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

“I have two candidates to be captain,” he said. “I think (I will decide) in August, ten days before the start of the new season.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpo....1049625

Made up apart from Torres's agent.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm

In Rafa i trust
Torres25

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 pm

As an agent, is normal he's requested info by clubs and tries to get those answers. The relevant thing is the answer, to which I answer, Huzzah!  :D

It's a bit strange to me the captains decission. I had we have that decission fixed, and I think it will be tough and quicksands for Rafa to explain why he changes the captaincy!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Good to hear and I suppose Torres' agent is only looking out for his his employer. At the end of the day Nando himself has been making all the right noise about staying.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Made up apart from Torres's agent.

Obviously Torres holds Rafa in high regards, I would of thought. Probably being in Liverpool after just one season and hearing the the possibilty of Rafa leaving may unsettle the kid. I wouldnt worry too much about that.
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:50 pm

I dont like it when Rafa says it does'nt matter if we have money to spend or not!

Sorry Rafa but if you want to compete it does and i think he knows that!
Seems to me that he is resigned to the fact that the Yanks have nothing for him.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I dont like it when Rafa says it does'nt matter if we have money to spend or not!

What so because you and all the other ninkonpoops wont be able to whinge and use as an excuse.

Infact I'd rate and respect Rafa more for coming out and saying this, deep down he may not believe it, but at least hes trying to stay positive and be positive rather than whinging and using it as an excuse like a few people on here do.

A bad workman always blames his tools.

In reality Rafa may not have the money to compete but at least make a damn good fight of it, exactly what he done when he was at Valencia and competing with Barc and Madrid.
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Ninkonpoops! :laugh:
Aint heard that in a while!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Money does matter & ur a ninkonpoop 4 thinking that it doesnt

look at every league in the world almost every years its the richest club that wins the league
Torres25

Postby tubby » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:08 pm

We are so lucky to have a manager like Rafa. I just fear that the ignorance of the owners will force him out.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Sabre wrote:It's a bit strange to me the captains decission. I had we have that decission fixed, and I think it will be tough and quicksands for Rafa to explain why he changes the captaincy!

Mate, the article was about England's captaincy.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Lack of money if the reason we have continually failed land Daniel Alves since Rafa came here, the best right-back on the planet bar none

the reason we lost out on Ronaldo because we were haggling Lisbon 4 a 4-6 million deal, united came in 12+ mill no messing about got him, now hes 1 of the best maybe the best player on the planet

the reason we never got Aguero afew seasons ago, he wanted 2 come 2 us but we couldnt go over 9 mill Alt. Madrid come in 15 mill get him now hes 1 of the best forwards on the planet

the reason teams constantly crew us over buy loanin r players 4 a year promising theyll cough up the cheddar next season only 2 do a u turn when its time, because they now were desperate & can take advantage

so dont come out with :censored: like lack of moneys an excuse

nobhead
Torres25

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Effes wrote:
Sabre wrote:It's a bit strange to me the captains decission. I had we have that decission fixed, and I think it will be tough and quicksands for Rafa to explain why he changes the captaincy!

Mate, the article was about England's captaincy.

Ah, that's what happens when you focus on the quotes and skip the article, thanks mate.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Torres25 wrote:Money does matter & ur a ninkonpoop 4 thinking that it doesnt

look at every league in the world almost every years its the richest club that wins the league

You obviously MISSED the point.  :no
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Bamaga man wrote:ninkonpoops

:laugh:

People have to remember aswell that our back 4 has cost half of ferdinands transfer, not to mention the other sh!tehawks at the Mancs & Chelsea.

Rafa puts Pennant on the bench he cost 7 million, Chelsea put Sheva & SWP on the bench combined cost 47 million not to mention the others.

Until he is given the proper funds its very unfair to judge him whilst the others are still spending.

Even if rafa left another manager wouldnt have won us the prem last season either.

Looking forward to next season with Babel and Torres and hopefully 2 brilliant wingers.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion