Rafa fights back - Echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Well said Rafa - you tell em! ..or is he sounding like a man on the edge?

Rafa Benitez blasts Premier League

Aug 22 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today accused the Premier League of unfair treatment which threatens to wreck any chance of a Liverpool title challenge.

A furious Reds boss says it’s clear decisions are being taken which favour the Reds’ rivals, with yesterday’s dismissal of Gabriel Heinze’s bid to join Liverpool the latest setback.

In a blistering attack, Benitez said today: “I would like to ask the Premier League a number of questions. How can a player with a signed agreement be treated like this?

“He has a document which is clear, but the Premier League prefers to believe the word of someone else who made a mistake. I know there were accusations made against Liverpool in the hearing which were unbelievable. How can this be allowed?

“Then I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always plays the most fixtures, away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break? We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season.

“Then I want to ask the Premier League why it was so so difficult for Liverpool to sign Javier Mascherano, when we had to wait a long time for the paperwork, but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?

“It’s going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way.

“We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us.”

Benitez is pondering his contingency plan on Heinze, while recognising the courage the player has shown in a bid to join Liverpool. Heinze is ready to risk being stuck in limbo for a year to fight on for his move to Liverpool.

His appeal against the decision denying his switch to Anfield won’t be heard until September - after the transfer deadline.

But if the Argentine is successful in a fresh hearing, there is a provision for a deal to proceed outside the transfer window.

Should his appeal fail, however, he’ll be stuck in United’s reserves for the season, until he can buy himself out of the club next summer.

The 29-year-old was distraught following yesterday’s verdict, but his appeal will be heard by a new committee. Yesterday, a two man panel consisting of Premier League Chairman Sir David Richards (ex-Sheffield Wednesday) and legal advisor Peter McCormick (ex-Leeds) rejected the Manchester United defender’s claim he had permission to join any club for £6.8m.

They agreed with the submissions of United chief executive David Gill and manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who argued it was made clear from the outset the agreement referred only to a foreign transfer.

It is being suggested Gill also made the extraordinary claim that Liverpool asked Crystal Palace to sign Heinze on their behalf, before selling him on to the Reds. The fact the exit fee was valued in euros rather than pounds was used as a key argument.

An appeal panel will consist of three, including a PFA representative and a high ranking member of the legal profession.

Heinze remains optimistic an appeal will be accepted and is in no mood to give up on his hopes of moving to Liverpool.

His solicitor, Richard Green, said today: “We are extremely disappointed with the result and we will be appealing.”

There is no means of appeal to the Premier League after the next hearing.

United are now hoping to offload Heinze to another club, and are prepared to accept much less than £6.8m.

They also know Heinze will be in a position to force his move to Liverpool within 12 months.

The difficulty for Liverpool boss Benitez is he’s keen for a defensive reinforcement before the end of this month, and now knows he can’t rely on the Heinze verdict going the player’s way.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Red Tom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Rafa said it was easy for Tevez to join Man Utd?  To be honest that doesn't make him look too well informed does it?  Also the move of Mascherano to Liverpool would have made any subsequent moves by either Tevez or Mascherano eaisier, as a lot of the work had already been done, and could just be re-applied to Tevez.
Red Red Tom

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:32 pm

I love Rafa but I must admit he sounds a bit Mourinho-esque there, and it's a bit worrying that he's letting his guard down like this, moaning about relatively trivial things when he should be 100% focussed on preparing his players.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Nelly Jamba » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Actually Rafa was correct. Man Utd coud actually sign Tevez outright despite the fact that Tevez was co-owned. Liverpool was made to go through all the paperwork just to loan Mascherano.
Nelly Jamba

Postby MightyLFC » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

If i was Rafa i would not be arsed
MightyLFC

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:41 pm

stmichael wrote:I love Rafa but I must admit he sounds a bit Mourinho-esque there, and it's a bit worrying that he's letting his guard down like this, moaning about relatively trivial things when he should be 100% focussed on preparing his players.

I tend to echo those sentiments as well. But something 'fishy' went on at this hearing to my mind and i don't blame him for speaking out in the interests of the club. Besides, whether or not he is making a poor judgement call on opening his mouth in this manner...he has got valid points. And obvious frustrations which deserve (will most likely get ignored) airing.

btw. cue the 'Rafa's fed up and he wants out bollox' from the usual sources.
Last edited by red37 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:42 pm

I think he has let himself down here.  It is not the Liverpool way to moan about decisions that don't go our way.  Shut up and prove it on the field.. thats how it is done!
:(
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby MightyLFC » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I think he has let himself down here.  It is not the Liverpool way to moan about decisions that don't go our way.  Shut up and prove it on the field.. thats how it is done!

I agree !
MightyLFC

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Red Red Tom wrote:Rafa said it was easy for Tevez to join Man Utd?  To be honest that doesn't make him look too well informed does it?  Also the move of Mascherano to Liverpool would have made any subsequent moves by either Tevez or Mascherano eaisier, as a lot of the work had already been done, and could just be re-applied to Tevez.

The reason Tevez didn't sign for man utd sooner was because of west ham holding on to his registration this complicated matters and was the reason the whole thing was drawn out, Rafa is refering to the fact that as soon as Tevez's registration was released by west ham the move was instant. Unlike our move for Mascherano which dragged on and on outside the transfer window even tho his registration was released by west ham pretty much right away.

Also the amount of times the premier league end up favouring man utd or other big teams over us is unbelievably blatent, how can the league favour man utds case for hienze over ours, the player had a written agreement over a minimum fee release clause with man utd of around 6 mill, however man utd have refused to sell him to us just because we are liverpool, how can man utd justify that to the league so well that they favour a blatent breach of contract.

As for the fixtures im suprised something wasnt said last season, the amount of early KO's that happened last season was a joke, no wonder we didnt win away from home for so long.

I like that Rafa has said this, obviously he feels that if you dont moan and state your case constantly in the press ala Jose and Fergie nothing will get done in favour of your club.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm

True. Also the rant about the fixtures seem a bit defeatest at such an early stage of the season. Whats more odd is why Rafa didnt have any repalcments lined up before the hearing as this was always an outcome.

Or maybe this is just Rafa flexing his muslces.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:56 pm

I think Rafa did the right thing....!!  We have the right to speak out , and there is nothing wrong in what Rafa has said. It took way long before the mascherano deal was completed and now its going to happen with heinze.
Elchris

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:59 pm

MightyLFC wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I think he has let himself down here.  It is not the Liverpool way to moan about decisions that don't go our way.  Shut up and prove it on the field.. thats how it is done!

I agree !

Bollox!

This club gets shafted at each and every opportunity by them. All this that Rafa has said in the Echo..has been said in one form or another on here by all of us at some stage. Get a grip. The fella is standing OUR... corner here and you lot call him 'classless' ? The man has more class/integrity/humility in him than any gaffer ive seen for a long time. F**k the media...f**k the oppo. And a big fat F**k off to the FA.  Let everyone hate LFC again - f**k the lot of em!

I Love the bones of the man - he is made for us.

Benitez has taken this club forwards..has introduced a fighting spirit which i f**kin love to see. Now he is standing up for the clubs interests and he HAS got reasonable points to 'moan' about. Ferguson/Mourinho and Wenger have been getting the soft soap for years off that shower of gobsh1tes down there. When all the while Liverpool get treated as some second class (f**k..worse on occasion!) laughing stock!

Look at the issues of early K.O's alone? we get taken the f**kin cleaners season after season. About time this Pheonix came out the ashes and started biting the f**k out of whoever hand tries to goad it! Nice guys do not finish up first - be told.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm

bavlondon wrote:Also the rant about the fixtures seem a bit defeatest at such an early stage of the season.

Case overruled. These are the early K.O's from last season:

Liverpool 10
Man Utd 5
Charlton 4
Chelsea 4
Everton 4
Fulham 4
Man City 4
Tottenham 4
West Ham 4
Wigan 4
Aston Villa 3
Portsmouth 3
Arsenal 2
Bolton 2
Newcastle 2
Reading 2
Sheff Utd 2
Watford 1
Blackburn 0
Middlesbrough 0

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby grayghost » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Red Red Tom wrote:Rafa said it was easy for Tevez to join Man Utd?  To be honest that doesn't make him look too well informed does it?  Also the move of Mascherano to Liverpool would have made any subsequent moves by either Tevez or Mascherano eaisier, as a lot of the work had already been done, and could just be re-applied to Tevez.

What Rafa means was as sone as the deal with West ham and his owner was sorted Man u  got Tevez in a matter of days while it took us weeks to get Masherino.
grayghost

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 pm

I want to know why for the last god knows how many seasons we have had away games to start the season while our main rivals get home first games.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion