Rafa explains - I agree

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:01 pm

See the hint below....Its seems its not rafa who wants the 4th place but the higher-ups. Rafa played a full-strength team against watford, ...wouldn't he do the same againt burnley (given the league is out of our reach)......

Heard some fans are on his back now......hope those idiots don't create a scene at southampton.

We have got the best possible manager we can get.

<<<<But the board want something in the future and I must consider that and what people want here.” >>>>

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/01/21/story185776.html

Benitez looks at bigger picture
21/01/2005 - 15:16:01

Rafael Benitez admits he has suffered the most difficult week of his short time as Liverpool boss – but insists his decisions were for the good of the club.

The Anfield chief has been criticised for fielding a weakened side for the FA Cup defeat at Burnley, just four days after losing at home to bitter rivals Manchester United.

The former Valencia boss accepts his policies will now be under even greater scrutiny in a crucial Premiership trip to face Southampton.

Benitez insists he was not being disrespectful to the traditions of the FA Cup at Turf Moor, but was making decisions to benefit the club in the long term.

It has emerged skipper Steven Gerrard would have been unfit to play at Burnley with a thigh muscle injury that could also rule him out at St Mary’s.

Only Jamie Carragher, John Arne Riise, Dietmar Hamann and Luis Garcia have been added to that squad from Turf Moor, such is the injury problems Benitez faces.

“I have to look at the bigger picture,” Benitez said. “I am working to build a new team for the future and if you want the team rebuilt then you need money.

“We do not have much money here at the moment which is why I am trying to be imaginative in the transfer market.

“You need to get into the Champions League and get as far as possible because that means more finances.

“I never want to be a manager who says we can’t win this or that competition, but the reality is I know we don’t have a squad which can compete for four trophies.

“I want to be able to make a squad that can do so in the future, to build a squad that can fight in four competitions but at the moment it is difficult for us to do so.”

Benitez has added 19-year-old England Under-21 keeper Scott Carson to his squad and could also recall Fernando Morientes and Mauricio Pellegrino, with the two new signings not registered in time to play at Burnley.

“I do understand the situation with the FA Cup, I discussed it with our English coaches and staff. But we have to look at the future,” he added.

“We have a lot of games coming up, that is what was on my mind. I know only two or three clubs who have big enough squads for four competitions.

“But there are only a few who are playing in the Champions League, it takes you to another level and it is not a problem for the majority of clubs to contend with.

“At this moment it is impossible for us, our squad is not big enough for all four and that is why we have signed Carson and why we are still looking to boost our squad.

“If you have to play a lot of games in a short time, and always at the highest level, it is difficult for the players. We have Watford in the Carling Cup next week and soon the Champions League again, but I am sure we will finish in the top four.”

He added: “Gerrard is a doubt. The question for me is the future and we knew he was not fit for Burnley and if we do play him too quickly he could be out for a month, two months. We have seen that with Milan Baros.

“It is my decision, to decide on my team and to take account of the future. I decided he could not play at Burnley and he may not play at Southampton. I would rather I had him fit for the games next week.

“Perhaps it has been the most difficult week for me here. But I have to decide things not only for one game but for the future and to see the bigger picture.

“I was also upset by what happened at Burnley, not just our fans. We went there to win and I had to use a mix of senior and young players. You have to look at the future and consider how your players are.

“I understand what people are saying about the FA Cup. But I needed to do the best thing for my club.

“I accept what has been said, I understand, but I must do what I think best for my club and for my players.

“I want to learn about football in a foreign country, and I understand why people are disappointed by losing in the FA Cup. But the board want something in the future and I must consider that and what people want here.”
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:29 pm

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=322522&cc=4716

Benitez tries to see the bigger picture

Rafael Benitez admits he has suffered the most difficult week of his short time as Liverpool boss - but insists his decisions were for the good of the club.
The Anfield chief has been criticised for fielding a weakened side for the FA Cup defeat at Burnley, just four days after losing at home to bitter rivals Manchester United.

The former Valencia boss accepts his policies will now be under even greater scrutiny in a crucial Premiership trip to face Southampton.

Benitez insists he was not being disrespectful to the traditions of the FA Cup at Turf Moor, but was making decisions to benefit the club in the long term.

It has emerged skipper Steven Gerrard would have been unfit to play at Burnley with a thigh muscle injury that could also rule him out at St Mary's.

Only Jamie Carragher, John Arne Riise, Dietmar Hamann and Luis Garcia have been added to that squad from Turf Moor, such is the injury problems Benitez faces.

'I have to look at the bigger picture,' Benitez said. 'I am working to build a new team for the future and if you want the team rebuilt then you need money.

'We do not have much money here at the moment which is why I am trying to be imaginative in the transfer market.

'You need to get into the Champions League and get as far as possible because that means more finances.

'I never want to be a manager who says we can't win this or that competition, but the reality is I know we don't have a squad which can compete for four trophies.

'I want to be able to make a squad that can do so in the future, to build a squad that can fight in four competitions but at the moment it is difficult for us to do so.'

Benitez has added 19-year-old England Under-21 keeper Scott Carson to his squad and could also recall Fernando Morientes and Mauricio Pellegrino, with the two new signings not registered in time to play at Burnley.

'I do understand the situation with the FA Cup, I discussed it with our English coaches and staff. But we have to look at the future,' he added.

'We have a lot of games coming up, that is what was on my mind. I know only two or three clubs who have big enough squads for four competitions.

'But there are only a few who are playing in the Champions League, it takes you to another level and it is not a problem for the majority of clubs to contend with.

'At this moment it is impossible for us, our squad is not big enough for all four and that is why we have signed Carson and why we are still looking to boost our squad.

'If you have to play a lot of games in a short time, and always at the highest level, it is difficult for the players. We have Watford in the Carling Cup next week and soon the Champions League again, but I am sure we will finish in the top four.'

He added: 'Gerrard is a doubt. The question for me is the future and we knew he was not fit for Burnley and if we do play him too quickly he could be out for a month, two months. We have seen that with Milan Baros.

'It is my decision, to decide on my team and to take account of the future. I decided he could not play at Burnley and he may not play at Southampton. I would rather I had him fit for the games next week.

'Perhaps it has been the most difficult week for me here. But I have to decide things not only for one game but for the future and to see the bigger picture.

'I was also upset by what happened at Burnley, not just our fans. We went there to win and I had to use a mix of senior and young players. You have to look at the future and consider how your players are.

'I understand what people are saying about the FA Cup. But I needed to do the best thing for my club.

'I accept what has been said, I understand, but I must do what I think best for my club and for my players.

'I want to learn about football in a foreign country, and I understand why people are disappointed by losing in the FA Cup. But the board want something in the future and I must consider that and what people want here.'
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1105728556 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:20 pm

Redrider and I have been a banging on about having no money which means the club needs some new players but dont have the dosh.
116-1105728556

Postby Redrider » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:26 pm

Hey Turdinator, what's this, you know Granny gets paranoid when I appear on the same Topic as you !
The Rock is ok, he knows the score !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion